Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 11:48   #1

Buying my first boat is no longer a dream.

Hi Guys.

This is my first post here.

After a completely unrelated youtube suggested video cropping up in my list (Never had i looked at boats on there) I could not believe there was any such thing as any sailing boat for under 80k. It turns out there are and lots of them!

Spending many many weeks now fascinated with watching vids of all different boats and journey's. The boat I want and I can afford at this very time is along the lines of a Westerly Fulmar 32/Discuss 33 etc.

I also like the much cheaper smaller Westerly centaur and this would be a safe budget so I can really see down the line what the true costs of owning a boat would be. Knowing I would have lots of backup money if I needed to spend it.

I can afford the Fulmar right now etc. But would you actually buy the biggest you could afford? Or just go for a smaller cheaper boat to start with just to get some experience of things? then go for a bigger one later on?

Although I have no experience. I know this is what I want to try. I also do know boats are a massive task and that many things can go wrong and its not all plain sailing at all. It looks like a lot of hard long work!.

I want to learn much more before next year, maintenance, sailing etc. A lot of people in life (As I expected) have tried putting me off this. But its what I want and has been for a very long time!. I never thought anything like this would ever be in a price range until recently.

What are your thoughts and very sorry for the long post.
DoughMyDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:50   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Buying my first boat is no longer a dream.

If you want to do it, do it.

Have fun.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:04   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard doughmydays! There are a few threads here on that very subject. There are many folks who feel the same as you! In general my own advice would be to start on the small, cheap side so you can get good a lot experience and not wake up at night saying, "what have I just done?" if you bite off more than you can chew in a boat purchase. But I'd also suggest going even SMALLER and cheaper to get started, just to learn on and see how you like sailing. A small boat that you can easily take sailing everyday while you are learning is great and it will be a lot of fun. It is a buyers' market for boats and there are many great boats available at affordable prices
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:10   #4

Cool! Spend a lot of time researching a boat you get interested in. Including asking here. It's super easy to buy a money pit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:07   #5

Wow. Thanks so much for the quick response. I just need someone else to say it!.

I'm all for taking risks. But putting 20k+ into something I've never done is far too much. I think i will actually go even smaller. Maybe even a 15-20ft little boat to get a feel what I'm in for and find somewhere quite protected i can try things out.
Old 04-08-2020, 13:13   #6

Boat: 32’ Sloop

A 15-20’ is going to be a completely different animal, Flying Dutchmen, laser 2, fun and they’ll teach you about sailing, more on the racing side than cruising, and be fun, but if you want the cruising feel I’d say something like a flicka would be as small as you’ll want to go, and not many sailboats that small cruise like that.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/flicka-20

I’d go $$ wise, get the nicest boat you can afford, a 33’ boat that’s more or less squared away is a better idea than a 45’ “project”. I’d also price out slips, look where you’re going to sail it and look at draft and bridge clearance issues.

You’re not going to want to live on anything south of 15-20k shy of getting a one in a million steal on it.

Maybe look at crewing on others boats first? Be the easiest proof of concept for you
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:13   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughMyDays View Post

I'm all for taking risks. But putting 20k+ into something I've never done is far too much.
I spent $72k after only 3 months of weekend sailing time. You have to pay to play.
Old 04-08-2020, 13:15   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

You can get an old bluewater boat for that amount of money that may be able to take you anywhere.

Check this site:

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

sent from my laptop on a hot spot hookup from my Bristol 27......price tag $2k with $10K more spent on it over the last 9 years.

I have sailed it the entire time. No long refit here
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:17   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I spent $72k after only 3 months of weekend sailing time. You have to pay to play.
Actually some have to pay to play, others do the same with $1600 or so just for the boat.

Sailing time is free.

The $1600 (the boat) can last years.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:23   #10

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Welcome to the forum.
I didn't see where you are located. But look around your area for a sailing co-op. Some of them have 30 footers, give lessons and your annual cost isn't much more than the slip fee you would have paid with your own boat. You might not get as much use as you want, but it will build your experience quicker and cheaper. You will also get to play with several different boats and see the differences before you commit to buying.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 14:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Welcome to the forum.
I didn't see where you are located. But look around your area for a sailing co-op. Some of them have 30 footers, give lessons and your annual cost isn't much more than the slip fee you would have paid with your own boat. You might not get as much use as you want, but it will build your experience quicker and cheaper. You will also get to play with several different boats and see the differences before you commit to buying.
Hi Chris. I am actually based in the uk. I think i have noticed most if not all you guys are based in the states. There is a sailing club not far from my home which is open this weekend I'm going to contact.
Old 04-08-2020, 15:16   #12

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

You have a great backyard for sailing there, I'm a little jealous. I'm actually Canadian, from Alberta. I grew up about a 12 hour drive from the nearest salt water.
So to sail in Europe I have to abide all the schengen rules.
But hopefully one day
Good luck with the sailing club
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:11   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi. The Fulmar is a great boat - lots of sailing schools used to use them. Since you are looking at Westerlys I suggest you look at the Westerly Owners Association website - lots of information about Westerlys there. As an alternative to the 26 ft bilge keel Centaur, look at the Westerly 31, made in 4 variants also from the 1970's. I had a Longbow (31ft, fin keel sloop, aft cockpit). There is also the Berwick (same but with Bilge keels), & the centre cockpit ketch rig (yep) Renown & Pentland. One is fin keel, the other bilge keel - can't remember which is which.
My Longbow was a great boat - sailed around the Solent & also cross channel to France. They would be getting old now but I would guess there are plenty around for sale. Good luck.
Also you might check out the Channel Sailing Club at Channel Sailing Club - Home ??
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:42   #14

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Hi, I thought you might be in the UK from the reference to Westerlys. I am also in the UK and now have a Westerly Storm 33. I've worked my way up from an 18 foot Seafarer (a great day boat) to a 23 foot Hunter Sonata (not for the fainthearted) a 25 foot Feeling (my first proper cruising boat), a Beneteau First 285 (great little boat that I took cross-Channel several times) and now my Storm 33.

There are lots of suggestions I can offer and there isn't the space here. The Centaurs are good and safe but I suggest not great performers. The Fulmars will give you a much better sail.

But as you are starting out, I would start smaller. A lot will also depend where you decide and are able to keep your boat.

I'd look at something like a Swift 18 to start with. They are trailable, so if you have the space you can take them home at the end of season. They are Drop Keel so they can take the ground and that broadens your options as to a base. They reputedly sail very well and you could overnight on them, I think. You can get one for £4k - £6k There are others in that bracket. A 22 foot Corribee (make sure it's a bilge keel one) is another good option. Play with something like that for 2 - 3 years. Learn the ins and outs and then you'll be ready for something bigger. Or you'll decide that smaller is more fun or that you want to do something completely different. Pm me if you want more info.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:51   #15

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Our first boat, 8 years ago was a 22’ (O’day 22) For 1800.00 US with dinghy, and trailer! Best investment we ever made (for fun), we did a lot of cosmetic, some fixes and upgrades-
2 years later we bought 30’ fin keel, 3 years after that
38’
Even if you spend a couple of grand, find out if you
Like it, take a loss on initial investment And move up, you can’t go wrong-
Enjoy, and good luck!
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying