Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 06:55   #1

First boat

Hi everybody! I'm new to the whole boat life, but am very much looking forward to exploring the world at sea!
I have been looking a a few boats so far, but what I need now, is to know the procedure of the buy.

When I have bought the boat, how do I change owner ship, where do I check is the boat is owned by the seller, and what precautions should I make before sailing, so that the coast guard doesn't have anything to tag me on?

Hope you can help!
LasseHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:00   #2

Re: First boat

A couple questions that will help us answer yours. Where are you located?
What type of boat are you interested in?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:09   #3

I'm in Florida, planning to sail the Caribbean, looking at sailboats around 34 feet.
Old 27-01-2017, 07:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Assuming more than an inexpensive trailer sailor or dinghy, these types of questions are what in my opinion a Buyers broker is for, not to be unkind, but to some extent you don't yet even know the questions to ask, and a good Broker knows the answers.
However for an inexpensive purchase, its not enough money for them to become involved
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:21   #5

That's fair, the once I'm in contact with now, is not listed with brokers, so doubt they will lend a big hand..
Boat is around 10.000 dollar, for you that might be considered a small amount..
just trying to make sure I don't run in to any more problems than I have to..
Old 27-01-2017, 07:54   #6

I might tend to do a pre-survey myself on a 10000 dollar boat. Like take a screw driver to the deck for soft spots. Look for metal in the oil. How does the standing rigging look. What documents do they have for repairs and upgrades. I wouldn't get a broker or surveyor involved until I was ready to pull the trigger.
Old 27-01-2017, 10:13   #7

Sound good! Will ask for documentation of previous repairs, he claims a lot has been done so should be in good condition
I'm thinking of swimming under it to look for blisters, dents and paint quality.
All should have been done within the last year.

Who do I contact regarding the deed of the boat, and changing it to my name?
(I'm not from USA, and I've tried to search for boat papers and such)
Old 27-01-2017, 10:56   #8

In Florida it's just a title (what you know as deed) that title get switched to your name. But it would get switched to where you reside. So really you need to check with your locale.
Old 27-01-2017, 13:06   #9

Alright, we'll talk to the local office !

Really appreciate the help!
Old 27-01-2017, 18:11   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseHammer View Post
Alright, we'll talk to the local office !

Really appreciate the help!
Lasse Hammer?
Sounds like you are Norwegian?
There are a few of us here, minoritets now for sure, but this board was started by a Norwegian, then the Yanks took over, the rest is history.
Old 27-01-2017, 19:42   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

You might also want to get a signed bill of sale for the title transfer. The owner should also have possession of the title that he will sign over to you when you give him the money. If he doesn't have the title, this can get more complicated. You might also want to call the DMV office in Florida and ask them what you need, just to be sure. Someone should walk you through it. Ten grand is a lot of money in my book....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 20:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Lasse Hammer?
Sounds like you are Norwegian?
There are a few of us here, minoritets now for sure, but this board was started by a Norwegian, then the Yanks took over, the rest is history.
Hi Almost right, I'm from Denmark, but interesting to hear this has been started by nordic cousins

- Will see if i can get someone from the local office to talk me through the process so i dont miss out on anything
Old 28-01-2017, 20:53   #13

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

When we bought our boat, we had to get it documented, titled. That was expensive, I think $1200. If you are paying cash, that may not matter to you but the Coast Guard documentation might. The thing about documentation is that at least we know no one else has any claim or rights to the boat; hard to say with a private deal if the guy selling it is the exclusive owner, but if the state has some kind of title, like a car, that may simplify it. You would also want to check on the sales tax laws, it would be no fun to find out later that you owed a nice pile of money for sales tax that you weren't aware of, and I know of at least three people who have had that happen to.

Then the process of having the boat hauled for survey, doing a sea trial, etc. All that is up to you how to handle. You mentioned the blister check in the water. I don't know how much you'll find out like that but it's better than not seeing the bottom at all. I would be MUCH more concerned with overall structural integrity and other mechanical issues than blisters on an old $10,000 boat. Actually, cosmetic stuff wouldn't mean much at all to me. I would worry about damage, and things that are screwed up and done wrong and missing and broken. The mast, rigging, rudder, engine, sails, etc.

anyway, best of luck, and hope you find something fun that you won't regret. Stuff's gonna break and annoy, but just to be out there even with the issues is worth the hassles
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 17:28   #14

Okay, will check up with the seller what kind of papers he has, and where he bought it, then see if i can find any papers in Florida, or where he bought it, plus the tax. A lot to think about, but better do it now, than when the coast guard closes in.

Thank you!

Tags
boat