Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2023, 10:36   #16

Re: Cost to deliver/ferry

An experienced captain with watch qualified mate will $500 per day, door to door, plus associated expenses (meals, travel to/from vessel, dockage, fuel, custom/immigration). Get captain's FICO score (how he/she handles their finances has a direct correlation how they will treat your vesse) and boat owner reference checks. Remember, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 13:04   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I charge $450/day, including travel days, and all expences. 600 Miles, 30 foot boat, likely 7 to 9 days if the weather was perfect and no stops for fuel or weather were needed. Plus a travel day on each end, so $4000 to $5500 PLUS expences. Plus crew…

Despite that apparently lucrative fee, taking a 30 foot boat from NS to NJ is something I’d probably pass on. Not that it can’t be done, but I wouldn’t find it fun.

It would also GREATLY depend on the boat when we get that small. There are a LOT of 30 foot sailboats I would just turn down for ANY ocean delivery. I once refused a Catalina 32 from LA to San Francisco.

My advice for a boat that small is TRUCK.
Sound advice but as with many things...it depends. I'm not sure Id take that delivery unless I did it slowly and easily due to the route and smallish size of the boat. I think $450 a day for a captain is lower than I would take, but Id also want, transport, food and a paid mate and transport for a third. Thank you.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 16:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Sound advice but as with many things...it depends. I'm not sure Id take that delivery unless I did it slowly and easily due to the route and smallish size of the boat. I think $450 a day for a captain is lower than I would take, but Id also want, transport, food and a paid mate and transport for a third. Thank you.
Don't anyone think too hard about this anymore. I would never pay this type of money to deliver any item worth, in the neighborhood, of $35K. Who the hell would. If they did I'm sure they'd find a way to stiff you.
iplayforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 17:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Actually boatowners should think harder about this and ask who is trying to "stiff" who in this matter. The above opinion is the commenter's right, right but to make such blatant and negative accusations just cheapens and pollutes dialog. Delivering another person's boat is not easy and requires experience, equipment, training and stamina. Even the easiest delivery where weather is superb (..occasionally) and there are no defects or breakdowns (also occasionally) requires a competent and trustworthy person to prepare, pack up and travel and be away from home, sometimes in challenging and difficult positions. It is a 24-7 job with a lot of responsibility and is not a joy ride and can come with risks. A boat captain has to prepare the boat, run the boat, and all that entails and attempt to arrive in a timely manner, clean the boat, pack up and go home while also supervising and trusting in the crew, keeping records, doing routine maintenance and sometimes undertaking or contracting for emergency repairs. The value of the boat is almost if not completely irrelevant for what should be obvious reasons so I don't need to explain that. In general but not absolute terms, the higher value boat is likely to be in better shape, have a more "generous" and willing owner, be better equipped and with more conveniences and luxuries, less likely to break down etc. so it may make for an easier trip, but if the skipper is charging by the day, why should it matter that much if at all if it is a 55' million dollar yacht or a 30 foot $35,000 boat? The commenter's assertion defies logic but why expect logic from someone who is so condescending and accusatory in cyberspace? (not to mention that he only just joined this forum in December and has five posts?) Hopefully his future posts are more positive and helpful. Sorry for the thread drift but the commenter deserves a response and I ask this, if a boat is trucked overland, would the value of the vessel have any impact on the cost? No it would not likely have any impact, but size and weight might. So it does make some sense to think a bit harder about this, which the commenter should consider as well as the fact that when a person is distrustful of others, it is because he is usuually not trustworthy.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 17:21   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplayforme View Post
Thanks again. To address some points made and advice offered.

