Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 10:14   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Charter yacht LLC. Colorado, or Delaware?

Hello,
We’re buying a yacht to keep in charter in the BVI.
We’ll own the boat in an LLC, and the question is whether the LLC should be a Colorado LLC, where we live, or whether there is a significant advantage in it being a Delaware LLC, for instance?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 31-10-2021, 11:22   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Charter yacht LLC. Colorado, or Delaware?

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 13:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMc View Post
Hello,
We’re buying a yacht to keep in charter in the BVI.
We’ll own the boat in an LLC, and the question is whether the LLC should be a Colorado LLC, where we live, or whether there is a significant advantage in it being a Delaware LLC, for instance?

Thanks,
Doug
If you do any work for the LLC in CO then technically you would need to register the DE LLC as a foreign corporation in CO, which just means double the paperwork. I see no advantage to a DE LLC unless you're in some situation where you think DE corporate law would be more advantageous. I can't think of any specific cases like that for boat ownership.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 13:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
If you do any work for the LLC in CO then technically you would need to register the DE LLC as a foreign corporation in CO, which just means double the paperwork. I see no advantage to a DE LLC unless you're in some situation where you think DE corporate law would be more advantageous. I can't think of any specific cases like that for boat ownership.
Thanks. That makes sense. I hadn't really considered doing work in Colorado, but I'm sure I will be. It makes things simpler and cleaner to simply set up in Colorado.
doug

Tags
charter, yacht