Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:55   #16

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Capcook,
The Pt Townsend area takes about four hrs to get to Seattle

Thanks Randy... Wow it doesn't look that far but I guess it is a long way down and back up eh...

As for San Diego Bay, there was a thread here awhile back that talked about the bay often getting pretty rough... at least that was my memory of it... perhaps it is relative and not a big deal for a larger boat...

Thanks..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 00:01   #17

Boat: 42' Cruising Cat, designed by Bernd Kohler
Something like this?

You should not limit your search to the West Coast. Take a look below. Pictures were taken August 2009 from my deck. This is the well protected cove behind my house in Nova Scotia.

zumsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 18:49   #18

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumsel View Post
You should not limit your search to the West Coast. Take a look below. Pictures were taken August 2009 from my deck. This is the well protected cove behind my house in Nova Scotia.

Yes, something exactly like that.... you have a beautiful place there and the only thing missing is that dream boat sitting your "your" cover... do you have direct access to the oceans from there e.g. could you get a sail boat out your passes ?

Don't you get a lot of that white stuff in Nova Scotia... some is OK.. but I have dealt with all the snow I care to deal with....

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 19:31   #19

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
So of Pt. Conception

Hi Cap. Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard is probably the most affordable and easy to get a slip in of any marina in SoCal. Here's a standard suburban house w/pool within 5 miles of the marina for 300k. http://media.propertyindex.com/image...02092009165024

A house on a canal with boat dock would run 900k - 1.3mil on up to a few mil more. Oxnard Boat Dock Home in the Channel Island Harbor, Ventura County, California - Oxnard - Houses - Apartments for Sale - Channel Islands - homes with boat docks in california And with the glut of inventory many can be had much cheaper than the ask.

The Channel Islands are a daysail to the west and are the best crusing grounds around. Bob Hope Interntnl is 1.5 hrs east and LAX is 2 hrs SE at the most.

Wash/Oregon are lovely but quite cold and the seas are as big and bad as anywhere. SoCal/Mexico on down to Costa Rica are sweeter sailing and cheaper housing the farther south you go. Just my notions. Good luck.
Old 13-09-2009, 20:51   #20

Boat: Schock 35
I personally love Puget Sound and the Straits of Georgia (Canada). While property in the northern sections will be very expensive I think you could find something south of Seattle. Most people that have their boats attached to mooring buoys in the summer will move their boats to a marina (or a trailer is small enough) for the winter. Not because it is too cold to sail--we sail yearround here--but because of severe winter windstorms. By convention we are not allowed to call our 100mph. storms hurricanes, but your boat in front of the cabin will not know the difference.

My suggestion is you come up for a visit and drive around the area and see what you like. It is not as cold here in the winter as it gets in Atlanta, but we have lots more overcast and fog. Most of us get used to it, but some never do. Come in January for the worst weather and end of July for the best.

Gig Harbor Waterfront; Search the MLS
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:00   #21

Boat: 42' Cruising Cat, designed by Bernd Kohler
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Yes, something exactly like that.... you have a beautiful place there and the only thing missing is that dream boat sitting your "your" cover... do you have direct access to the oceans from there e.g. could you get a sail boat out your passes ?

Don't you get a lot of that white stuff in Nova Scotia... some is OK.. but I have dealt with all the snow I care to deal with....

Cheers
Yes, I have direct access to the Atlantic. What you see in the background is actually an island which is protecting the cove. Furthermore my property is located on the smallest part off an inlet. So I have on the other side exactly the same view. The Bluenose has no problems to come our place, so I don't expect problems for my own boat.

Snow?! Yes we get some. But is is not so bad. To windy And my plans for the future are to stay further south during Canadian Winters.

Cheers
zumsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 12:56   #22

mainland side, 1.5 hours from Sea-Tac Airport.

You can get a view and 1 minute from the water on Samish Island or somewhere like that. or you might get a beach cabin. (you can drive onto samish island) 4963 G Loop Rd, Bow, WA, 98232 - MLS ID#29068954 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
4992 Samish Terrace Rd, Bow, WA, 98232 - MLS ID#29115265 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
It's an exciting area to boat for 6 months out of the year. (BC and Puget Sound) You could never wear out new places to cruise in a life time. You can get a very nice house with view NOT on the water and only be minutes from the marina...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 13:40   #23

Housing may continue to get cheaper in Washington as it looks like Boeing is in the process of building a final assembly line for the first time outside of the Seattle area in South Carolina. Boeing headquarters was moved to Chicago a few years ago and NOAA just announced that they are moving to Oregon after being headquartered in WA for over a hundred years. Eddie Bauer, Washington Mutual Bank and Safeco Insurance all bit the dust in the past year.

Tides routinely swing more than 10 feet daily with 2 highs and 2 lows. Salt water docks tend to be substantial structures here, but good luck living long enough to get a permit. Killer whales, oops, I mean Orcas have been placed on the Endangered Species List and boaters are bracing for more rules and a much enlarged government jobs base.

