Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2020, 17:01   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Buying a boat on the other side of the world

Dsanduril if you did that trip in your Outremer 50 then that’s a miles different proposition to an old mono. (It hurt me to write that!)
I think Ann has the right idea about buying a boat in Australia and exploring our east coast. Plenty of remote and interesting places to visit without the long offshore passages. Then at the end of trip it is way easier to sell the boat.
Ann’s also right about the kids maybe not enjoying it that much either. I got put of boating so many times on my old mans trawler but just had to suck it up. I am not sure how l would have gone if I had to be onboard for a year.
Whatever you do, definitely buy a yacht and have a family adventure. Even if you only ever day sail from the marina it will be an experience the kids will not forget.
Just check out what this Danish family did on a 28 footer.
Cheers
https://schourup.net/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 17:09   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Ex charter boats in the Med are the cheapest option and biggest inventory by far. But it's a long sail to SP. Plenty of cruisers and charter companies, sell their boats in Tahiti, Fiji, NZ, etc, definitely worth looking at and is a great area to start cruising. The cruising grounds require more precise navigation skills as anchorages and channels often aren't marked, but passages are short and predictable. The good news is that what you pay for it, you'll likely back minus repairs etc. Sounds like a good plan to me, as I did a similar one for 2 years.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:53   #33

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50

Just a few things to consider
Boats are more expensive in NZ. If you buy one in NZ and then sell it in AUST you will have to pay 10% tax.
The boat you buy in NZ will need to be Category 1 standard before you can leave NZ (unless registered outside of NZ). You & your wife will need to also met Cat 1 standards. So you will need the right sailing experience & training.
Its much easier to buy a boat outside of NZ.
If you buy a boat in Caribbean (as someone mentioned) you can also end up with quite long delays in going through the Panama canal (depends on when you go) plus minimum of $1600 USD in fees to go through the canal.
Buying a boat on west coast of USA or in French Polynesia/fiji would be my recommendation.
If you don't have a lot of sailing experience you may also find it hard to get insurance for your boat.
You have to plan your trip around cyclone period so only a limited oppurtunity for sailing north from NZ.
As far as yachts go I have a 50ft Beneteau and have crossed Atlantic & Pacific.
Many hundreds of others have done the same with French & German production yachts.
One last thing - navigation is tricky as many islands/Atolls are not well surveyed (some surveyed back in 1800's), there are strong tides and lots of reefs.
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 19:12   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The boat you buy in NZ will need to be Category 1 standard before you can leave NZ (unless registered outside of NZ).
Not sure specifically about NZ, but in most countries non-citizens can not own vessels registered in that country. Thus, before departure the vessel will need to be de-registered in NZ and then registered in one's own country, and then the Cat 1 requirements go away.

I am quite sure that the registration issues are this way here in Oz because I've been through them!

Jim
Old 14-06-2020, 19:26   #35

Boat: Riviera 40

I think Mr B got it reversed, One US dollar buys more in AU $. Todays rate is 68Cents to the US dollar. NZ has great cruising grounds, lots of outer Islands and Harbours for safe anchoring, boats are more expensive in NZ.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 19:41   #36

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
I think Mr B got it reversed, One US dollar buys more in AU $. Todays rate is 68Cents to the US dollar. NZ has great cruising grounds, lots of outer Islands and Harbours for safe anchoring, boats are more expensive in NZ.
68 cents AUD is $1-46 cents, USD, Todays rates,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 19:53   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a boat on the other side of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
68 cents AUD is $1-46 cents, USD, Todays rates,
I just checked X-RATES and according to them $1US = $1.46AUD..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 20:28   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I just checked X-RATES and according to them $1US = $1.46AUD..
I left out the dollar,

68 cents AUD is one dollar USD,
Old 14-06-2020, 22:02   #39

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Here's my 2 cents ... Buy where you wanna be for three months.

There's good bargain boats to be bought anywhere, at some time or other. You just have to know where to look, to work out what broker or representative you can trust, to specify you needs accurately, and to have studied international price comparisons so you know whether you are getting a the deal you want, or not.

The exchange rates, NZD, AUD to Swiss Franc, EU, or USD are favorable. If folk can't work that out, or get it the wrong way round, maybe they're no cut out for boat ownership, and shouldn't try navigating.

Most locations have some crowded anchorages at some times, and uncrowded as well. The way to pick what you want is study, and check with trusted locals (many times over).

As far as finding trustworthy advice, if someone tends to argue and fight and find it difficult to find trustworthy people in their own country, then they'll tend to find the same think in any country. And the converse tends to be true (with exceptions).

