Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 11:28   #46

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Cruising with money...

Maybe not . . .

I'm not sure about the laws, but if paper money copies were made to show they were obvious not real(such as indicating they were counterfeit) and maybe other things, then they might not be considered counterfeit and still appear, in a moment of thievery, criminals(especially those not familiar with American money), might actually think they had it made.

If they were too stupid to look at the money somewhat carefully(something I could imagine criminals not doing), then they might well suffer the consequences.

At what point does a facsimile become an illegal copy? For that matter, at what point does a facsimile become nothing more than good looking play money?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:41   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69
Maybe not . . .

I'm not sure about the laws, but if paper money copies were made to show they were obvious not real(such as indicating they were counterfeit) and maybe other things, then they might not be considered counterfeit and still appear, in a moment of thievery, criminals(especially those not familiar with American money), might actually think they had it made.

If they were too stupid to look at the money somewhat carefully(something I could imagine criminals not doing), then they might well suffer the consequences.

At what point does a facsimile become an illegal copy? For that matter, at what point does a facsimile become nothing more than good looking play money?
We be talking some pretty dumass criminals...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-844282495.png
Views:	161
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	34820  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 22:09   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Yes, except you could be busted for counterfeiting, too.

Now I try to imagine the sceanario...Theif in foreign country watches me leave my boat at night. Rows to my boat, ransacks my interior until he opens my coffee can and finds $2000 in $100 bills (Copied of course). Goes to the bank to exchange and gets busted with bad money. Now...what is likely to happen?...He tries to say 1) He found it. 2) Some pale face gave it to him for labor or some other lame excuse. 3) Some store gave it to him as change or 4) I was robbing a pale face and it was in a coffee can in his boat...hmmm...lets see...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 02:33   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Now I try to imagine the sceanario...Theif in foreign country watches me leave my boat at night. Rows to my boat, ransacks my interior until he opens my coffee can and finds $2000 in $100 bills (Copied of course). Goes to the bank to exchange and gets busted with bad money. Now...what is likely to happen?...He tries to say 1) He found it. 2) Some pale face gave it to him for labor or some other lame excuse. 3) Some store gave it to him as change or 4) I was robbing a pale face and it was in a coffee can in his boat...hmmm...lets see...
Probably work well.........if the local currency was shiny beads

Anywhere else you go the locals probably (and criminals certainly) know full well what a USD bill looks and feels like - indeed, in places, they are even fussy about which genuine ones they accept

I really don't think that the slim chances of this "strategy" working is worth the risk of officialdom thinking you are a fraudster / counterfiiter........come to rob his countrymen .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 05:57   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Oh well...I tried...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 06:01   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh well...I tried...
Tried to cruise with money? That's the way it read if you just look at the title and post

Guess it would be interesting to read a story wen someone tried to cruise with money, but it didn't work out so they tried again winthout money.

Or are you talking about a past post?
Old 17-12-2011, 06:10   #52

ATM....ever tried to use one where only the local language is on them. Tried in Brazil, wow Portuguese is not intuitive, had to cancel.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 08:22   #53

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

So, if we all carry cash on the boat, what caliber speargun would be best to protect it?
Old 18-12-2011, 14:09   #54

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
So, if we all carry cash on the boat, what caliber speargun would be best to protect it?
A tazzer and call it faulty wiring.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:09   #55

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I live in the Philippines. My bank is BOA, account is in US. I use the ATM card here occasionally. It's $15 per transaction plus conversion rate fee. I deposit a check to the local bank , takes 25 days to clear. Costs about $5 plus conversion rate fee. Buying stuff here in the stores with the card is the normal merchant fee( 1/2 % or some such ). I can't imagine traveling through micro/polynesia with 1800 different municipalities and the charges you would incur. I think cash is the only option if traveling a lot. Unless you don't care about the charges. Sorry, I can't help it, I do... call me cheap.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, money