Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 10:56   #16

Boat: Rawson 30PH
Re: Best place in USA/World to buy a used boat

A question for the U.K. contingent - will/ has the Brexit process hurt or helped prices in area?
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:17   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranshiro View Post
I'm an American currently living in eastern Asia. The plan has always been that in a few years from now I will get a new catamaran and sail the world full time. However I know the motto of cruisers is "don't wait, go now." So my current plan is to buy a cheaper used monohull and sail around as much as I can, then in a few years transition back to the original plan of buying a new catamaran.

As such I'm curious where is the "best" physical location to buy a used boat? What I mean is I'm sure that any used boat I buy will need some level of repairs and/or upgrades. So what are some areas that not only have many boats for sale at a good price, but also has access to plenty of shops that sell boat equipment and a lot of experienced people who can repair/install things that I might need assistance with.

I put USA only because I am American, but since I haven't been back in nearly two decades, it doesn't have to be in USA. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, as long as language is not an issue. Looking online, various parts of Europe have many boats for sale but I'm not sure if parts/service are more expensive there. Or if there are other parts of the world where boats/parts/services might be cheaper but the quality is just as good as the rest of the world.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
One unanswered aspect of your question are the boat makes/models you would consider i.e. if you are looking at particular makes/models, they may not be in whatever you determine is the best deal area. Boats are where they are and, if you have specific desires/budget limitations, you must go to them.

My boat search lasted five years where I narrowed-down a data base of over 3,000 boats in various rig configurations to an desirable few; none of the boats I wanted and could afford were in my area or the west coast including British Columbia/Alaska. I ended up finally locating one in northern Florida that accepted my second offer some five months later.

That said, there are additional expenses involved above and beyond the cost of the boat that you should consider beforehand. That would include shipping and preparation, registration, insurance for the area you are/would be in, customs if importing, duties, etc..

If you are not wedded to particular makes or models, just buying something available in your area is the cleanest way to go; most owners do.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:51   #18

Thank you all for the great info.

I actually have some family in that area of Texas that I should visit if/when I'm back in the states. So if I am there I'll take a look at what is available in that area.

Great point about the value of the Canadian dollar and the lighter weather conditions in the NW.

I must admit I hadn't really given much consideration to areas like Thailand and the Philippines, as I had worried that language might be an issue. Also I had previously reached out to some friends of friends who are tour guides in those countries, just to ask what sailing is like there. That somehow resulted in brokers they know sending me an endless stream of formerly chattered catamarans that are for sale. I was beginning to think that is all that is available in the region. But based on your great info, it appears I need to take a deeper look myself.

Thank you for the info on Trinidad. My original thinking was that there must be a lot of skilled labor for a great rate, but that it would be harder to get supplies and the selection might be less than other areas. So thank you for providing the pros and the cons.

Ok you just blew my mind about Croatia. Actually if I'm being honest, I don't know if it's ignorance or what, but I had always assumed that getting a used charter boat was not so wise. That being said such a cheaper price than what is already on yachtworld would do a lot to allay my fears, be they rational or not.

On top of that I had assumed that while labor is skilled and widely available, that it must be quite expensive. Shocking to hear that it's not an arm and a leg.
I'm curious to know, did you end up buying a used catamaran from one of those charter companies? If so, i'd love to hear more about your experience.
Ranshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 13:53   #19

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Imho, bargains are to be had world wide, just a case of knowing about it! Study the internet pages, talk to Cruisers, visit Marina's and boatyards etc. Doesn't matter where you buy or how much you pay for it, someone will always tell you that you could have done better or they knew of a better bargain at the time!
I live in Australia, have bought two boats over the years that required work, but for the price, were ok buys. I recently bought a Roberts 42 Spray (steely) deceased estate. I purchased it at a fair price. It needed a fair bit of work, mainly TLC as the last few years it had been let go, however the bones of the boat were very good. My missus and I purchased the boat in August this year and put in12-14 hour days, 7 days a week, it seemed that we had our hands in our pocket all the time, but we splashed her around a month ago, still work to do but the boat is ready to go. Doing our sums, we probably spent a further $10 -15K whilst on the Hard. If we had to pay someone to do the work, then the boat would not have been a viable proposition. We went through a survey after completion of the work and she was valued and insured around four times more than what she owes us.
When your ear is to the ground, you will hear of good buys almost every other day.
Don't give up and tell as many people as you can, that you are looking for a boat, you never know who they might talk to or who talks to them.
Good luck.
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 14:59   #20

The best places to buy a used boat are either Brigadoon or Shangri-la.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 15:19   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

California...and arrange for offshore delivery.

Heaps of boats to choose from. A form of English mostly spoken. And, it's the gateway to the Pacific. Good provisioning.

Both the Australian and the NZ markets are smaller than CA. But the Kiwis make some lovely boats, and the USD is strong relative to both currencies. However, some of the best Pacific places are upwind from both countries.

Ann
Old 19-12-2019, 18:31   #22

Quote:
I'm an American currently living in eastern Asia. The plan has always been that in a few years from now I will get a new catamaran and sail the world full time. However I know the motto of cruisers is "don't wait, go now." So my current plan is to buy a cheaper used monohull and sail around as much as I can, then in a few years transition back to the original plan of buying a new catamaran.

As such I'm curious where is the "best" physical location to buy a used boat? What I mean is I'm sure that any used boat I buy will need some level of repairs and/or upgrades. So what are some areas that not only have many boats for sale at a good price, but also has access to plenty of shops that sell boat equipment and a lot of experienced people who can repair/install things that I might need assistance with.

