Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 16:40   #1

Buying a French Flagged Boat, VAT Not Paid

I am negotiating a private sale for a boat located in Sint Maarten. As mentioned in the title, the boat is French flagged, VAT not paid. Owner is EU citizen.

I am planning on re-registering as a US flagged boat. Based on my research, this is not too difficult. French flagged boats will have a "passport" of sorts listing the current and previous owners and any liens. One just has to go through the paperwork of "deflagging" the boat and then the USCG forms and nominal import cost of 1.5%

I will likely use a company in FL to help with this, but before I go down this road too far, does a VAT not paid boat make any difference at all in term of french registration/de-registration/re-registration as US flagged boat?

Thanks.
DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 18:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Buying a French Flagged Boat, VAT Not Paid

VAT and registration are two different things. VAT is point of sale tax on a new boat or not in the case of this boat as it was probably exported when new. There a few exceptions but they don't matter here.

The French registration, not sure about, but if you buy it what liability does a US citizen have to the French Gov? just register it quickly in the US and change the flag.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:36   #3

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Buying a French Flagged Boat, VAT Not Paid

DesertBoater, If you are intending to document the vessel with the USCG, be sure to insist on using a USCG Bill of Sale Form, available on line under USCG / Forms. When I purchased my vessel, it had been USCG documented in the past, but had passed through several owners since then. The USCG has a waiver system to complete the chain of ownership when it cannot be established via USCG approved bills of sale. Try to get as much information as you can on the chain of ownership, though when reflagging a vessel it may not be necessary. The website is as follows:
USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page . Hope that this helps! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, enc