Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2022, 15:27   #1

Deposing of an old sailboat in Mexico or whereever?

I want to get back into sailing. I had a boat on Narraganset Bay but moved to Rochester N Y. I am still working at 73. I will retire soon. I was hoping to buy a 27 Bristol last year but it was over 50 years old and I could not get insurance. If You buy an old sailboat and you can not insure it you can not just sink it and walk away you have to pay a lot of money to have it deposed of. Into 4 or 5 thousand dollars. My question can I give a boat away in Mexico or Central America where the insurance or the local laws might not be so strike. Le me know. John
115jcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 15:41   #2

Re: Deposing of an old sailboat in Mexico or whereever?

Shipping it to Central America will likely cost $10-15k.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 15:55   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115jcurtis View Post
I want to get back into sailing. I had a boat on Narraganset Bay but moved to Rochester N Y. I am still working at 73. I will retire soon. I was hoping to buy a 27 Bristol last year but it was over 50 years old and I could not get insurance. If You buy an old sailboat and you can not insure it you can not just sink it and walk away you have to pay a lot of money to have it deposed of. Into 4 or 5 thousand dollars. My question can I give a boat away in Mexico or Central America where the insurance or the local laws might not be so strike. Le me know. John

Let me see if I understand: you are going to buy a sailboat, sail it to Mexico or Central America, and give it away when you no longer need it?
If that is the case, I am sure anybody will buy it for little to jo money. Or you can file down any hull numbers and donate it for spares or whatever they want to do with it.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 16:49   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

Check with your town's waste disposal office. Many have 1 day a month or a quarter when they will accept almost anything. I got rid of a Soverel 33 in Oyster Bay, NY that way. I only had to pay a guy with a trailer to haul it to the dump location and they crushed it up. Someone there salvaged the lead keel I imagine.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 17:09   #5

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Progressive will probably insure it. They insured our boat and it is 42 years old.

If you buy an old boat when you are done with it just donate it to Boat Angel or similar charity. That's if you can't just sell it, or don't want to.

You can do this.

Old 24-08-2022, 10:41   #6

ER you couldnt get insurance.. it sounds like youre trying to get more than liability? On a tiny ancient boat youre going to give away?

You're 73 man. Retire. I was going through the motions.. waiting til 67 so i could leave my niece and nephew money and.. i dont know. Did the math and it's stupid for me to wait past 62. I can make up the money difference of 5 years of grinding by working a couple days a week at macdonalds. Youve realistically got 7 years before youre gone.. or if not can barely manage to walk to the kitchen. Retire and do it.
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Mexico, sail, sailboat