That being said, I never, never get tired of sailing on Puget Sound with its varied shorelines, beaches snow-capped volcanoes and mountains so numerous that I still can't name them all. Frankly it feels strange to leave the sight of land and loose the abilith to navigate by mountain.

If you want to browse home listings in Washington State, the Northwest Multiple Listing Service is probably the most comprehensive:

Welcome to Northwest Real Estate

Good luck with your search

Jud
Ballard (NW Seattle)native/escapee
Per Sloop Tavern T-shirt:
Ballard, a quaint little fishing village...
with a condo problem.
SeattleBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 19:44   #24

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Give Matt a call at Mutihulls NW... He lives on Bainbridge Island, is very informed on where and how to find a place for a cat to stay in the NW. As well as being a very nice guy.....:-)

Multihulls Northwest - Seattle, Washington

We relocated to San Carlos Sonora Mexico. 5 hour drive from the border, 90 min. from Hermissillo int. airport. Very user friendly. A shot of cruising grounds....next, This is the boat out in front of the house. Good spot 9 months a year! 11 minutes from starting at the beach, I am sailing off the bouy.....last shot is the main marina and mtns of San Carlos.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honeymooncove.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	9939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2282.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	9940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2287.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	9941   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Carlos.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	9942  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 21:27   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
capcook,

We bought our 43 foot catamaran while living in Richland, WA, about 4 hours from Elliott Bay Marina where we kept the boat for two years before starting our long cruise to the Caribbean. That was a long drive but I still managed to be on the boat 2-3 weekends a month and sail at least once a month, frequently much more than that. We truly enjoyed sailing on Puget Sound most of that time. Summer winds were frequently very light and winters were not at all comfortable with nearly constant rain and fog but steadier winds. At no time was the water warm enough to swim in for more than a few minutes - which was why we set sail for the Caribbean. Along the way we found places we really liked (Hautulco region in Mexico, for example). Once we reached the Caribbean, we had to deal with persistant strong trade winds and the high seas states that they produced.

The point of this somewhat disorganized train of thought is that no matter where you go you will find aspects you like it and those you don't like. You and your Admiral need to decide what you want to do: sail or swim; sail or live ashore; sail or shovel snow; sail or ski; sail or ........ Then you need to find the place where you can do partake of those activities most conveniently.

FWIW, catamarans become less common the farther north you go up the Pacific Coast.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:16   #26

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You mentioned Oregon but are only talking about Seattle and north. You might be able to find something along the river from Portland to Astoria at reasonable prices. However, there is not a lot of sailing opportunities like there are up on the northwest of Washington State.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:38   #27

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

Here are two I found with a quick search in Bremerton. An hour ferry ride to Seattle (when they're running - a whole other story) and can probably moor out in front of the house.

good luck,
craig

Bremerton WA Real Estate for Sale | Windermere Real Estate

Bremerton WA Real Estate for Sale | Windermere Real Estate

ps I'm not a real estate agent
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08   #28

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
I live in Portland, Oregon. I love the city itself, but if a person is looking for cruising right outside the door, I don't think you will find it here. Personally, I would not want to keep a big sailboat boat here in Portland. There are many floating homes on both the Willamette and Columbia Rivers.

Some people living in Portland keep their boats up on Puget Sound, such as Port Townsend. Also, I know people who cruise from Portland to Puget Sound and northward over the summer, and some off-shore racers do keep their boats in Portland.

It is likely a shorter drive from Portland to Port Townsend, or other locations on the Olympic Peninsula. So you might find a waterfront property more affordable here, but it is not the water you would want for a large catamaran!

I am sure that Seattle has many more flights to Japan than Portland does. Portland is far enough inland that fog is rare. But we do have a ten month long rainy season, during which the sky is overcast much of the time.

I do not own a car, so I know next to nothing about suburbs or further out.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 14:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetluvver View Post
So you might find a waterfront property more affordable here, but it is not the water you would want for a large catamaran!
Just yesterday I was watching a history channel special about the Coast Guard. It included a segment on the rescue boat training facility the CG has at Cape Disappointment (near the mouth of the Columbia).

It was something watching the 47' rescue boat roll in the waves and right itself. The waters look like they can get quite inhospitable in that area in the right conditions.
radvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 14:40   #30

Boat: Cascade
Are you only thinking the States. You come up to us in Vancouver, BC and get a 1 bedroom condo for 400,000. Although It wouldn't be on the water....

Seriously though the Puget Sound area and the Straight of Georgia ar fantastic places to sail, up the Sunshine coast to Desolation sound is simply amazing! Lots of flights to Japan from SeaTac.... and if you like sailing sall summer and skiing all winter, its hard to beat the Pacific North West!
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, Washington