Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2009, 09:05   #166

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
merry christmas to those that live (crusie) on a sailboat for 500 per month or less......god bless them, nobody can deny that they cant do it.

is there anyone here (in 2010) that is curising today on an average of 500 per month......

I want some comforts like the cost of having a laptop and internet, i am also worried about the cost of the pump outs that I will need
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:27   #167

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Actually, anyone crusing on $500 a month probably wouldn't be posting here, unless they're in a library(closed on Christmas), or having a latte in an internet coffeehouse, since airwave internet would set a person back about $60 per month.

Personally, I'll have a bit more than $500 per month, but the day I go "boating", my computer and cell-phone goes bye-bye. 30 years of working with those dang %^$%#&$%*^ computers is more than enough.

I'm not only looking forward to the more "simple", life . . . I actually need it. At least for a while.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:30   #168

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
For person who looks rather happy in his sailing pictures, he sounds very unhappy at hearing about other people's hopes and dreams . . . enough so, to spend his energy squashing anyone else's "on the cheap" concept of happiness.
I do not think Mark is in any way trying to crush peoples dreams. Mark is a realist. He is out there and doing it.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:59   #169

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Realist?

So-if one cruises on $500p/mnth one can't be a realist?
I also look happy when I'm photographed with my daughters
SURV 69 in thread 165 , your comments/observations are very relavent
I'll stick to sailing,swimming,snorkelling,sightseeing and fishing to make my dreams come true Now thats realistic
Keeps me in budget, maybe I'll save this month?

Clyde
Old 25-12-2009, 10:55   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I haven't decided whether MarkJ is bragging or complaining about HIS high costs of keeping his boat in order and the repairs that seem to plague him.

For person who looks rather happy in his sailing pictures, he sounds very unhappy at hearing about other people's hopes and dreams . . . enough so, to spend his energy squashing anyone else's "on the cheap" concept of happiness.
Mark and Nic are anything but unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
I do not think Mark is in any way trying to crush peoples dreams. Mark is a realist. He is out there and doing it.

Paul

Everyone is different. I don't need to rescue Mark or speak for him but he is out there doing it and they are having a blast.

I could live under a railroad bridge but I choose not to. Chicken rice in Singapore is about US$1. I can live on $30 bucks a month. But I don't...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 12:25   #171

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
TimeMachine Sailing » TimeMachine - Cruising a Searunner 31 Trimaran through Central America and Mexico

Some PDF's of newsletter from the 70's of trimaran group who were serious "living on the cheap" kinda guys. Makes for some fun reading.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 13:25   #172

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I could live under a railroad bridge but I choose not to. Chicken rice in Singapore is about US$1. I can live on $30 bucks a month. But I don't...

This statement pretty much hits the nail on the head..

These " Can you do this for that" kind of questions are kind of silly really as its like asking a political or religious question...The answer will be different for everyone.

What has been shared here is what has or is being done by people doing it or having done some cruising and then some like me whom have not but know enough of themselves and their boats to know about what figure will work and what one will most likely not.

I have no desire to live anywhere for 500 per month unless I could maintain my current lifestyle on that sum somewhere...If that's possible sign me up.

Pulling from other threads and comments made and ideas given... I know I would be bored stiff idling away the days with out some night life to some degree once or twice per week on the hook or renting a car or moped's to explore in land areas, local haunts and so forth no matter how beautiful the anchorage is...So what's the point for me even trying to be so frugal?...I would quit the second or third month out!

I love solitude at times but I love a crowd equally well at others...when I hear the term "counter culture"...I think of unyielding ideals from people trying to fend off and hoard for themselves some jem of a so called nirvana they found somewhere...and I'm not welcome because I don't look or act like them or something like that...I'm an uninvited intruder crashing the party.

This is my vision of counter culture and I hope its squashed dead ..for it is a very selfish attitude...no higher in regard then the jerk who is mindless of what his generator noise is doing to some pristine anchorage somewhere 24/7...or a blaring boom box on the beach or cockpit...or naked harry butt on a for deck for that matter.....Counter to me means "Screw you I don't care how you feel"
or " If you don't like it move"......well that doesn't work very well does it on public lands!.. if you are the one feeling wronged because this is "Your" paradise.

So What's my point?....we have to ALL be sensitive toward one another in all we do at all times...and engage in our personal freedoms when it offends no one and modify them when they do...if not then you are the one who is the pig of the anchorage no matter who dropped anchor first or what boat you own..or how much money it takes to get you by.

This has nothing to do with stifling individualism but everything to do with humbleness toward others...Howl at the moon..or run a generator all we want when no ear is there to offend but you will be counter to my culture and I yours if its when either of us are trying to sleep or enjoy a sunrise or sun set . Be kind towards one another and we suddenly find ourselves from the same culture...that would be known as the Human culture trying to enjoy our lives separately in different ways while occupying the same real estate together.

Anybody from that culture is welcomed buy me as friend and I'm usually found buying the first round of beer..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:25   #173
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I don't see why everyone is picking on me just because I have an opinion.

Remember I have recently left a marina where a guy committed suicide because he couldn't fix his engine. It was about a 45-50ft ketch. After he died the marina just towed his boat out and dumped it the other side of the bay. They then started to use his dinghy as a marina work boat.

Within a week or so everyone had forgotten him...

