Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2010, 20:00   #1

Cruising Boat

I am a newbie and considering taking up the cruising lifestlye. Most of my experience is renting moorings boats and going around the carribean. My first question is what is a really comfortable liveaboard cruising boat. Money would not be much of an issue, think in the 300 to 500K ballpark. 300k if I could get away with it. Space would be paramount. I don't want to live in a cramped boat. My sailing would be mostly two people with some guests at times. Thoughts on the boat to get?
dhenline
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 21:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Where to where?

Could you tell us where you plan to start, where you'd like to end up, an approximate timetable and give us some idea of your physical condition (non PC - age) so we can give better targeted replies.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 21:21   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
In that price range you could get a good monohull or multihull. Having lots of money to work with makes your job a lot easier.

I don't have any specific recommendations of yacht models. Before we purchased our Privilege 39, we chartered the yachts that we were considering purchasing. On the charters, it became abundantly clear that the Privilege 39 was the right yacht for us.

Before I would spend big bucks on a yacht, I would charter a sistership to see how the yacht worked for me. You learn a lot about a yacht when cruising on board for a week or two.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29   #4

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Damn, must be nice to not have to worry about the difference between $300K and $500K when it comes to buying a boat...

here I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend $175K or go for a year newer one at $189K with less problems to fix initially.
Old 01-07-2010, 14:03   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
Damn must be nice to worry about whether to spend $175k or $189k. Here I'm trying to decide whether to spend $90k or $100k -

And while I mean it; you know this is going to get out of hand and is met in jest overall.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:38   #6

Listen
we all live in a budget. some large some small. The constraints are the same. 175K? in Asia that would be a fortune. My 500K, Paul Allens dingy costs more. It is all relative
so come on give me some good boats to look at
Old 01-07-2010, 15:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Damn must be nice to worry about whether to spend $175k or $189k. Here I'm trying to decide whether to spend $90k or $100k -
And im debating $2,000 to $10,000! lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 15:05   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
Listen
we all live in a budget. some large some small. The constraints are the same. 175K? in Asia that would be a fortune. My 500K, Paul Allens dingy costs more. It is all relative
so come on give me some good boats to look at
The real point is that you asked an impossible question! In your budget your choices are endless, how would you ever expect a forum to answer it? Who could know hat type of boat you want better than you?
Old 01-07-2010, 16:28   #9

OK don that is a fiar reply
so give me some general ideas
How is a center cockpit compared to an aft cockpit in the 50ft range? is the sailing as fun? What boats would have a 2 cabin 2 nice baths layout in that size range? If I want minimum hassels, what is the oldest boat I should be looking at? Lets start with those questions
don
Old 01-07-2010, 16:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Could you tell us where you plan to start, where you'd like to end up, an approximate timetable and give us some idea of your physical condition (non PC - age) so we can give better targeted replies.

boracy. I will be 50 yrs old and will probably limit my crusing to the carribean and the med. I doubt pacific will be on the list
lets say couple of years time frame
Old 01-07-2010, 16:43   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
OK don that is a fiar reply
so give me some general ideas
How is a center cockpit compared to an aft cockpit in the 50ft range? is the sailing as fun? What boats would have a 2 cabin 2 nice baths layout in that size range? If I want minimum hassels, what is the oldest boat I should be looking at? Lets start with those questions
don
lots of old threads on this site that you can read to answer all these and more

in the end it doesn't matter what we say, it's what you prefer and it is not up to us to go though the thousands of various answers till you have done some research and narrowed down YOUR wants and needs