I can appreciate the point about inexperienced ferry captains, but honestly I think that has to be judged apart from whether or not they do it for a living. So far, in my 49 years, I've come to find that someone calling themselves a "professional" means nothing. Right now my boiler is running. That's 3 years after I had 2 different licensed "master" plumbers over to fix it. One said it would be $700 and the next $450. I downloaded the manual and fixed it with a piece of emery cloth. Again, I hope I didn't just jinx it, but it's been 3 years and they were both wrong. I am sure there are some very competent people that will help me move a boat both professionally and as a side job. Ultimately I have to decide. Whether or not they're a pro, I could end up wanting to kill them. It is true that insurance plays a part with regard to a professional. I just had a student learning my trade that ran sportfishing boats for many years. He assured me that amongst the boating crowd you'll find some of the best and worst people that exist. So again, you have to be able to read people to a degree.

As far as getting the know how myself. I certainly plan to become proficient. My plan was to get a boat, get it home, and then hire a tutor. That way I could slowly expand my horizon. While true that I could take a course, I am not sure I'd feel prepared for the endless eventualities that could pop up. Someone aboard with experience would be invaluable if an emergency came up. I do like the spirit of this though. I am just spending so much energy on the hunt that I have little left for learning at the moment. It seemed like a decent plan to have a boat ready to learn on by maybe mid summer. I thought I'd take advantage of the winter to shop and leave the summer to learn. You know I could also see if the owner will sail it back with me and then be flown home. Can't hurt to ask.

My best case scenario is myself and a friend or two being along for the ride. I think I'd learn a lot and, for me, it would be a great experience and entry into sailing.

I am doing as much as I can remotely and will certainly have to fly up there to see it in person. That will be the defining moment. If I feel certain it's a good fit I can get moving in earnest to find either a willing "amateur" or someone for hire whose fee I can feel good about. Of course I will expect to compensate any amateur that agrees to help. Depending on the season I could look to get some instruction as well.

As sailingharry suggests, splitting it up and making stops would be nice. I just have to account for lost pay while I do that. That is a factor where finance is concerned. Of course how do you put a price on the experience of being onboard your first sailboat as you take it home. That's worth a few bucks too. I'll be interested to see the blog detailing sailingharrys trip.

All great points and info. I always think the best way to learn and make decisions is to vacuum up as much advice and info as you can get and distill it to see what makes sense to you given your situation and risk aversion. Never a great idea to look for an "answer" from a single source. Not with your money, health, boiler etc.

Thank you
OK, here is an alternate plan.

Assumption #1. You a reasonably bright and competent.
Assumption #2. It isn't that big of a trip.

Plan:
  1. Go to the boat and take possession
  2. Do a 1-2 day trip to ANYWHERE as a shake down.
  3. Plan two weeks to fix whatever things you find on item #2
  4. Get a crew member and take off to your home port.
  5. If things go sour stop wherever and park it until you are ready to start again.
  6. Oh, take some navigation lessons online or something so you can read a chart
Old 04-03-2023, 17:23   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cost to deliver/ferry

Quote:
Don't anyone think too hard about this anymore. I would never pay this type of money to deliver any item worth, in the neighborhood, of $35K. Who the hell would. If they did I'm sure they'd find a way to stiff you.
So basically your asking someone to sail a cheap unproven boat that your not prepared to take the risk on based on your word that its a seaworthy sound vessel
Who's trying to stiff who..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 17:42   #22

Quote:
What a rude and obnoxious comment. Try playing nice.

My price for a delivery has NOTHING to do with the value of the boat. It has to do with paying for my time, experience and expertise. I am not trying to "stiff" anybody. You can have an 80 foot gold plated yacht, and I charge the same as I would if you have a 35 foot cruiser. It's the same to me.

It costs this much to move a boat. It's entirely YOUR choice if you want to pay it or not.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 17:50   #23

Be careful to make sure the boat is not subject to GST or HST taxes (poss 15%) on purchase of boat in Nova Scotia. You might not be if you move it out of Nova Scotia by a certain date. Research before you purchase if you do.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 20:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Be careful to make sure the boat is not subject to GST or HST taxes (poss 15%) on purchase of boat in Nova Scotia. You might not be if you move it out of Nova Scotia by a certain date. Research before you purchase if you do.
Thanks for this. Something I hadn't yet thought of, and hasn't been mentioned yet despite so very expert people weighing in.
Old 04-03-2023, 21:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So basically your asking someone to sail a cheap unproven boat that your not prepared to take the risk on based on your word that its a seaworthy sound vessel
Who's trying to stiff who..
Champ. I wouldn't do any such thing. I wouldn't buy it without a survey that say's it's ready to go. Otherwise I wouldn't but it. The problem lies in the fact that I can run a Train, and fly a plane, but haven't sailed a boat across a great expanse of water. "Unproven" where did that word come from. It's a damn near 50 year old boat, made of steel, built in France, sitting in NS AND painted RED. Best I can tell I want the Goddam thing and am just looking for someone with a sense of humor and adventure to sail it back to the friendliest place on EARTH....NJ....with me there to suffer along. Your never gonna catch me asking ANYONE to go somewhere I wouldn't. Except Portugal. Cheap......what a TWAT. That will cost me a lot of what I earn. How do you EARN your money there in Portugal?
Old 04-03-2023, 21:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
What a rude and obnoxious comment. Try playing nice.

My price for a delivery has NOTHING to do with the value of the boat. It has to do with paying for my time, experience and expertise. I am not trying to "stiff" anybody. You can have an 80 foot gold plated yacht, and I charge the same as I would if you have a 35 foot cruiser. It's the same to me.

It costs this much to move a boat. It's entirely YOUR choice if you want to pay it or not.
Play Nice! I will. There are some that have sent very nice PM's and some that have openly said something to the affect says, "Get in touch with me if you want to buy that boat....I'll sail it back with you." I haven't addressed them directly and I should have. I will now. Thank you. To tell me you want a half a thousand a day, plus a crew, plus expenses, plus....plus...plus ...plus. That throws me off the prospect when it really shouldn't. It isn't germaine to this conversation. I may not be a sailor of any sort, but I'm ready to say this is a run of the mill move. If you can get $500 a day, quote it where it makes sense....have at it. I'm sure there are many instances where it does. It just comes off high handed and a waste of time. It comes with the typical scare tactics of a "Captain Ron" scenario. Down here in the regular guy world where I operate, I love the Captain Ron's. I have learned to trust them more than anyone with a collar. If I can find some salty SOB that will sail me and my new boat home without ALL the paperwork. Great. I can guarantee you we will make it. I want to say that I was put off by some of the posts tat were price quotes but let them pass. I just couldn't do so when someone piled on that they would have to think about it or would pass because it wasn't fun. What are we here for? Is this helpful? I would just say I'll help you OR your barking up the wrong tree on a $30K boat NS to NJ. That's playing nice.
Old 04-03-2023, 22:34   #27

[QUOTE=Paul Annapolis;3751047]Actually boatowners should think harder about this and ask who is trying to "stiff" who in this matter. The above opinion is the commenter's right, right but to make such blatant and negative accusations just cheapens and pollutes dialog. Delivering another person's boat is not easy and requires experience, equipment, training and stamina. Even the easiest delivery where weather is superb (..occasionally) and there are no defects or breakdowns (also occasionally) requires a competent and trustworthy person to prepare, pack up and travel and be away from home, sometimes in challenging and difficult positions. It is a 24-7 job with a lot of responsibility and is not a joy ride and can come with risks. A boat captain has to prepare the boat, run the boat, and all that entails and attempt to arrive in a timely manner, clean the boat, pack up and go home while also supervising and trusting in the crew, keeping records, doing routine maintenance and sometimes undertaking or contracting for emergency repairs. The value of the boat is almost if not completely irrelevant for what should be obvious reasons so I don't need to explain that. In general but not absolute terms, the higher value boat is likely to be in better shape, have a more "generous" and willing owner, be better equipped and with more conveniences and luxuries, less likely to break down etc. so it may make for an easier trip, but if the skipper is charging by the day, why should it matter that much if at all if it is a 55' million dollar yacht or a 30 foot $35,000 boat? The commenter's assertion defies logic but why expect logic from someone who is so condescending and accusatory in cyberspace? (not to mention that he only just joined this forum in December and has five posts?) Hopefully his future posts are more positive and helpful. Sorry for the thread drift but the commenter deserves a response and I ask this, if a boat is trucked overland, would the value of the vessel have any impact on the cost? No it would not likely have any impact, but size and weight might. So it does make some sense to think a bit harder about this, which the commenter should consider as well as the fact that when a person is distrustful of others, it is because he is usuually not trustworthy.[/QUOTE

I can tell that you are proud of this as cheap and polluted as it is. Whenever you see "I ask this" you know a proud projection of vomit follows. In this case we have vomit on either side. You address conduct in "cyberspace" and then discuss my post count. I will spell out the problem I have with this is you ask me to. "The commenter deserves a response" and "I ask this" ...my gosh. Why expend so much effort without a real jury. The issue with cost of transport relative to cost of vessel. So, I ask this, did you think I had an aversion to trucking. Remember those sticks that have to be put down and then up. Finally, I said that anyone that paid half of a boats value to have it shipped would probably try to stiff the shipper at the end. I never suggested anyone doing the shipping was doing the stiffing. There are a whole ton of 70's movies that go like that. Has reading comprehension been pulled from schools. I want to demand a high school graduation year from Annapolis, Harmonie and Boatman. I also want to know from Annapolis how it defies logic to hold delivery cost against the cost of a vessel. Strangely, in my world it would DEFINE logic. What does the dingy ride cost on the way to the boat? Is that a delivery?
Old 05-03-2023, 00:08   #28

It does not play well to have a person come to a forum, in any form, and seem combative. While not exactly a stranger to debate, I don't favor it when it is either personal or bound to lead to no positive end. Others and I are engaged in both. Understand that I am looking for my first sailboat. I'm a working class person that is not without real world abilities or respect for them. My distaste for some of the replies may or may not be understood or appreciated and such is always frustrating if you are trying to make a case for unproductive remarks. To say anything other than that my primary reason for being here right now is for help would be dishonest. However, were you to know me personally you'd understand that I take no greater pleasure than in helping people. This is just not an area of expertise for me. I hope to change that some day and certainly appreciate those that have made genuine offers. You could ask my wife. I expressed appreciation to her a few times for the down-to-earth people that either PM'd or replied with offers or ideas. She returned a blank look. Oh well.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:54   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Champ. I wouldn't do any such thing. I wouldn't buy it without a survey that say's it's ready to go. Otherwise I wouldn't but it. The problem lies in the fact that I can run a Train, and fly a plane, but haven't sailed a boat across a great expanse of water. "Unproven" where did that word come from. It's a damn near 50 year old boat, made of steel, built in France, sitting in NS AND painted RED. Best I can tell I want the Goddam thing and am just looking for someone with a sense of humor and adventure to sail it back to the friendliest place on EARTH....NJ....with me there to suffer along. Your never gonna catch me asking ANYONE to go somewhere I wouldn't. Except Portugal. Cheap......what a TWAT. That will cost me a lot of what I earn. How do you EARN your money there in Portugal?
Steel proves nothing.. beyond what owners brag about..
Seem to remember an elderly couple who died in the Caribe when the keel fell off their super strong steelie.. recent survey as well if memory serves
As for being cheap.. by CF norms lately it is, have you not seen the bargain basement thread.. '$35K and Under'.
I used to earn money delivering boats.. but since Covid I have given it up.. to many penny and dimers crawling outa the woodwork.

Old 06-03-2023, 18:17   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote: I want to demand a high school graduation year from Annapolis, Harmonie and Boatman. I also want to know from Annapolis how it defies logic to hold delivery cost against the cost of a vessel. End QUOTE.

Ahh.. The standard call from the intellectually challenged.. "I got more bits paper than you"..
As for the query to Annapolis.. wanna hire a plumber.. pay his rate or do it yourself.. same goes for a delivery.
You want experienced crew then say so and state your terms, don't bitch when you ask an open question and pro's respond.. someone may ask if you qualified from Primary..

Slow boring day..

Tags
Ferry