Most taxes and duties can be avoided with correct structuring and timing, so, with study, a buyer can leave them out of the equation.

The location where you buy your first boat (your wife's first boat) should be primarily determined by where you want to be - lifestyle, for the sabatical. NZ has big, relatively empty relatively safe cruising grounds, but it's seasonal. People can spend 3 - 6 months in the relatively unheard of Marlborough Sounds, Hauraki gulf more. Aust, bigger by far by far. Tonga. New Caledonia, Fiji ... All have benefits and disadvantages for your plan. But all are workable.

The Ocean crossing is not to bad if you've got three months actual doing stuff experience ... as opposed to 3 months sitting in the marina experience, and if you invest in a sound boat, the right weather prediction system, and know how to use it. This assumes personal capability and confidence.

Covid might be an insurmountable problem for a time ... how long will NZ and Aust and the Islands remain closed? We have no idea. I am sure that will cause some urgent sales offers at very good prices ... same worldwide though.

Of course you can buy a boat here in NZ during the Covid period, if you have someone well respected that you can trust ... see paragraph 1 and 2 ...

Let me know if you need a hand.

And Good luck
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 03:36   #40

Get hold of Tony Webster of Webster Marine tony@webstermarine.com.au
+61 427 566 700
Very good very experienced broker, straight down the line no messing around. Multigenerational brokerage - been around for many years. Will give you solid advice!
Good luck chasing your dreams!!
TomTomSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 05:15   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I left out the dollar,

68 cents AUD is one dollar USD,
No, other way round; 1 AU$ buys about 68 US cents
1US$ buys around AUS1.46

There was a time a few years ago when the Aussie $ was at parity or greater than the US$ (and maybe one day it might be again) but that was a rare time, and Aussies in the position to, took advantage of it, but for most of us just another "coulda, shoulda, woulda"
NevilleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 05:24   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
No, other way round; 1 AU$ buys about 68 US cents
1US$ buys around AUS1.46

There was a time a few years ago when the Aussie $ was at parity or greater than the US$ (and maybe one day it might be again) but that was a rare time, and Aussies in the position to, took advantage of it, but for most of us just another "coulda, shoulda, woulda"
Thats what I said the first time,

When I bought my boat, It was $1-07 AUD to the USA dollar,
I saved 10 grand on my boat, It was in US Dollars,
I saved on the GST payable also,
Old 15-06-2020, 05:26   #43

Also to the OP (given the time frame and experience) I agree you could do worse than pick an area with interesting sailing without the passages and base yourself there for a bit...hang out in the sun and introduce the family to an un-hurried time of perhaps sailing coastal or to other interesting islands etc without the pressure to have 'achieved' anything more than explore a new part of the world.
Maybe get Rick Page and Jasna Tuta's book Get Real, Get Gone
NevilleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 13:46   #44

Thanks again for all your inputs. I more and more think that too long passages may be too stressful for the family. I have good confidence in my sailing capabilities, but there’s the big unknown of how the family will adapt to life aboard.

What we are really looking for
1st prio
  • Live aboard and sail
  • Tropical climate
  • Not too much pressure (e.g., to reach certain places within specific timeframes)
  • Explore some lonely places with nice coral reefs

2nd prio
  • Exotic culture
  • Good fishing grounds (-> certainly not the Med)

Ideally, we start in a place where we can spend a few months to get used to the boat and new life. If we all feel comfortable, have confidence in the boat and feel capable of doing a longer passage, then it would be very nice to have the opportunity to head towards some more remote islands, far from western civilization. I recognize that sailing east from Australia does not make sense.
Zeiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 15:25   #45

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeiling View Post
Thanks again for all your inputs. I more and more think that too long passages may be too stressful for the family. I have good confidence in my sailing capabilities, but there’s the big unknown of how the family will adapt to life aboard.

What we are really looking for
1st prio
  • Live aboard and sail
  • Tropical climate
  • Not too much pressure (e.g., to reach certain places within specific timeframes)
  • Explore some lonely places with nice coral reefs

2nd prio
  • Exotic culture
  • Good fishing grounds (-> certainly not the Med)

Ideally, we start in a place where we can spend a few months to get used to the boat and new life. If we all feel comfortable, have confidence in the boat and feel capable of doing a longer passage, then it would be very nice to have the opportunity to head towards some more remote islands, far from western civilization. I recognize that sailing east from Australia does not make sense.
Based on that I think the Caribbean is your best bet. Lots of boats to choose from. Most destinations are less than a one day sail. Plenty of good anchorages and marine services available. Good shopping in many places.

Downside is more crowded. Not much live coral anymore. You need to be out of the hurricane belt during the season (which is also true of the South Pacific).
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying