Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 15:41   #61

Boat: TBD
Well all we can say is this 1980 41' Downeaster is a no go for us. The broker said "No Issues at all"..... The reality was all kinds of issues including some from a COLLISION! Grr... Wish the broker had given me honest answers to my questions and saved a very long trip to see it, but I guess that is asking a lot of a salesman in this economy.

Luckily for us we've found a fantastic boat and we're going to make an offer unless a true dealbreaker comes our way... 1991 39' Beneteau

We'd love to hear any of your thoughts on this one. Please chime in if you have an opinion...
SweetSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 16:15   #62

Boat: Columbia 41
I own a Columbia 41, 1974. It's a stoutly built boat and a fair sailor. It will tack in its own length. I paid $25k for it. In the past two years I have upgraded quite a lot with new electronics, pressure water pump, electric bilge pump and a lot of work on the galley. Columbias have a lot of interior room that makes them quite livable. I should also add, my boat came with a 100 gallon diesel tank and 100 gallon water tank">fresh water tank.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 16:38   #63

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Signature Yachts, Inc (Seattle, WA)

Here is an interesting boat in your neigborhood, in your original price range.
This boat looks well care for.

I was looking for older sabres when I came across this.

Tempest...
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 20:20   #64

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
I am one of the newer members of the Beneteau family. Only a 28.5', but a member no less. You will continue to hear all kinds of advice (especially since you asked for it) like, similar to Hunters, they are floating apartments and not real sailboats etc. etc. (Read my thread on the General Sialing Forum "Not like it used to be") A lot of the advice you receive may be from people that heard from other people that certain boats are good or bad. But actually have no personal experience with what you are asking. The bottom line for me is. If the boat you are looking at is sound (which there is plenty of good advice here to help you determine) and it inspires you through it's good looks or performance or toughness to chase your dreams. Then it is the right boat for you.
Good luck with any decision you make!
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 15:59   #65

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSurrender View Post
Well all we can say is this 1980 41' Downeaster is a no go for us. The broker said "No Issues at all"..... The reality was all kinds of issues including some from a COLLISION! Grr... Wish the broker had given me honest answers to my questions and saved a very long trip to see it, but I guess that is asking a lot of a salesman in this economy.

Luckily for us we've found a fantastic boat and we're going to make an offer unless a true dealbreaker comes our way... 1991 39' Beneteau

We'd love to hear any of your thoughts on this one. Please chime in if you have an opinion...
which downeaster 41 were you looking at? the one in washington state for 55,000? or the one in SFfor 54,000. I've looked at both online and even called the broker. I'm on the east coast and if someone has actually seen one of them, then I would love to get a third party description of it. It's a long trip to fly all the way accross the country to look at a boat.
if you don't feel comfortable giving your impressions on the forum feel free to email me at audeojude at yahoo.com..
I really appreciate it.
Scott Carle

I have a friend that has a downeaster 38 setup as a cutter and it is a great sailing boat. It phrfs around 195 or so in our club and I can attest that it sail well to that rating in races. It tracks very well and has a nice motioin. In 20 knots of wind it will do a steady 8 to 9 knots with all sails up. We usually reef between 20 and 25 knots of wind. It does decent in light air also.. much better than I had thought it would. with full main and a 150 jib it will usually do half of apparent wind in 4 to 10 knots of wind. The stay sail is the turbo on the boat. Running with just the jib or just the staysail leaves her under powered but with both the jib and staysail set she picks up her heels and comes alive. Oh and a clean bottom helps

I'm not a big fan of the standard layout but looking at the pilot house models I really like their layout.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 19:36   #66

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
I really can't recommend this book enough when it comes to pointers for buying a cruising boat - Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear: A Guide to Essential Features Handling and Gear: Amazon.co.uk: John Vigor: Books
I would of made so many mistakes without it...

Tags
buying, columbia, hunter, union