Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38   #16

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Credit cards -good or bad?

Yup, time to put this thread on "ignore"....
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41   #17

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

A positive, proactive approach, LEase on Life. Happy Easter, and enjoy the other threads-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:46   #18

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Only two cards that matter visa and MasterCard.

Dave
I used Diner's club and American Express for years when traveling, (most countries have a business or bank somewhere that take one or the other, and both require payoff every month, (but Diners has a longer grace period)...........

But they aren't accepted everywhere. Master card and Visa are more widely used, (in most of the world right now).

I now use a payoff every month card as primary, with a Visa as backup, (in some parts of the world MC may be a better backup).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:11   #19
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

So maybe I should get a CC. I dont stay at many marinas unless im at home port where I still pay cash. This winter I have anchored every nigth since nov. 1st. The car rental and return ticket issues make sense. I've never liked the thought of getting a ticket and then having to recoup my funds later. I like my cash in hand.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:26   #20
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Cheoah I thought your analogy was spot on. Same types of personal self control and personal responsability for actions. Here in the key west anchorage dereilict boats (homes) break free from moorings ( 3 junk anchors) and its a accident or act of god.
NO WAY. Accidents are always caused by negligence. Your $1000 boat (only worth the lead) hitting mine is your fault. Not any sort of accident. This might be a new thread.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52   #21

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Check with card company to see what they charge for foreign purchases and exchange rates before applying. They vary quite a bit. Remember if you get a debit card and someone gets it, it is your account that suffers. A mac card is safer if that is possible any more.Another good thing is to get a cheap computer that you only use for your banking, never never anything like surfing or e-mail where you could get a trojan or key logger.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Never needed one never had one. I would say slow down the binge, convert to a debit card, go cruising happily ever after.

Cards are a blessing for a cruiser.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 15:01   #23
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
One other good thing about credit cards is that you are not screwed if someone gets your card and pin.

With a debit card your money is gone, with a credit card if you prove you were robbed, or that there was a form of identity theft you are not out the money. They cancel the card. The best part is that during the interim while you are submitting the paperwork, like a police report, all charges are suspended.

We treat our credit cards like debit cards, and use them especially where benefits like travel insurance or product insurance that the cards offer will be beneficial.

They are paid off every month.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 15:31   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A couple years ago in Tirano, Italy (on a railroad journey prior to a cruise), the hotel accepted the VISA card but it didn't process in the card reader (it did every time before and after at other locations). Fortunately, the debit card did. Yes, it is wise to have two cards.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10   #25

Pay the full balance every month--except for when you make a deliberate, conscious decision to carry some particular, unusual expense for a couple of months--and credit cards are wonderfully convenient things that can actually help you to manage your money better. Get carried away with charging stuff you can't really afford and they can suck you into financial problems that you may never fully recover from.

Here's a clue: If you find yourself thinking, "I can afford to buy this, because it is not going to add all that much to my minimum monthly payment," then you are in BIG trouble!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

There are prepaid CC's now. So one can limit their account w/o too much worry of it getting stolen.

Prepaid Credit Card Offers - Compare and Apply Online - CreditCardGuide.com
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57   #27

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The prepaids are great, sometimes you have to unlock them to use online. A big advantage is to use them up and toss, no worries.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Good - when you are in charge of the CC.
Bad - when the CC is in charge of you.
+1
They are a handy tool, just pay it every month. There are places that only take them. What if you want to rent a car somewhere? What if the storage/ boat yeard requires one? Use it wisely!

Here's an interesting thing, on my trip to Florida a couple years ago (2010) Bank of America did not recognize that I had a bank account with them! My Debit card worked outside the bank, my credit card worked fine most everywhere, but inside the bank they could find no record of an account! Gives you a lot of confidence in them doesnt it? Evidently at that time it was Bank of "your homestate" America .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19   #29

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

There will come a time you may need them... Either ordering a parts over the phone or for some thing like marina fees (You get the best exchange rate from the banks normally).

We have found two cards that do not charge international transaction fees:

Capitol One & Navy Federl Credit Union

We use these card sparingly and pay them off right away, thereby avoiding hte interest payments.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
There are prepaid CC's now. So one can limit their account w/o too much worry of it getting stolen.

Prepaid Credit Card Offers - Compare and Apply Online - CreditCardGuide.com
But I wonder if it is the same problem that Foolishsailor spoke of..."With a debit card your money is gone, with a credit card if you prove you were robbed, or that there was a form of identity theft you are not out the money. They cancel the card".If you pay up front and it is stolen, would you loose the money?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote