Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 11:15   #1

Boat: Alberg 37
Brokers Not Responding?

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully this is the right place.

I'm in the market for a used sailboat in the US Northeast area. I'm a first-time cash buyer who wants to close within the next two weeks. For the life of me, I cannot get brokers to show me boats via phone or even respond to emails. I'm not shotgunning my approach, and the boats are listed on YachtWorld, which I take to be the best source for used boats.

A friend of mine (who has purchased many boats) told me frankly he thinks it is because I am a woman and brokers aren't taking me seriously. I don't want to believe this is true but I could not be more exasperated at this point. Any pointers or tips?

FWIW, if you're selling an under 40 foot cruiser sailboat in the Long Island, NY/CT /MA area, let's talk. I may be looking at your boat and your broker's refusing to show her.
kaa2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 11:29   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Brokers Not Responding?

it be worth it for you to pay for a buyer's broker to help you with the process. they can really cut through the red tape.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa2021 View Post
I'm a first-time cash buyer who wants to close within the next two weeks. For the life of me, I cannot get brokers to show me boats via phone or even respond to emails.
1) Don't mention that you're a first time buyer

2) Don't mention that you're a cash buyer

3) Don't mention that you want to close in the next two weeks

4) I would avoid using E-mail as the initial point of contact. (Call, leave a VM with name, number and boat of interest, asking them to call back with a date and time that the boat can be viewed. Then follow-up via E-mail with the same info. indicating that you called and left a VM.

5) All you should be attempting to do is book the viewing. Avoid too many questions in the initial call. All questions can be answered during the viewing.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:01   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
it be worth it for you to pay for a buyer's broker to help you with the process. they can really cut through the red tape.
I’m in a similar situation as the OP of the thread. I agree a broker will get through the red tape and get a lot more attention of other brokers. (I started a thread about new boat dealerships last month not wanting to deal with me)

But to the author of the above quote. How much is a reasonable fee for a “buyers broker”?
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:05   #5

I am putting my 2004 Hunter 386 up for sale....$89,900...in excellent condition...brand new head...I am in Hilton Head Island, SC
John Naughten...843 785 9632
johnfnaughten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:41   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa2021 View Post
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully this is the right place.

I'm in the market for a used sailboat in the US Northeast area. I'm a first-time cash buyer who wants to close within the next two weeks. For the life of me, I cannot get brokers to show me boats via phone or even respond to emails. I'm not shotgunning my approach, and the boats are listed on YachtWorld, which I take to be the best source for used boats.

A friend of mine (who has purchased many boats) told me frankly he thinks it is because I am a woman and brokers aren't taking me seriously. I don't want to believe this is true but I could not be more exasperated at this point. Any pointers or tips?

FWIW, if you're selling an under 40 foot cruiser sailboat in the Long Island, NY/CT /MA area, let's talk. I may be looking at your boat and your broker's refusing to show her.
I'm not surprised. When I was last looking ( 2015) in a busy market. I was in a similar position. Cash buyer too. Took me weeks to find a broker that would return calls and emails ( well other than Pop-yachts...avoid them) In the end I went with a private purchase and avoided the brokers.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 12:59   #7

Get a buyer’s broker. Look for a female broker, she will give good advice on the boat and will set up the boat visit. My broker has sold boats from the Caribbean to Maine to Europe.

She knows boats and how to sell them.

Contact me for her information.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:07   #8

Boat: Marlow hunter 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
I’m in a similar situation as the OP of the thread. I agree a broker will get through the red tape and get a lot more attention of other brokers. (I started a thread about new boat dealerships last month not wanting to deal with me)

But to the author of the above quote. How much is a reasonable fee for a “buyers broker”?

Typically Buyer's Brokers are free to the buyer - the seller's broker splits the fee from the seller with them.

I used one to buy my current boat in 2018 in the Annapolis area and he was fantastic. Really knew his stuff (lifelong cruising sailor) and he'd set foot on every boat I was interested in looking at already. He was able to quote chapter and verse about why one was not worth looking at; did I see such and such a boat that wasn't on YachtWorld; if I liked boat brand/type A, then I might consider looking at boat brand/type B. He knew when ads were wrong on boats (NO, it doesn't have A/C, despite what the ad says; I found that out the hard way and wasted my time, but you won't have to waste yours). He also did all the negotiating for me, rather than me having to get involved with the other broker or owner, and helped me get a nice discount from the seller's asking price - and got a great surveyor he's worked with for a long time who did a great and unvarnished job for me.

One thing - I'm wondering why you "need" to close within two weeks? That's a VERY compressed timeframe to shop for a boat, pick out the one you think you want, negotiate a price, schedule a survey (those folks are often backed up), do a sea trial (the marina's schedule comes into play), and close. If its an inexpensive boat for a few thousand dollars (like the 1974 Catalina 27 I sold when I bought my current boat) then that's probably fine. If its tens of thousands, in order to get it insured you'll need to work through the process of a surveyor, sea trial, and solid closing process.

Good luck.
tfox2069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 19:45   #9

Boat: Tartan 28

When we bought our boat a couple years ago, I was shocked at how many brokers were lousy at their jobs. I’m not sure what it is about it, but it didn’t seem to me that most brokers were interested in selling boats. Some of that I think is that we were searching for smaller cheaper boats, and they dont make a lot on those. I suspect if you want to look at a boat thats 200K, you’ll get a prompt reply.

I was persistent and hounded the brokers until I got information. Fortunately the boat we found and ended up buying was with a broker who was easy to work with and sold lots of small older boats.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 19:52   #10

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I agree with zemurray. You didn't mention your budget, but if indeed you are looking at less expensive boats, that may be the reason. There are fairly strong indications that the boat market is pretty hot right now, and if that is actually the case, and high end boats are moving, then brokers may just be unwilling to spend time on less expensive boat sales if they have plenty of activity with higher priced boats.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 19:59   #11

Its the same story trying to buy a house. The agent will call you right away if spending $150k or above. But try calling the listing agent for an abandoned repossessed house that has an asking price of $30k ???

We couldnt get anyone to return our calls and so we had to contact an agent who we had identified as a buyers agent and we knew in person, and he made it happen. He got a hold of the recalcitrant listing agent, obtained the keys and showed us the house the next day. We were closing within a week.

The reality is the listing agent may make a 6% commission. If I bring my own agent he is going to have to split the commission. My agent may only make 3% on the deal, on $30k, its not a lot of money. So for it to work out one has to be efficient with everyone's time and sometimes pay your buyers agent a bonus if you think he did a stellar job. The listing agent did nothing but list the property on a website. My buyers agent did all the running around and he showed us multiple properties in a couple of days. His payback is that he gets to sell my more expensive house that he will earn a full commission on. Unfortunately with your boat purchase that option doesn't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
When we bought our boat a couple years ago, I was shocked at how many brokers were lousy at their jobs. I’m not sure what it is about it, but it didn’t seem to me that most brokers were interested in selling boats. Some of that I think is that we were searching for smaller cheaper boats, and they dont make a lot on those. I suspect if you want to look at a boat thats 200K, you’ll get a prompt reply.

I was persistent and hounded the brokers until I got information. Fortunately the boat we found and ended up buying was with a broker who was easy to work with and sold lots of small older boats.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 17:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
1) Don't mention that you're a first time buyer

2) Don't mention that you're a cash buyer

3) Don't mention that you want to close in the next two weeks

4) I would avoid using E-mail as the initial point of contact. (Call, leave a VM with name, number and boat of interest, asking them to call back with a date and time that the boat can be viewed. Then follow-up via E-mail with the same info. indicating that you called and left a VM.

5) All you should be attempting to do is book the viewing. Avoid too many questions in the initial call. All questions can be answered during the viewing.
This is solid advice. I particularly think numbers 4 and 5 are useful. We have gone through this process several times contacting and working with several brokers. 1/2 were responsive and professional and 1/2 were terrible and 2 were flat out unethical. Keep you radar up but do try to enjoy the process.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 18:11   #13

Unresponsive sales people are a common problem in many fields. Boats are definitely one, especially under $200k range as new agents start at the bottom of the ladder and may not be a professional sales person, just a passionate boater with a side job

Be a pest. Call, text, email, whatever. Second, call the general number for agency and ask for the head person. Send an email to that person with non-responsive agent CC'd with a cordial "I'm very interested in the XXX boat you have listed. I've tried calling/emailing/texting (whatever)several times without a response. Would like to confirm I have the right contact information. I don't want to be a pest, but just want to understand the best way to proceed."

If that doesn't work, time to move on. But you will have to be persistent. This is definitely a time where squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't give up just because broker sucks - they are just an impediment to getting the right boat, not a lifelong partner so endure their lousy service if that's what it takes to get the boat you want. They will eventually get tired of you filling their voicemail.

Good luck.

Peter.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 18:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...urgh....wanted to post some gem of wisdom here, but most aspect of a boat broker has already been covered...
my advice...for what it is worth....brokers don't want to waste their time with "tire kickers" and from the little you have said here, that would apply to you, there is no way in hell you will close on a boat in two weeks...especially not a brokerage boat.

Hell, you will waste two weeks on these forums.....

A first time buyer brands you as a newbie....you gotta learn the talk, before you do the walk...

do you you own due diligence first..research, review, study, read, join forums, etc...pound the pavement, visit marina's..etc....

then approach a broker once you have identified what it is you want....otherwise you'll be wasting a brokers time...simple as that....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 18:59   #15

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Unresponsive sales people are a common problem in many fields. Boats are definitely one, especially under $200k range as new agents start at the bottom of the ladder and may not be a professional sales person, just a passionate boater with a side job

Be a pest. Call, text, email, whatever. Second, call the general number for agency and ask for the head person. Send an email to that person with non-responsive agent CC'd with a cordial "I'm very interested in the XXX boat you have listed. I've tried calling/emailing/texting (whatever)several times without a response. Would like to confirm I have the right contact information. I don't want to be a pest, but just want to understand the best way to proceed."

If that doesn't work, time to move on. But you will have to be persistent. This is definitely a time where squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't give up just because broker sucks - they are just an impediment to getting the right boat, not a lifelong partner so endure their lousy service if that's what it takes to get the boat you want. They will eventually get tired of you filling their voicemail.

Good luck.

Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
...urgh....wanted to post some gem of wisdom here, but most aspect of a boat broker has already been covered...
my advice...for what it is worth....brokers don't want to waste their time with "tire kickers" and from the little you have said here, that would apply to you, there is no way in hell you will close on a boat in two weeks...especially not a brokerage boat.

Hell, you will waste two weeks on these forums.....

A first time buyer brands you as a newbie....you gotta learn the talk, before you do the walk...

do you you own due diligence first..research, review, study, read, join forums, etc...pound the pavement, visit marina's..etc....

then approach a broker once you have identified what it is you want....otherwise you'll be wasting a brokers time...simple as that....
Well with these two advices you'll definetely spend twenty two weeks here and won't achieve your objective.

Mostly good broker advices above, but why not just cut the crap and go to https://www.sailboatlistings.com/? Many are sold by the boat owners.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote