Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 17:16   #106

Boat: Searay 380DA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Blender Bo'sun, how do you like Antioch? We might be thinking about the Bay for a 35' sailboat next summer (4'11" draft, 34'8" loa, 10'0" beam, 48' mast clearance). Also, I'm curious; is Antioch far enough up toward the Delta country to be only medium brackish or is it still semi-salty tidal country?

And how much do property taxes run on boats in Contra Costa county? Is CC one of the more reasonable bay area counties or which county assessors in the area are more or less piratical to boat owners?
We have been in Antioch since 1999. We currently have a 38' Searay in A dock. As far as I know, the water is fully fresh in Antioch - I believe that it is slightly brackish in Pittsburg, and 10% by the time you get to Benicia. The docks and the covers are kept in nice condition. The biggest problems are petty thievery and weeds. We have been broken into twice in the past three years. Nothing was taken the first time, but the last time, we lost some of our liquor, some aspirin (at least they go together), a flare gun, and our boat hook. The perps had been thieving for a few months between Bethel Island and Pittsburg, entering marinas on a RIB. They were caught a few weeks ago trying to remove a wakeboard tower off of a boat in broad daylight.

As someone else mentioned, property tax is 1.1% of assessed value. For the mud under my slip, we are paying about $100.
Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:17   #107

Boat: Searay 380DA
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What is a covered slip?

barnie
There is an aluminum shed covering the entire dock. It's pretty common in the Delta. Keeps the sun off of the boat, and makes them seem a lot younger than uncovered boats.
Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:13   #108

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
covered slip

Obviously a covered slip is a powerboat thing, as seen in the southern part of the Antioch marina. Either that, or it's an item of lingerie that's not showing!

Is petty crime a hassle in the Pittsburg area?
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
You guys are going to HATE me.... But in Key West, I'm paying just a tad over $400/mo for a liveaboard slip.... Add in water, electric, garbage, and sewer and I'm $3 short of $500/mo. The average commercial liveaboard slip is about 3x that IF you can find one.

I got in on the Houseboat Row deal some 10-12 years ago. For those not familiar, there were floating homes along the seawall on S. Roosevelt Blvd. The condo-commandos didn't care for them "squatting" on "their" waterfront, and pressured the City to have them booted out.

Short story long..... lawsuits ensued both directions and the outcome was that the City had to provide space for the floating homes elsewhere. Elsewhere was Garrison Bight. Only problem was there were more people wanting "in" on the deal than there were slips..... more lawsuits..... Then it was decided a "lottery" would award a slip lease.

Well..... I won one and have been there ever since. Rent can only go up 3% and I can "sell" my slip rights. I will be there a very long time... unless there is another lawsuit!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:42   #110

Boat: Baba 30
It depends on where you live I suppose . If I had to pay $6,000 a year for a slip it better come with free haul outs and free drinks !!!! Our slip fee is $1,500 for a year (40ft) with free storage, and its a NICE marina. We are in MD on the Chesapeake Bay. We arent rich, but your right boats are expensive. If you are getting a boat to just weekend sail or even less, your wasting money. Get in a boat partnership. If you are going to cruise on it for months out of a year then its worth it.
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 19:44   #111

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Now ya tell me!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote