Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2023, 06:21   #61

Re: Buying a boat in Florida

Ive been thru this process, different circumstances. Few years ago. Reside in CA, purchased a boat in FL, no intention of returning to CA in the vessel. Definitely hire a professional documentation & closing service. The coast guard will notify whichever state when u document. File necessary paperwork in timely manner with state. Keep records, receipts. Youll also need to send proof to FL that you left. Also unless transiting past keep the vessel out of FL for 6 months. Every state will be different. I can only speak for CA. They wanted use tax , property tax. Theres no cheating or loophole here, why would I pay use tax in CA when the boats not there. The required paperwork and proof has to be there. CA wanted proof where my boat was, every month for the coinciding tax year, any gaps they assume the boat was brought back, even with later dated receipts showing the boat nowhere in vicinity of CA. (Lol, ya i sailed from FL to CA and back to Fl in 2 months. J/k, but thats their mindset).

This isnt advice, rather sharing a experience
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 06:48   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don’t find anything murky or speculative about the rules, pretty much straight forward?

https://www.floridasalestax.com/docu...Purchasers.pdf
The op states they receive their mail in Fl and have Fl drivers licenses and Fl registered voters? Pretty much makes them Fl residents?
[Specific Exemptions Boats Sold to Nonresidents
You may purchase a boat tax-exempt if the sale is through a registered boat dealer or yacht broker to a nonresident who will remove the boat from Florida.]
Pretty much cuts them out of being tax free if purchasing a boat in Fl?
Thanks for the link - I didn't catch that upthread. And while I see your point, I guess it boils down to what is a resident or non-resident? Are the snowbirds who own a condo in Florida residents? That said, having a Florida drivers license and a voter registration are pretty compelling evidence of residency (especially the voter registration). But I'd add there are other taxes in addition to sales tax that may be avoided.

I still think the OP had a legitimate question and it was a bit unfair to jump to 'tax evasion.' There is nothing wrong with probing the boundaries of tax obligations.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 06:53   #63

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Not to pile on, but accusing OP of desiring tax evasion is presumptuous.

Tax avoidance is well within the law.

My personal experience, seen upthread, included many conversations with the FL DOR, both enforcement and taxpayer advocate (yes, FL has such a position in DOR).

A competent advisor, if it's worth the expense to avoid the level of taxation involved, is a good investment. Or you could just ring up the DOR, ask to be connected, and without disclosing your potential purchase specifics, ask what-if questions.

My TPA and I got close enough that his wife emailed me to let me know he'd died, based on seeing our emails...

Fear not, biblically. They actually will help you avoid any taxes that you may.

My only regret is that I never got to take Jimmy out sailing...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 06:55   #64

Apologies for my post (2 beofre this). I tried to edit so it didnt come across as advice but time limit ran out.
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 15:09   #65
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDelG View Post
Hello all,
I'm about to buy a new catamaran from a broker in Florida. I want to avoid Florida sales tax by moving it out of the state within 90 days. My wife and I live aboard our current boat and move up and down the east coast each year, generally spending winters in the Bahamas or Caribbean. We use the SBI mail forwarding service and have Florida voter registration and drivers licenses but do not have a residence in Florida. Should I try to do the paperwork myself or would it be best to hire an expert to do it for me?
I am a Washington (WA) resident and made a tax-exempt boat purchase in Florida; I did not pay FL sales tax at the time of purchase. To do so I completed an Affidavit for Exemption of Boat Sold for Removal from the State of Florida by a Nonresident Purchaser at the time of sale which was notarized. I then sailed the boat to Texas and then shipped it by truck to Washington...this took some time. When registering the boat in WA I paid Washington sales tax.

Two or three months after purchase I got a letter from the State of Florida Department of Revenue asking for confirmation that I had taken the boat out of the state through the use of receipts for boat services outside of Florida. After my response I received another letter from the State of Florida acknowledging my letter and closing my file. It included the following statement in BOLD type:

"You cannot bring your boat back into FL for six months from the date of departure without it becoming subject to Florida's use tax. The six months must include the boat being in U.S. or territorial waters. If you cannot document the fact it was in U.S. waters for six months or longer and you bring it back, you will be liable for the use tax."

FWIW: I seriously researched registering this boat in Oregon (which has no sales tax) but eventually decided against the lengthy drive every time I wanted to use it. Also, Washington State and Oregon have got some mutual rules as to what qualifies. Beside, I wanted to wake up every morning and see it out my dining room window so I paid the WA tax.

All said, this was a number of years ago. I suggest you check on the current rules by contacting the FL Department of Revenue.

Note: My boat has always been documented with the Coast Guard. This has nothing to do with state registration, sales tax, or use tax. There is a small annual CG fee.

Good Luck.
Old 28-03-2023, 17:51   #66
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i purchased a boat in SC and immediately brought the boat to GA and then FL where i registered it. but i paid the use tax in SC which was reasonable. after proving to the tax folks in FL that i paid taxes in SC .. they did not require FL sales tax.

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat, florida