Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 01:44   #61

Re: Aspiring Cruiser Seeks Input on his "Plan"

2003, my Very Significant Other got sick.

We did the same thing anybody would do in that situation... we acquired a retired commercial truck, and converted it to an ExpeditionVehicle-slash-TinyHomeOnWheels.

Seven days after we acquired it, we left Oregon in the general direction of south America.
Twenty-four months twenty-four thousand miles.

Alaska. Panama.
All over north and central America.
Winters on remote Baja beaches.

Some folks enjoy planning. I understand that.
Other folks enjoy doing.

2009, VSO transitioned to TheGreatBoondockInTheSky.
I kept our ExpeditionVehicle.
I'm writing this laying in its bed boondocking in a tiny remote Oregon coastal village.

My suggestion:
*** Enjoy your planning.
My other suggestion:
*** Enjoy the people sharing your time.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 13:59   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Agree with Sailorboy1 -- when we started looking so many years ago I lived in Conn. Did all the research all the looking and all the talking with folks. Then met Ted Novakowski of SoundYachts -and he invited me onto a boat in his yard - took about 15secs to show ignorant I was - Ted was patient and spent a lot of time teaching me. Eventually boat a brand new Jeanneau DS40 from him in 2003 (lots of discounts for shows ect) - best choice ever - You may think oh no no production boat but we have sailed across the Atlantic (no ARC - we do things on our own) - a circum nav of the Black Sea - only boat I know that has done it as most don't go to Russia, and sailing almost all the Med I would not have another boat. She is strong fast and a great sailing boat. OH and we have lived on her for 12 years now.

SoulMates, my boat, is now 16 years old and while we keep her great shape she is like any French Mistress is a bit expensive. Your buying a 30 year old boat it may require more for updating her than spending more on the front end and getting a newer boat. And doing the work in the northeast in the winter is something to really consider.

Sailing NE is ok but once it gets cold it is really uncomfortable so assume you will park it and move ashore or get a big heater.

Why not the Bahamas? We learned so much sailing the Bahamas from weather, to reading water, to planning for anchorages for weather, to provisioning, to electrical needs to water needs and the list just continues. It really set us up for what we are doing now.

I could continue but will stop here. as for our costs check this
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-213259.html
Thanks for a very enlightening post/breakdown of monthly cost... would those here who are experienced cruisers/full time liveaboard folks say that around $3500/mo is a reasonable average cost?
kd410se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 14:17   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd410se View Post
Thanks for a very enlightening post/breakdown of monthly cost... would those here who are experienced cruisers/full time liveaboard folks say that around $3500/mo is a reasonable average cost?
I would say yes. Attached are my past 3 years. Yes I COULD have done it for less, but it hasn't been alife of boat luxury. It's just living a good life.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Money spent cruising.xls (56.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 18-09-2019, 14:40   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I would say yes. Attached are my past 3 years. Yes I COULD have done it for less, but it hasn't been alife of boat luxury. It's just living a good life.
If you don’t mind me asking, is that for one or two souls aboard? I’d very likely be alone on whatever boat I end up getting, but I can’t imagine the maintenance would be much less for a 35-ish’ boat than a 41’ boat. Then again, at this point in the game I know very little about the whole thing. That’s why I’m here!! To learn form the experts!
Old 18-09-2019, 18:54   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd410se View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, is that for one or two souls aboard? I’d very likely be alone on whatever boat I end up getting, but I can’t imagine the maintenance would be much less for a 35-ish’ boat than a 41’ boat. Then again, at this point in the game I know very little about the whole thing. That’s why I’m here!! To learn form the experts!
That’s for 2 people

Btw - I ain’t no expert
Old 19-09-2019, 06:12   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That’s for 2 people

Btw - I ain’t no expert
One of the best ways to identify the true experts is when they deny their expertise... like asking a welder “do you know what you’re doing?” If they say no, you can be pretty sure they’re good!!
Old 25-12-2019, 09:05   #67

Boat: Nordic 40

Merry xmas everyone!

Thanks for all you're wonderful contributions. Just wanted to post a quick update for those who are curious.

Buying the boat

We bought the Nordic 40 SE! In the end we agreed on $40,000 down from $60,000. Which felt fair based on the reported condition from the surveyor. Overall the boat is well equipped for cruising and in good shape. No major issues reported but a punch list of about 50 smaller items that need to be looked at. But nothing stopping us from using the boat. Overall I felt like we got a good deal on boat that was well taken care of, has been a bit neglected over the past few years but has some awesome potential.

No. Sleep. Till Brooklyn!

Bringing the boat back from Long Island was a total breeze... Jk. What should have have been a two day trip down the long island sound ended up taking two weeks And of course what cruise isn't complete with out sponging sewage out of the cockpit locker. Am I right?? But what made it all worth while was coming down the east river under the Brooklyn Bridge. As someone who grew up in the city, my mind was blown. Out of the east river under the Verazano, past Coney island and back to Brooklyn.

Back on The Hard

She's out of the water on the hard for winter storage. The engine and water system has been Winterized. And I'm going through and starting to go through my punch list and get things in order and start to tackle my long list of winter repairs so we can get her back in the water come spring.

A lot to learn

I'll be the first to admit I've bitten off probably more than I can chew. Literally everyone's reaction has been pretty consistent when I tell them it's my first boat. "that's a lot of boat for your first boat" And yes what can go wrong? Everything but that's ok. I feel lucky to have a great community of people here who are willing to share their experience and knowledge. It's an exciting challenge and we're not going through it alone.

Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement.
toms-gonesailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:46   #68

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms-gonesailin View Post
Merry xmas everyone!

Thanks for all you're wonderful contributions. Just wanted to post a quick update for those who are curious.

Buying the boat

We bought the Nordic 40 SE! In the end we agreed on $40,000 down from $60,000. Which felt fair based on the reported condition from the surveyor. Overall the boat is well equipped for cruising and in good shape. No major issues reported but a punch list of about 50 smaller items that need to be looked at. But nothing stopping us from using the boat. Overall I felt like we got a good deal on boat that was well taken care of, has been a bit neglected over the past few years but has some awesome potential.

Bringing the boat back from Long Island was a total breeze... Jk. What should have have been a two day trip down the long island sound ended up taking two weeks And of course what cruise isn't complete with out sponging sewage out of the cockpit locker. Am I right?? But what made it all worth while was coming down the east river under the Brooklyn Bridge. As someone who grew up in the city, my mind was blown. Out of the east river under the Verazano, past Coney island and back to Brooklyn.

Back on The Hard

She's out of the water on the hard for winter storage. The engine and water system has been Winterized. And I'm going through and starting to go through my punch list and get things in order and start to tackle my long list of winter repairs so we can get her back in the water come spring.

A lot to learn

I'll be the first to admit I've bitten off probably more than I can chew. Literally everyone's reaction has been pretty consistent when I tell them it's my first boat. "that's a lot of boat for your first boat" And yes what can go wrong? Everything but that's ok. I feel lucky to have a great community of people here who are willing to share their experience and knowledge. It's an exciting challenge and we're not going through it alone.

Congratulations. The boat you have purchased is an excellent sailboat, moderate in all respects, and the price you mentioned is shockingly low in my opinion.

Good luck in your punchlist.

And sail the heck out if it, you won't regret the time you spend on the water acquiring experiences, most fun, some unpleasant, but all together, invaluable.
Old 25-12-2019, 10:01   #69

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms-gonesailin View Post
Merry xmas everyone!

Buying the boat

Back on The Hard

A lot to learn

Congratulations!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 11:18   #70

Boat: LeComte NE 38

Dear Tomsgonesailin'

Congrats on the Nordic 40 - an excellent choice and you really got a great deal at 40k for a very capable boat. Sounds like your cruise back thru LI Sound was a good first adventure. I spoke with Derrick (your surveyor and a friend) when he was in middle of survey and he was positively impressed with the boat and I am very glad that worked out. Let me know about the windward performance of this boat once you get her back in the water next Spring. Also - if you are back in Sag Harbor - let me know so we can meet up. I've sailed extensively in New England and can give you some good first hand tips on great places to explore. You are well on the way to follow your dream - wish you all the best.

Paul
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, nordic, nordic 40, passport 40