Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 11:28   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Canadian buying a California Boat that is state only registed?

The boat I bought is only state registered in California so it's not registered with the USCG. I want to register the boat in Canada. All I have now is a bill of sale and the titles for the boat and the dinghy. The broker I bought the boat from is saying something about me having to hire a special surveyor now that will be like $400 ON TOP OF THE $300 or so dollars to register the boat in Canada.

Is this true? I also read somewhere that since it wasn't registered with the USCG, I may not be able to register it without bills of sale going back to brand new?? Is that true? I'm like the 5th owner! I'll call on Monday but I'm freaking out in the meantime. There's so much to learn about buying an ocean boat. Wow.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 11:59   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Canadian buying a California Boat that is state only registed?

Not certain what the Cdn govt requires to have a Canadian Registration issued but there are several countries of British roots around that require a surveyor approved by Bureau Veritas to come out and 'measure' the vessel and search the documented owners before allowing the vessel to be 'registered' by that country.
Most countries, as far as I know, only allow a vessel to be 'registered' or 'documented' in one country at a time. For example, I once had to 'undocument' an American USCG documented boat prior to 'registering' the same vessel in the Cayman Islands for the owner. A special surveyor licensed by Bureau Veritas had to be flown in to perform the survey measurement which not only included a number of volume measurements but also the number and size of cannon the ship could carry. Interesting info but not certain how pertinent it is today.
I'm not certain but I don't believe a state registration must be removed before you apply for a Canadian registration which is similar to a National USCG documentation in the US. Canada is unique in that there is a Central Registry that documents owners and liens on boats and motor vehicles but I belive that the registries are handled by the provinces. It makes sense that Canada might require a Bureau Veritas licensed surveyor but not sure of that. Perhaps someone who lives north of the 48 can share what is happening up there now. Interesting issue... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:09   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

SS L-D,

Have you seen this thread? It might have some tips for you.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post935917
Old 21-04-2012, 12:39   #4

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Hi Lil'Devil
I have done pretty much the same thing except my boat is still in the US and it is Coast guard registered.

I think i have to pay near $250 to have it DE-registered, and then have a Bill of sale drawn up,,(I have the previous owners signed coast guard reg) and maybe a lien check,,but i think that is more for insurance purposes.

California also has a usage tax(kinda like our HST) which has to be paid if you use the boat for any purpose in California waters.

It's a bit hairy but i think with enough patience i can get through it all ok,,,all depends how much pocket lint i have to sift through..
Let me know how it goes for you,,cos i go down to meet my boat in June..

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Mine's still in the US as well and won't likely be taken back to Canada. I plan to cross the South Pacific. I don't have to deregsiter since mine isn't with the USCG. My understanding was I wouldn't have to pay the CDN tax until/if I sail it back to Canada, but I could register it anyway. Because of that, I didn't bother with an offshore delivery and just resigned to paying the California state tax. I'm going to check that link now and demystify this thing.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, california