I put USA only because I am American, but since I haven't been back in nearly two decades, it doesn't have to be in USA. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, as long as language is not an issue. Looking online, various parts of Europe have many boats for sale but I'm not sure if parts/service are more expensive there. Or if there are other parts of the world where boats/parts/services might be cheaper but the quality is just as good as the rest of the world.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
australia look on google yachthub,also gumtree,lot of bargins also the exchange rate
rogue trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 18:48   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i can only speak to my own experience that Kemah Tx is a good place-- i live here but bought my boat in Ft Lauderdale Fla and brought it back here-- Kent Little at Little Yacht Sales here in Kemah did a ton of work finding my boat ( he drove 3 hours out of his way while on a trip to Fla to find my boat). He has a good reputation as a straight shooter- i would recommend him strongly. good luck
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 19:23   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are many places in the world where used boats congregate, but consider what do you plan to do once you buy it? Almost certainly it will need some work, even if in good shape, there is always something. So services, parts, prices are worth investigating in your venues of choice. And, what is your sailing experience? If you buy a boat down under are you ready to brave the Southern Ocean on your madien voyage...or would other cruising grounds provide you a gentler start?

Another place to add to the list of where used boats & old cruisers congreate is Rio Dulce, Guatemala.

There are also large charter fleets in the Eastern Caribbean & elsewhere from which boats are regularly sold...just look at map of Moorings/Sunsail bases. Of course, buying boats out of charter service is a whole other subject, but it can be done with good results.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 19:51   #25

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
... And, what is your sailing experience? If you buy a boat down under are you ready to brave the Southern Ocean on your maiden voyage...or would other cruising grounds provide you a gentler start?...
It's not only facing the Southern Ocean, but buying a boat in NZ or Oz means 'escape' from either country can only be done between May and August given the cyclone season. And unless you plan to cruise Asia, most of the Pacific islands that people typically visit are to windward.

In my own view many of the ocean cruisers that do arrive in NZ, and are then put up for sale, are worn out and tired after thousands of blue water miles. So from the distance of your armchair, prices may appear advantageous but the reality is that many such boats are in need of major and costly refits before they're fit to go anywhere. Sure not all. But generalising, the locals will sniff out any bargains first.
Old 19-12-2019, 19:58   #26

Having just gone through this process I would say: the best place is the place you want to start sailing. Starting with the dream of wanting to sail in my native and present home New Zealand I have scoured the world for a cruising cat, put offers on boats In France, the Bahamas, and Australia, and a boat that worked turned up on my back doorstep the other day. It was worth it to look at boats offshore but I am relieved none of them worked out. I am short on time and the prospect of doing the inevitable shake down and minor or major refit needed to get a boat home, while I would likely be in NZ, was in retrospect ambitious. The various versions of getting her home without me (shipping, professional delivery, short hops) all added up to a lot of money when I got the calculator out. There are a fair few great cruising cars for sale in Asia, and if that’s where you want to go sailing I would be looking right on your back doorstep.
MrCoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 22:18   #27

Thank you everybody for sharing some of your personal experiences buying boats in different parts of the world. It's been a great help.

Interesting to see another Texas suggestion. As I said previously I have some family in that area. But with hearing about the how it's a good area to work on a boat, it's more motivation to possibly make a long overdue visit to see family.

Those are some good points to be made about Australia and NZ. I took a quick look at the websites mentioned and there seemed good choices. But also good info about how it might be a more challenging location from which to start my journey. A lot to think about.
Ranshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 00:37   #28

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
I'll add New Zealand to the list as you make a great point about how a lot of those boats have made it across the Pacific. It would be nice to know that they were at least capable of doing that, and I'm sure that would also mean they already have a lot of extras/upgrades that I would want.
I don't know if I'd have thought like this buying our boat a few years back... any boat has been proven to be able to go around the world, from rowboats on up. There are thousands of hunterjennybennys etc going back and forth across the atlantic each year without too many issues. What I'd think about your quote here is: cruising is hard on boats too. so if the folks did some serious miles and are selling up at the end of their trip, it might be ready for major (expensive) upgrades. Same with 10 year old charter boats anywhere, the upgrade cycle be upon ye! Lastly re NZ, I would be investigating the flag laws there. Probably not relevant but just in case, I hear it is quite onerous to get a boat licensed there. More than casual sailors probably need, tho that is arguable on this forum (like everything else).
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 00:44   #29

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My view...

Shortlist the boats you want... maybe get the list down to half a dozen...

Check what is listed on yachtworld.com or similar..

See where they are located.....

F'rinstance ... boats same same or similar ( Oceanlord) to mine only turn up for sale in UK/Continent (inc Med) or Caribbean...very rarely on the east coast of the US.... extremely rare elsewhere

You just want a boat? Shop local.....
Old 20-12-2019, 02:49   #30

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

If you want a Yacht Broker that you can be 100% SURE that he will not flimflam you or lie to you, but look out for you before his very own self, contact Howard Donhauser at DYB Charters & Yacht Sales, Stewart, Florida. <howard-dybyachts@att.net>, Telephone (+1-772-678-6311 OR +1-386-295-5628). I am a United States Navy Senior Chief, Naval Purchasing Officer, Retired, and I can and do give testimony that Howard Donhauser is better than The Best. He will do you right.

Senior Chief
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, used boat