Anyway, you go find out. Don't turn around in 20 years and say "I was gunna go but this guy on the internet....."

Mark
PS personal attacks because of an opinion expressed are a little perplexing. Why? Are my thoughts, personally expressed, less valid than yours or others? If so just don't read my posts, or, put me on 'Ignore'.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:46   #174

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Mark

I don't know...but many of us here have noticed the old mellower Mark we use to know lately...and we like it allot .. so don't let them under your skin OK..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 22:16   #175

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I haven't decided whether MarkJ is bragging or complaining about HIS high costs of keeping his boat in order and the repairs that seem to plague him.

Marks advice is based on real life, real time, cruising.

The OP can take it or leave it, after all this was not unsolicited advice... the OP ASKED for our opinion.

I'm not a live aboard cruiser so I cant offer any advice based on those specific costs, but I am a sailboat owner and can tell you that $500 doesn’t go very far if your boats in perfect condition...if its a piece of junk with lots of issues forget it.
And I’m also a human so I eat and drink and bath and in my case these things also cost.
As many have said..at the end of the day it will be a question of what standard you wish to live.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 00:04   #176

Boat: Fantasia 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Remember I have recently left a marina where a guy committed suicide because he couldn't fix his engine. It was about a 45-50ft ketch. After he died the marina just towed his boat out and dumped it the other side of the bay. They then started to use his dinghy as a marina work boat.

Within a week or so everyone had forgotten him...

Anyway, you go find out. Don't turn around in 20 years and say "I was gunna go but this guy on the internet....."

Mark
PS personal attacks because of an opinion expressed are a little perplexing. Why? Are my thoughts, personally expressed, less valid than yours or others? If so just don't read my posts, or, put me on 'Ignore'.
Mark,

As an observation, you some times come across as an absolutist. Your words tend to offer little room for the ideas of others. As an example in your last post you refer to a man committing suicide to reinforce your point. It may have been the lost of his engine that pushed him over the edge, but I suspect that there was larger underlining problems. Anyway, just a thought on way your posts may solicit strong responses.

Best regards,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 02:54   #177

Can't Mark discuss his cruising experiences, like the rest of us, without undue criticism of his cruising philosophy? This dude is taking a far bigger risk in his cruise around the world, than people like me and the rest of the $500 per month enthusiasts. And he freely shares his pictures, stories, and personal advice with anyone who asks. Perhaps a few are a little jealous of the man maybe??
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 02:54   #178
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Mark,

As an observation, you some times come across as an absolutist.
Paul
Granted, Paul

I was not sulking when I said don't pick on me.

None of those that suggest I am totally up my own butt have sugested how they expect to haul their boat anually and antifoul it within a $500 budget. Nor do they quote any other cost apart from their own food. Food is a major part of the running cost, but there are other huge costs too.

I know some people are single and have 26 foot yacht. Yes that will be cheaper to run as women do need to eat thus a couple cost more than a single.

Yes, someone in 1845 may have sailed the world on 2 paesos per decade. But I am saying to those that think they can do it: You need a better thought process in planning than just slagging off the messenger.

Nor am I destroying peoples dreams. Meerly pointing that people ought to realise the reality. How they handle that is their food for thought. And lets hope they do have a thought or 2 before casting off.

As I said, either in my critical persona or my warm and fuzzy persona, if you don't like what I say click User CP / Edit Ignore List and add my name When you go cruising you will learn who was sucking butt and who was telling the truth, as they see it, soon enough.

Of course people can do it on $500 per month. But god help when poop hits the fan and they are 15,000 miles from home.

Mark
PS The sun is setting an Nic wants to sit and watch the sunset with her guitar and my beer. So I will put the warm and fuzzy me back on.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 04:05   #179

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Mark..we would get along great.....I love you man

and its great that everyone can tell it like it is, thats why I joined this forum
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 06:15   #180

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
$500 per month cruising - Not! $500/mo cruising - Yes! Both are correct - however it all depends upon what you are talking about and what is included in the $500/mo. That $500/mo works out to $6K per year which is possible if you spend a hundred or two each month on food, stay in one place without crossing international borders, never use the engine more than a few minutes per month or don't even bother having one. A mid 20's footer with only a 2.5HP outboard and nothing more than a couple of kerosene cabin lights and no batteries has virtually no maintenance costs and "haul-outs" can avoided by careening. A handheld GPS, begged and borrowed old charts and lots of macaroni and cheese plus catching fish also keeps the costs to near zero.
- - But is this a realistic lifestyle for somebody over 30 y.o. who has lived on land in a urban or suburban lifestyle? Maybe for a few weeks or maybe a month. I have and millions have "backpacked" through Europe and Asia living on pennies per day. But we were barely "post-teens" when you are healthy and your immortality is a given. We had a blast and lived free and -sort of - wild and happy. Add a decade or two and slowly reality sets in along with habits of having "things" to make life more enjoyable and to help stay alive.
- - I think one side of the discussion is championed by the "charm" of "backpacking on water" in something floating that is one step up from a dugout canoe or raft. The other side of the discussion is talking about maintaining a mid-life or retirement age lifestyle while cruising the world. Like apples and "pommes de terre" they have very similar names but are hugely different things.
- - The discussion will go on forever because both sides are talking about two wildly different ideas and never recognize the existence of the other's frame of reference.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote