Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 14:24   #1

Cheap Dry or Wet Storage on the Gulf Coast

So I am getting close here to finishing up my solo trip from Milwaukee to Mobile and I need a cheap place to get the boat to on the gulf coast. I am a college student so I have already been nickle and dimeing this trip, and I have to get back to Montana for school and to teach classes of my own. I will be planning on getting back on her for my break in january.

She is a 28.5 pearson triton. I have heard that the new municipal harbors in Mississippi are cheap but would like other suggestions as well. The closer to the keys the better but price is my formost concern.

Thanls everyone.
stuborndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 14:38   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: cheap dry or wet storage on the Gulf Coast

Not in the right direction but Serendipity Marina, Palacious, Texas.
Legend point Marina, Clear Lake, Texas.($90 month last I heard)
Old 18-07-2013, 15:05   #3

Re: cheap dry or wet storage on the Gulf Coast

Pass Christian Harbor, Pass Christian, MS has the cheapest rates on the gulf coast. About $3 a foot a month and a $25 electricity charge.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 18:33   #4

Ok good to hear. Figured I was heading to MS to store.
Old 19-07-2013, 11:23   #5

How safe is that marina? Sorry I am new to the coast and have been on the great lakes for a while now and seattle. Is it safe to leave my boat there during hurrican season, with no ability to go move it if I need to? Or should I be looking at keeping it up a river somewhere? Or possibly somewhere on the tentom just before mobile?
Old 19-07-2013, 11:58   #6

Boat: nothing
Re: Cheap Dry or Wet Storage on the Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
How safe is that marina? Sorry I am new to the coast and have been on the great lakes for a while now and seattle. Is it safe to leave my boat there during hurrican season, with no ability to go move it if I need to? Or should I be looking at keeping it up a river somewhere? Or possibly somewhere on the tentom just before mobile?
Before Afters
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
No, you don't want to leave it there, or in any other harbor on the northen Gulf of Mexico, during a hurricane. There are lots of hurrican holes up the Jordan river and off Bay St. Louis. I have a favorite one (that I won't disclose ) where boats in it survived Katrina undamaged.

As hard as it is to believe, we just get used to dealing with hurricanes and I kind of laugh at the people who only get one every ten years and run around in circles screaming when they hear one is coming. They are very survivable with the proper precautions. But, you do have to be able to be here or have someone here who can do it for you.
Old 22-07-2013, 06:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

I lived in Pass Christian when Katrina hit (I live in Bay St. Louis, now) Katrina was so much more powerful than a normal hurricane, they should have given it a different name. "Hurricane" just doesn't cut it.

We had guys from Miami who had been through Andrew come help (I went through Andrew, too) and I told them 'you are not going to believe it when you see it. It makes Andrew damage look minor.' (It made Camille damage look minor).

None of them believed me until they got here.

And, yet, some boats did survive it, to show that any storm can be prepared for. My daughter went through Katrina, and now lives in New Jersey and went through Sandy. She says she has to be careful about telling people up there how minor the damage caused by Sandy looks to her.
Old 22-07-2013, 06:46   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

group--i call em furycames....they pack a punch from hell. beautiful to watch but not from a boat under them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 06:56   #10

Alrighty. Thanks everyone for the info. I think I am going to leave the boat at demopolis yacht basin still on the tenn tom. Only 2 days from the coast, but won't have to worry about her as much.

Tags
cheap, storage