Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 11:00   #1

Buying used in Ga vs Fl Private party

I am working through the purchase process on buying a boat with a private seller(no broker involved). I have the option to buy it in either Georgia or Florida. If i finalize the purchase in Florida there is a 6% sales tax due even if I do not keep this in Florida. In Georgia there is no sale tax since it is a private party sell without a broker.

Since this is going to be a coast guard documented vessel and I do not plan to stay in any one area long enough to trigger the use tax, I think it makes the most sense to finalize this purchase in Georgia.

What am I missing or is it really that simple?
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:07   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Buying used in Ga vs Fl Private party

From reading other threads here I think you have 90 days to get the boat out of florida before owing tax. But....keep it simple and buy it in Georgia if there is no tax.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:11   #3

You only seem to have the option of not paying the Florida sales tax if you are using a broker. If the sale is through a private party in Florida, you are required to pay the tax. This is according to the document service we plan to use.
CapnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 11:58   #4

For what it's worth...

Florida sales tax is only required on the original boat and gear as it came from the factory. Gear/equipment added later is not taxable. It seems few know this and pay tax on the full sale price. Your bill of sale has to reflect this. A second bill of sale with equipment isn't needed unless you want proof of ownership or total value.

Also,unless Florida law has changed, private sellers are not required to collect sales tax...brokers are required to collect it at time of purchase.

Whatever you do check with the each state to make sure you get the correct info but read the regs. Don't rely on a clerk to know it all. Been there and had to educate them not only on sales tax but on antique boat registration cost.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying