Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2019, 23:42   #1

Best place in USA/World to buy a used boat

I'm an American currently living in eastern Asia. The plan has always been that in a few years from now I will get a new catamaran and sail the world full time. However I know the motto of cruisers is "don't wait, go now." So my current plan is to buy a cheaper used monohull and sail around as much as I can, then in a few years transition back to the original plan of buying a new catamaran.

As such I'm curious where is the "best" physical location to buy a used boat? What I mean is I'm sure that any used boat I buy will need some level of repairs and/or upgrades. So what are some areas that not only have many boats for sale at a good price, but also has access to plenty of shops that sell boat equipment and a lot of experienced people who can repair/install things that I might need assistance with.

I put USA only because I am American, but since I haven't been back in nearly two decades, it doesn't have to be in USA. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, as long as language is not an issue. Looking online, various parts of Europe have many boats for sale but I'm not sure if parts/service are more expensive there. Or if there are other parts of the world where boats/parts/services might be cheaper but the quality is just as good as the rest of the world.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Ranshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 00:21   #2

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: Best place in USA/World to buy a used boat

I would say, on the US East coast, Florida is one of the best places for parts and experienced labor. Boat yard are expensive in Miami/Fort Lauderdale region and cheaper in North Florida and on the West coast.
There is many sailboats available at good prices on the used market in Florida but, generally speaking, North of Hatteras, boats are in better condition with less wear and tear.

Annapolis is my second choice, a bit more expensive but cruisers friendly and lots of experienced marine contractors and parts supplies available.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 00:36   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

In order:

1) as close to home as possible
2) Florida
3) Australia - currency is unfortunately for them, very weak
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 01:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
I would say, on the US East coast, Florida is one of the best places for parts and experienced labor. Boat yard are expensive in Miami/Fort Lauderdale region and cheaper in North Florida and on the West coast.
There is many sailboats available at good prices on the used market in Florida but, generally speaking, North of Hatteras, boats are in better condition with less wear and tear.

Annapolis is my second choice, a bit more expensive but cruisers friendly and lots of experienced marine contractors and parts supplies available.
Wow thank you. I was figuring Florida but it was nice to get a breakdown of which ares are better than others. thank you for that.

I'm curious are the boat yards so expensive in Florida that it might make more sense to sail the boat up the coast a bit and work on repairs/upgrades more north? Or are the parts/labor in Florida so readily available and fair priced that it outweighs the boat yard costs?

And Chotu, thank you for mentioning Australia. I had never even thought about it before, I'll start doing some research.
Old 19-12-2019, 08:17   #5

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranshiro View Post
I'm an American currently living in eastern Asia. The plan has always been that in a few years from now I will get a new catamaran and sail the world full time. However I know the motto of cruisers is "don't wait, go now." So my current plan is to buy a cheaper used monohull and sail around as much as I can, then in a few years transition back to the original plan of buying a new catamaran.

As such I'm curious where is the "best" physical location to buy a used boat? What I mean is I'm sure that any used boat I buy will need some level of repairs and/or upgrades. So what are some areas that not only have many boats for sale at a good price, but also has access to plenty of shops that sell boat equipment and a lot of experienced people who can repair/install things that I might need assistance with.

I put USA only because I am American, but since I haven't been back in nearly two decades, it doesn't have to be in USA. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, as long as language is not an issue. Looking online, various parts of Europe have many boats for sale but I'm not sure if parts/service are more expensive there. Or if there are other parts of the world where boats/parts/services might be cheaper but the quality is just as good as the rest of the world.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I agree with Northbound44, Florida boats get used year round, whereas northern boats get put up for the winter every year. Sun and Salt are hard on fiberglass, and teak. My suggestion would be to look around the Great Lakes... where the boats spend all their time on fresh water and are hauled and winterized every year.

Im a Floridian and Im telling you from experience.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 08:35   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'll add NZ on the list with Australia, and in your neck of the woods. Language not (much of) a problem for Americans, boatyard services and labor readily available and relatively inexpensive (we found these costs significantly less than Australia). Materials available, some reasonable and some dear. Lots of well equipped boats that have crossed the Pacific but with no desire to go further. Some in great shape, some ridden hard and put up wet.

Similar could be said of Thailand (Langkawi/Phuket) although language may be more of an issue.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 08:47   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

There is no absolute "best" place. Consider where you want to be/cruise with the boat and buy there or near there. Consider the cost and effort to inspect and move the boat to where you are or want to be, and the finances might surprise you.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:05   #8

Thank you both for the great replies. I never even thought about how up north boats won't have year round use. And the tip about fresh water boats is great. Thanks!

I'll add New Zealand to the list as you make a great point about how a lot of those boats have made it across the Pacific. It would be nice to know that they were at least capable of doing that, and I'm sure that would also mean they already have a lot of extras/upgrades that I would want.
Old 19-12-2019, 09:17   #9

Boat: Baba 35

I would like to throw Clear Lake, Texas area into the ring. Excellent place for refit. Safe marinas with floating docks. Fresh water lake mixed with the salt water of the bay. A bit of a compromise on fresh water vs salt water. West Marine and Home Depot are close to each other and right next to a lot of the marinas.

Tons of boats for sale.

Probably not the greatest sailing in the world but I can't speak much to that as I'm still in the refit stage.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:22   #10

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Well, I guess I am prejudiced.

I think the PNW - Pacific Northwest - is one of the best places to look at a good selection of used monohulls. The sun is out less, and less intense when out, than more southerly spots; the ocean salinity is a little less than more southerly locations; and we get regular fresh water rinses on our gear!

NASA salinity map:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...easure-of-salt

There are literally thousands of boats to choose from in the area from Portland - Seattle - Vancouver - Vancouver Island. The number of marine trades people, boatyards, and suppliers is very large. The Canadian dollar is @ 75% of the US dollar right now, so discounts on work and supplies can be had.

There are also some boatyards that still let owners work on their own boats!

Just my limited experience, but the area is worth looking at.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:47   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

You can often find some decent deals on end of the road cruisers boats in Malaysia and Thailand.
NZ has boats for sale that have crossed the Pacific and the owners are done.
Australia tends to be overpriced as any cruising boat offered for sale must be imported first.
Pacific Mexico.
US East Coast.
Old 19-12-2019, 10:08   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranshiro View Post
Thank you both for the great replies. I never even thought about how up north boats won't have year round use. And the tip about fresh water boats is great. Thanks!

I'll add New Zealand to the list as you make a great point about how a lot of those boats have made it across the Pacific. It would be nice to know that they were at least capable of doing that, and I'm sure that would also mean they already have a lot of extras/upgrades that I would want.
Sounds to me like you're already in the right place. I'm told that the Philippines have very good buys on boats as it's a popular landing spot for "broken dreams" - people who've made the comparatively easier trip west and don't want to bash back east or continue their journey west. Many of these boats may be a little bigger than what you have in mind but two good people can handle a 40'er plus with ease. And I doubt you'll find anywhere cheaper to have boat work done. In addition, you've got Rolly Tasker in Phuket that features a complete sail loft, rigging department and makes all of the sheet lines you may require. And then there's Langkawi which is a duty free zone (great place to have the big stuff ordered in).

In short, look around your own backyard first before scheduling any long trips to go look at a boat that may be a mess. And while you're looking inquire around about who the best boat inspectors are in each area. Unless you're already an expert you should have a qualified inspector look at any potential purchase.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:30   #13

Boat: Moody 49

For the more adventurous- the Azores. Many a dream boat left for a quick sale as rough passages from Europe and US/Caribbean bring fair weather dreams to an end!
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:42   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

I'll put in a plug here for Trinidad, with a couple caveats:

Pros:
•Historically below the named-storm belt, Mitch notwithstanding
•Chaguaramas' various yards have thousands of boats put up long term, many most likely for sale cheap
•Repair services readily available from multiple contractors; the competition tends to weed out the bad apples and you can get some exquisite craftsmanship for woodworking, fiberglass/painting and steel fabrication
•Labor rates, while not the bargain they were 20 years ago, are still cheaper than Florida
•English spoken...kinda sorta

Cons:
•Unless you can direct repair projects live and in person, things will take a very, very long time. Priority will always be given to on-site vs. off-site owners, plus there is the "Island Time" factor
•There are a couple decent chandelries (Budget, Peake) handy to the boatyards, but their prices aren't great (they always include VAT), and often selection isn't what you're used to at the average US West Marine. Defender will ship down there for reasonable money, but know that Trini Customs can be quite the challenge to your patience and sanity
•Obviously, every vessel down here is a salt water boat with the associated hostility to electronics, steel and moving parts. UV this close to the equator is brutal on brightwork and canvas. The best deals are most likely the biggest fixer-uppers, but that's true everywhere.
•Trinidad is a pretty gritty place, not exactly the white sand caribbean paradise of places further north in the chain.

If I were you I'd create a short list of 3-5 well-made brands in the size and configuration you want, and then shop those brands/models worldwide to find that mythical well-equipped, well-kept "jaguar in grandma's barn"...travel to her, survey her, get her at a great price and then move her to where you are, so that you can be hands-on in her rehab.

Good hunting!
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 19-12-2019, 10:51   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I looked online for 2 years before chartering in Croatia to get to know modern boats.
While there, we drove around asking charter companies what was for sale. Surprisingly, most boats weren't even listed on yachtworld and of those that were, prices were 25%-40% less than world averages. At every seasons end, hundreds of charter boats hit the market and need to be sold before the new one arrives in April. Prices fall dramatically as April approaches, and a wide selection of 5-8 year old boats can be found in a small area.(eastern Med) To top it off, equipment and skilled professionals are available in most large ports. We paid 35 Euros an hr for most pros work, mechanics, riggers, electronics, etc. Here in Hawaii, I pay $120 hr for mechanics. While far from my desired cruising grounds, S Pacific, I was pleasantly surprised by the 2000yr old towns, harbours, spectacular coastlines, and plentiful anchorages. It's an ideal area to begin cruising, as ports are close together, and support is in every city. From there, it's an easy downwind sail to the Caribbean Panama, and SP
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, used boat