Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 13:59   #46

Re: Buying in the MED vs USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Moody
Solaris-SERIGI
NAJAD
Oysters
Swans - before 2000

HR - not my like

Among mass-produced brands, Bavaria
The Oyster is the top of that list for world crusing with family in mind if you can go for a 50 you will do well
Even the mass produced at 50ft are good

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
paul180401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:43   #47

Boat: Looking

Thx for the suggestions, but it's back to the original question, is it worth the time and money to buy in the Med or just spend my efforts looking in the USA, Mexico or Caribbean
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:51   #48

There are two threads going on at the same time. You will get a great deal in the Caribbean but if it's 1w years away don't worry about it right now

Old 29-11-2015, 15:04   #49

Boat: TBD The Admiral will have to approve!

Most laptops chargers sold today will use either 100 or 220V without issue, you may need to order a different power cord from the brick to the wall socket though. This si also true of desktop PCs (though why you'd want to bring a desktop PC while cruising is beyond me!). Likewise for many small household appliances.

the problem isn't going to be finding devices that will run on 220, that's easy, it will be finding places in North America where you have 220V shore power. A step-up transformer could be used to switch North American standard 110V shorepower to 220V, though I'm not certain of the cost there.
Old 29-11-2015, 15:08   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Most laptops chargers sold today will use either 100 or 220V without issue, you may need to order a different power cord from the brick to the wall socket though. This si also true of desktop PCs (though why you'd want to bring a desktop PC while cruising is beyond me!). Likewise for many small household appliances.

the problem isn't going to be finding devices that will run on 220, that's easy, it will be finding places in North America where you have 220V shore power. A step-up transformer could be used to switch North American standard 110V shorepower to 220V, though I'm not certain of the cost there.
GregoryK

If you read the thread you will see that it has been resolved and some people are talking about more high spec systems

Read back

Old 29-11-2015, 15:11   #51

Boat: Looking

Looks like this thread went from asking about money wise the difference between buying in the Med vs USA to electrical
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 15:11   #52

Oysters appear to start at 1/2 million mark for even 46 footers. Are they that amazing? Am I going to be at a severe disadvantage going with a Hanse, Bavaria, or Dufour?
MDC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 15:29   #53

MDC1980
They are amazing get up and go cruzing with your family yachts

The 56 is the way to go but you see them at 500K and you can see the 48 slightly older at 200K
The point is they will take you around the world in comfort and you can sell it at the end of it all

Hanse Dufour and not in my opinion the boats to be in during a big blow at sea. Great yachts but not in the same league.
There are plenty of Beneteau 50s cross the Atlantic and sail the world. Bit harder to sell at the end

My opinions

Old 29-11-2015, 15:56   #54
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Can any one answer the OPs original question? I am looking to buy this year and wonder about the prices in Turkey and Greece. 220v woukd be good in the Med then join ARC to St Lucia
Old 29-11-2015, 16:02   #55

That's been answered ages ago check the thread. What sort of yacht

Old 29-11-2015, 16:05   #56

I love Benes too and I'm not stuck on any name. I am a long way out from buying. The goal is a 40-45 ft boat that shows light wear and is outfitted to make it around the world. I read a lot as well. I should have between $200-300k for a boat and il rather not spend it all. I haven't seen any oysters around $200k. The price differential between the Med and the Americas on the big Europe names just seemed to be too good to be true.
MDC1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 17:48   #57

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

One question is does VAT play a roll or is it a non issue if you leave within 180 days? I know there is a 1.5% import fee in the US but thats not a deal killer. One thing is , looks like a long trip to the caribe from croatia.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 18:20   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC1980 View Post
I love Benes too and I'm not stuck on any name. I am a long way out from buying. The goal is a 40-45 ft boat that shows light wear and is outfitted to make it around the world. I read a lot as well. I should have between $200-300k for a boat and il rather not spend it all. I haven't seen any oysters around $200k. The price differential between the Med and the Americas on the big Europe names just seemed to be too good to be true.
My friend has a new bene 54 and they have been around the world in it no problem. The prices I quote are in Pounds and even 200k dollars go to Greece and trust me you will get a bargin expecially if you are good at doing some work yourself.

Another place to go is Denmark and Sweden. They keep their boats in great condition as a whole.

Try the Sweden 42 great boats

Old 29-11-2015, 18:33   #59
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul180401 View Post
That's been answered ages ago check the thread. What sort of yacht

oh sorry, and thanks Paul180401, you made me realize my phone was not refreshing all the pages of this thread. I now have all the pages.
I'm looking for a Nauticat 525 or Amel 53 or Westerly 57 in particular. I will look through all the pages now.
Old 29-11-2015, 23:05   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
oh sorry, and thanks Paul180401, you made me realize my phone was not refreshing all the pages of this thread. I now have all the pages.
I'm looking for a Nauticat 525 or Amel 53 or Westerly 57 in particular. I will look through all the pages now.
There are deals on yachts like those due to their size but you need to have the money and be ready to move. What budget are you talking

Tags
buying