Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2023, 17:25   #1

Boat Purchase Consultants - What was your experience ?

Hi all,

I bought my boat about a year and half ago. I had a flexible budget of anywhere from $100-300k. I thought, given that I was about to spend a good deal of money on something I didn't know a great deal about, I would hire a consultant to help me out in the process. Buying a boat was appealing, but the process and financial disappointment of selling a boat were not, so I felt I should really invest in some expertise to make the most informed decision possible.

I hired a well-known sailboat consultant and had a very poor experience with their services. I have since run into others who have had similar issues with the same provider, but also other boaters who used different consultants in the motor yacht world and had similarly negative experiences. I am left feeling that these consultants, often charging up front with no skin in the game, are unlikely to be of the assistance one hopes for in their boat buying journey and wanted to broach a conversation about this.

I found that a number of brokers I spoke to had much more sensible and often free advice, whether they were selling me a boat or not. I usually bristle at anything that comes off as remotely "salesy", but rarely experienced that in my conversations with brokers. I did pay one broker an hourly consulting rate because I valued his advice so much, was not using him to purchase the boat, and he was graciously helping me free of charge on a number of topics. At any rate, it really changed the way I will approach buying future boats. I have since steered other friends and acquaintances to the broker who assisted me and he received some nice listings out of it. I am glad to have a solid broker I can recommend to others and to be able to help that broker out in the capacity that I can.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from anyone else who hired a consultant, what your experience was, positive or negative, and if you have wisdom or recommendations to share with the community. Please feel free to share your journey.
imus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 17:42   #2

Re: Boat Purchase Consultants - What was your experience ?

Interesting. Can you describe a bit more about what your expectations were, what pitfalls you were trying to avoid, and where the consultant fell short? What questions would you ask if you were to do it over? Perhaps the consultants were trying to over-complicate the purchase decision? Maybe it was fairly simple and an experienced broker really was adequate? There are a number of ways this can go south, not all of which are 'consultant' related - many are buyer/expectation related.

I appreciate that you don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but your experience is valuable. A bit more detail on what you expected vs what you received would be very helpful.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 18:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I think it depends on what role you expected the consultant to play, and what you added to the equation.

If the buyer does not have extensive experience, hiring a consultant is throwing money away. Sort of like asking someone to pick out a fine suit for me. I can describe what I THINK I want. But he is guessing at what I really want.

I have acted as a buyer's rep and consultant on purchases. We will discuss benefits/shortfalls of various vessels. Then- once the buyer decides what vessel they want, we will go over the boat and I attend survey and sea trial. But I would never, ever pick the design of the boat! My feeling of 'roomy' or 'stable' may differ from the buyer's.

To the OP- can you share what your experience level is and what your specifications were? Could you please describe how the consultant came up short? That will help us all understand what went wrong.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 18:52   #4

This post was meant to hear from others about their experiences with consultants, not fully dissect mine. I can share details with you privately, but that is not my goal in this thread.
Old 22-07-2023, 19:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imus View Post
This post was meant to hear from others about their experiences with consultants, not fully dissect mine. I can share details with you privately, but that is not my goal in this thread.
Do I understand correctly that you want details from others but will not provide those details yourself ?
Old 22-07-2023, 20:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Do I understand correctly that you want details from others but will not provide those details yourself ?
You do not understand correctly as far as I can tell. I am looking for general experience here, not specific details, and to hear from people who have hired consultants. Do you fit into that category and need further details from me before sharing your story?
Old 22-07-2023, 20:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

No I do not fall into that category but have acted as a consultant and have three such commissions at the moment. My apologies for intruding.
Old 23-07-2023, 00:39   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Imus it is your Secret Squirrel attitude that probably led to your disappointment with the sailboat consultant.
Regarding the "Financial disappointment" of selling a boat, just think you're going to lose money and if you do make money that's a bonus. Boats are not an investment.
I have guided plenty of people towards the right boat but when they don't know their head from their bum, or they are only telling you half the story it is really hard to get a good result. I have often started looking at yachts then in the end the buyer ends up with a fly bridge cruiser. Or they have cat tastes and end up buying a home-built Roberts. Often the journey to someone owning a boat is fun to hear about but not to be involved with.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 01:17   #9

Quote:
Silly me. I thought this thread was to discuss and inform. Sounds like you're looking for a pity party.

BTW - the responses you've dismissed are from two marine surveyors, a currently active full-time delivery skipper, and a past full-time delivery skipper (myself). Their business brings them buyers near the moment of purchase decision. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but dang close.
Old 23-07-2023, 02:09   #10

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

I'd like to know what $100,000 to 300,000 boat was purchased, what helped you decide on it, your expectations, your experience and knowhow of boats and mostly why you didn't use just a good boat broker?
I would use a consultant if i was buying a brand new custom built mega Yacht though.
Lol, like I'll ever get there.
But seriously, a consultant you used, who does that?
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 06:20   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

These consultants are generally used in purchasing mega-yachts and can serve useful functions somewhat like a fashion designer and shopping assistant. I’m not sure why anyone would need or want to go that route for a $250k boat but it’s your money….
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 06:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
These consultants are generally used in purchasing mega-yachts and can serve useful functions somewhat like a fashion designer and shopping assistant. I’m not sure why anyone would need or want to go that route for a $250k boat but it’s your money….
The three I'm working with right now are buying between $80k and $250.
None of them had ever been on a boat before til' we took them out on ours.
I think it wise of them to consult. I'm pretty sure two of the couples have been scared off. The third couple were smart enough to know what they don't know and we think they'll be fine.

The 45' Beneteau First (photo) on the other side of the dock from us was just purchased by a nice young fella of 26 who asked me yesterday if I knew how to start it (I didn't tell him) LOL.

He wants to run day charters with it. He didn't know he'd need commercial insurance or a limited masters ticket. At the moment he has port risk insurance only, not sure he knows what that is. He could have used a consultant .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5707[1].JPG
Views:	114
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	278512  
Old 23-07-2023, 07:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
John Kretchmer offers boat selection consultation as a follow-on to his seminars.

https://johnkretschmersailing.com/workshop-boat-buyers/

John Neal of Mahina Tiare does as well

https://mahina.com/consult/

Both are geared to ocean sailing so if you don't buy into their style, value would diminish.

For the 7-8 figure yacht/super/mega, Steve D'antonio offers equipment and installation consultation. He can often be found in Far East yards on a client engagement

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/
Old 23-07-2023, 09:26   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I doubt the group wants to dissect yours, they just want to know who you used. It just seems reasonable that if you want input from the the group you would provide this.
Old 23-07-2023, 09:28   #15

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Had a similar experience many years ago. In my case ended relationship almost immediately before boat purchase.

Sure to ruffle feathers here, but over the years have found even if you think you lack the experience or knowledge. with some effort can self educate to become better equipped on specific boat details than the people in the industry. Granted you need to exploit forums like this, but also actually seek out people who own the boat you have an interest in and find out what they have to say. Won’t take long to understand the short comings of teak decks or masts over 65’ on ICW, or chain plate problems on some popular boats. Found true for consultants, brokers, and surveyors.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, enc, purchase