Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53   #1

Endeavour 37.5 . . . What's it Worth ?

Endeavour 37.5 sailboat - eBay (item 170694030125 end time Sep-15-11 14:37:28 PDT)

Tayana 42 Offshore Sailboat, Cruise Ready, Beautiful Interior - eBay (item 330611552476 end time Sep-14-11 17:32:50 PDT)

And dito this Tayana 42:

What I'm trying to find here, is a rock bottom price in this market. I know that's a tall question but I have to start somewhere. I've got money for a boat, cash. That said, I want to buy at a level so's that in the event I want to sell, I'm able to do so close to my purchase price, rather than take a bath financially speaking. The Tayana's reserve is 75k but it won't make that in the auction so, what is a firesale price for this boat?

And, how good a bluewater cruiser/live aboard (two people) would the Endeavour make? This person is highly motivated to sell.

Comments appreciated.
rynegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Endeavour 37.5 .... what's it worth?

My dear but departed friend Henry Mustin, who literally wrote the book on surveying fiber glass boats, sailed an Endeavor for years and swore by the standard of construction.

While the owner of this boat probably has over $30,000 in the boat I would not pay that, you just need to negotiate.

Properly equipped I would be happy to sail the Endeavor anywhere in the world, excepting the Southern Ocean, as I am doing in a Tayana.

Amazon.com: Surveying Fiberglass Sailboats: A Step-by-Step Guide for Buyers and Owners (9780070442481): Henry Mustin: Books

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:14   #3

Boat: Seidelmann, S37' 1985
Send a message via Skype™ to dockbumdan

depends, How much you got!
dan.sloopjb@gmail.com
If you never ran aground, Your Not Sailing!
dockbumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57   #4

Now there's something I can use... that book I mean. So, Moondancer, what IS a good deal on the Endeavor? 25K? or less? The guy refitted it with maple interior, and a ton of upgrades. He's got 45k in it. He's asking 30k, he needs to sell now....
rynegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Endeavour 37.5 .... what's it worth?

Whatever your prepared to pay...
One's a dreamer.. the other a realist...
only question is which is which...
is it the buyer or the seller...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynegold View Post
The guy refitted it with maple interior, and a ton of upgrades. ....
One question to ask yourself when you view, is that new interior plywood based or did it come from a home depot. It looks very nice and there is a serious amount of work involved in fitting that to a boat when every surface is curved, but is it ply or chipboard based? hopefully the comment "it has been fitted out to tedious standards" will mean a quality fit out.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05   #7

Boat: Endeavour 43

Having done a total restoration on a 43 Endeavour, you have one question to answer for yourself....what is my time worth. Do you want to spend the next several years doing what this guy did, or do you just want to start the cruising lifestyle.
After looking at the list of what he has done to the boat, he hasn't put a dime in for his time. This is a great sailing boat and a great liveaboard for two. With his installation of brass portlights, this boat will take you anywhere. (those cost several hundred dollars each...count them up. Then it would cost you several hundred each to have them installed professionally, not counting the cosmetic work to finish the job). If you are ready to take the boat and get out there and start sailing, this boat is a steal. If not, I think you will have to wait for a long time before another deal like this crosses your path. One in our yard just sold this month for $23,000 and it needed everything done that this owner just spent years doing.
There comes a time when you need to learn to slap some money into somebody's hand and tie up the boat subject to survey before someone else who knows a value when they see one, beats you to the punch. You will be left with your hat in your hand thinking why did I listen to those opinions when my gut feeling was right.
My opinion for what it is worth.
Good luck buying a boat
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:13   #8

If the work done on the endeavor is good, I say it's worth the $30k. You might get a boat that needs all that work for $25k in this market. .... I always liked those boats. Seemed to be well built for a production boat, skeg supported rudder, but balanced etc. The possibilities for a real big dodger around that coaming are cool!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:35   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

There is no rock bottom. All depends on what the boat's condition is, how very desperate the seller is and how desperate the buyer is.

But, IMHO, thinking about the re-sale value up first is a poor advisor in choosing a 'bluewater cruiser' or a 'liveaboard'.

Off course, knowing the range and how our pick compares is a very good way to avoid buying something at twice the market value (no fun scenario, but seen all too often with first time buyers).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 13:29   #10

Boat: Watkins 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
One question to ask yourself when you view, is that new interior plywood based or did it come from a home depot. It looks very nice and there is a serious amount of work involved in fitting that to a boat when every surface is curved, but is it ply or chipboard based? hopefully the comment "it has been fitted out to tedious standards" will mean a quality fit out.

Pete
I'm betting Home Depot.... You should view this refit fit with a very critical eye. The new maple interior does not match the existing teak and it looks amateurish and unfinished in some area's.
Old 11-09-2011, 13:42   #11

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynegold View Post
Endeavour 37.5 sailboat - eBay (item 170694030125 end time Sep-15-11 14:37:28 PDT)

Tayana 42 Offshore Sailboat, Cruise Ready, Beautiful Interior - eBay (item 330611552476 end time Sep-14-11 17:32:50 PDT)

And dito this Tayana 42:

What I'm trying to find here, is a rock bottom price in this market. I know that's a tall question but I have to start somewhere. I've got money for a boat, cash. That said, I want to buy at a level so's that in the event I want to sell, I'm able to do so close to my purchase price, rather than take a bath financially speaking. The Tayana's reserve is 75k but it won't make that in the auction so, what is a firesale price for this boat?

And, how good a bluewater cruiser/live aboard (two people) would the Endeavour make? This person is highly motivated to sell.

Comments appreciated.

I just want to know what kind of boarding ladder that is on the Tayana. I have the mounts for that same ladder, but can't find the ladder anywhere

But to give my 2cents... The Tayana will hold its value much better than the Endeavour. I didn't look at the links... Tayana is a big enough name, that price is usually not the deciding factor when someone is shopping for a Tayana. Endeavours, OTOH, are usually the compromise boat people get because they can't afford a Tayana Nice boats though, both would be good.

The other thing is, when buying, even under market price, you're still going to be dumping money into it, so you'll NEVER get what you 'paid for it' back when you sell. It's too hard to tell what the boat market will do in the future to know what kind of resale you'll get out of it. So something with a big name and big following, like the Tayana, will always out sell the lesser known/quality boats even in a downturned market. The Tayana is a high quality, high class boat, the Endeavour is just a good old boat....
Old 11-09-2011, 14:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I too have watching eBay looking for a good deal. This boat looked interesting, but I stopped short of flying up to take a look because of my concern about workmanship. The boat looks like either a DIY project, or low-bid. Zoom into the photo of the counter top and look at the fit if the mitre cut. Also the trim in the vee berth looks off. But I maybe overly critical, hence the need for a look. If the fit and finish of the woodwork is off, the other work would also be suspect. If you are close to the boat, it might be worth a drive.

Either way, get a survey.

My favorite line in used boat ads is "only x hours on rebuilt engine." I looked at one boat to hear the owner rebuilt it... So he rebuilt it as a DIY, now he is selling the boat and he wants me to risk my neck on his work....... NOT!!! This boat appears to fit that model.

Like I said, if you go forward the survey would be a good investment.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour