Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 01:55   #16

Boat: 29 ft
Re: Best ways to compromise on a boat to save money.

On outdated interior design (so, an older boat) will be cheaper, even if well built and well maintained.

Smaller is cheaper. There are seaworthy smaller (with smaller, I mean around 26 ft) designs around.

A boat that must sell at relatively short notice is cheaper (seller moving, inherited boats, ...)

Boats in autumn / winter are cheaper.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 02:44   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
... The overall impression of a boat is pribably the biggest price-determining factor. If she looks shabby then you can get a lot of money off. The problem is, if she has been neglected aesthetically then she has probably been neglected in other ways too...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:36   #18

Sometimes in autumn, you see adds stating that a boat is still on its mooring and the buyer needs to go through all the hassle of organizing winter storage, transport etc etc. Such boats tend to go cheaper than market as well, but again, the question is what you get for the money. So, if the former owner only recently can not look after the boat any more, there may be something worth the hassle. If it has been neglected a few years, there will be a lot of gremlins to sort out.
Old 15-10-2019, 07:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best ways to compromise on a boat to save money.

Only two ways to compromise without getting into trouble that I know of, size and age. Smaller and older is less expensive, just don’t compromise on build quality etc. Smaller will continue to be less expensive to maintain also.
A poorly equipped boat can be equipped over time with the gear you want, older boats you will likely be replacing this gear anyway so why pay for it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 08:02   #20

Another point: Some places in the world are cheaper. It used to be, that Teneriffa was good value - people who took their boat there from Europe to go accross the Atlantic and then found, that sailing wasn't for them after all, were sometimes eager to sell.

Another point: Material: Steel boats can be good value for money if you are not into high speed. But they can also be worthless rust buckets.
Old 15-10-2019, 08:33   #21

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Lots of good advice here. I will add that nothing makes more sense financially than paying off ALL debt before incurring any boat expenses. Put on the work harness, buckle down and get your income up and get rid of all debt while learning as much as you can by reading and perhaps crewing on other's boats.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 08:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Lots of good advice here. I will add that nothing makes more sense financially than ....

Thought you were going to say nothing makes more financial sense than not buying a boat.
Chris31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 09:03   #23

I think bad cosmetics are a good bang for the buck to save purchase money. Flaking varnish, dirt, mold etc. Sometimes different style interiors don't sell well, like the old fashioned galley along the side layout. That layout is actually great for living aboard.

Things to avoid that are expensive and take a ton of time even if you spend the money:
-Bad blisters on the bottom
-Extensive wet deck core, or hull core on a cored hull.
-Under floor tanks that are rusty, leaky.
-Sails are expensive

Even if you buy a boat you think has little wrong with it, it can be overwhelming once you get using and maintaining it. So buy the best you can find vs the largest you can afford.
A boat that has been on the market a long time can be a deal, especially with winter coming on. Don't be afraid to make low offers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 10:37   #24

Boat: Contest 50CS

The best way to save on boat expenses is to nt buy a boat in the first place!
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 10:41   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Assuming the boat is structurally sound to begin with, I would think that opting for traditional navigation over electronics would probably be the most cost saving thing you could do. My electronics are 20 years old. I just priced a complete upgrade at the Annapolis Boat Show--about $8K plus for a 9" display. Display size is the driving cost so a 7" display is much, much less but still expensive. There is no reason why you can't do traditional navigation, at least for a little while, and it will make you a better sailor too.
dadster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 10:44   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
Assuming the boat is structurally sound to begin with, I would think that opting for traditional navigation over electronics would probably be the most cost saving thing you could do. My electronics are 20 years old. I just priced a complete upgrade at the Annapolis Boat Show--about $8K plus for a 9" display. Display size is the driving cost so a 7" display is much, much less but still expensive. There is no reason why you can't do traditional navigation, at least for a little while, and it will make you a better sailor too.
Generally, old electronics such as depth, wind and boat speed will last a long time and technology is of little value. If you already have an iphone or ipad there is lots of cheap very good navigation software. I wouldn't skimp on safety electronics if going offshore, but there are inexpensive versions of AIS and EPIRBs. Autopilot is probably a must, but old ones work fine, too.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 10:47   #27

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

The most common way to compromise on a boat, to save money, is to buy a couch and watch YouTube videos...
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 10:50   #28

Boat: Soon!

I’m in the same “boat” as you so I can’t give much advice as I’m still saving and searching for my boat, but the books, “Get Real, Get Gone” https://www.amazon.com/Get-Real-Gone...663X/ref=nodl_ and “The Self-Sufficient Sailor”
https://www.amazon.com/Self-Sufficie...s%2C336&sr=1-1
Have been very helpful in my learning process. “The Cost Conscious Cruiser” is next on my list.

Best of luck in your search.
RandoSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 10:51   #29

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Okay, here's what I'd do in your situation, ( I have many years experience and many boats behind me). Cheap Apt., cheap car, but both should be reliable and sound.

Join a sailing club to learn to sail & get to know a lot of different boats and hear EXPERIENCED sailors ideas & opinions of various boats. Try to think of an under 30 ft boat that is know to sail well, lots of them out there, often sell cheaply. My nephew was given a 21 ft trailer sailboat cause the owner knew it had little or no value if sold.
Trailer boats are not a bad way to start, but only if you can store with the mast up, that makes it more likely you'll go sailing every weekend.

Sail often and widely with as little equipment as possible, esp. electronics. I'd say in less than 2 yrs you'd know what it's all about & how you want to go about it.

I've met a couple that sailed a Coronado 25 to Tahiti & Hawaii, a very young man that sailed a Catalina 27 to Costa Rica, and another that sailed to Tahiti, several 30-32 footers sailing across the Pacific to Australia, working along the way to make ends meet, working for other yachties, not the local economy.

I just sailed down the East Coast from NJ to FL in my Hunter, great trip and lots to see & do all along the coast. You could job-hop easily with your skills while living aboard and cruising on weekends & holidays.

Give it a shot & I hope to see you in the Pacific someday,

Capt. Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 11:14   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post

You could also print charts and use a handheld VHF/GPS for about $150.00

The two near 30 year old GPS Units that came with my boat failed last year and in the Spring this year.

As far as costs, I have spent $8K-$10K on my entire boat including purchase over 8 years.

On the other hand, you can spend nearly the same amount on one weekend for good up to date electronics

This just goes to show the wide range in costs for boat owners: $10,000 to maybe $210,000 or much much more.

Here's a list of some very good boats that can be had at a good price and some good advice as well which includes the following:

A final word of advice to the novice sailor - resist the temptation to undertake a major refit and extensive modifications on your new old boat right at the start. It's best to make only the obvious repairs needed and go out and sail locally and on some coastal vacation passages to learn exactly what is and what is not needed for you. Otherwise you may end up spending years and many thousands of dollars more than expected modifying your boat and then find out on your first ocean crossing that the boat is not right for you or those great ideas you had during the refurbishment did not work out that well at sea.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, money