Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2022, 14:02   #1

Expat Tax Strategies

I used to run a tax firm, retired for the sailing life. I've been shocked to see how many people don't take advantage of the Expat tax incentives alleviating over $112,000 of income with a allotments for housing etc.

People can find more information for free on the IRS site, or post something here, I love helping people, now I get to do it for fun

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...come-exclusion

Does anyone else use the exclusion? Why or why not?
ColinJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 00:04   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Expat Tax Strategies

Here's my ex-pat tax strategy:

Get residency/citizenship in a nice small non-3rd world country (I did in NZ) then give up your US citizenship. Tax problems are permanently finished.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 02:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ColinJess.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 14:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Here's my ex-pat tax strategy:

Get residency/citizenship in a nice small non-3rd world country (I did in NZ) then give up your US citizenship. Tax problems are permanently finished.
If you have no ties to the U.S. that's a sound strategy. If you have a lifetime worth of family and friends still in the U.S. and think there’s a chance you may need to unexpectedly stay in the U.S. for more than 6 months to help them out at some point during the rest of your life, it's not really a viable option.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 14:48   #5

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
If you have no ties to the U.S. that's a sound strategy. If you have a lifetime worth of family and friends still in the U.S. and think there’s a chance you may need to unexpectedly stay in the U.S. for more than 6 months to help them out at some point during the rest of your life, it's not really a viable option.
Not to mention if you have unrealized capital gains. Those are considered sold when you give up your citizenship and taxed as you go out the door.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 14:26   #6

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Re renouncing US citizenship: I didn't have any ties to the USA after 35 years away cruising, parents dead, only a sister there, and I would never go back to that failed state.

Yes, I did have to list all my assets (there weren't many left in the USA by then), the USA pretended I died on the day I took the oath of renunciation, and calculate the 20% capital gains tax due. It was below the rather generous (for "normal" people, not the filthy rich) exemption (around US$800,000) so I didn't owe them anything.
This is not an option for most people, I got NZ residency/citizenship way back in 1999 before the barn door got shut. It worked for me, just saying....
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote