Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2008, 15:55   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Newt, I agree - it's always better to waste time talking fishing and sailing rather then working. Here are pictures of the lures I just bought. I'm still wondering about line test. My reels can take upto 25lb test. Is that enough?
Hud, you don't suggest using the trolling weights, rather just let the lure skip on top. Do you get much line twist? We had our line completely kink up on us last year when one lure just twisted up in the wake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lure1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	6282   Click image for larger version

Name:	gatlin-jet.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	6283  

Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 17:01   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Never had any problem with kinking, but I'm using 90 lb test, which is fairly stiff, and the leader is attached to a big swivel.

That photo of the green and yellow lure looks a lot like the cedar plug that caught about 50% of the mahi-mahi that we brought aboard. Mine had a bit of red on the belly. It had quite a few teeth marks in it before it finally bit the dust. The skirted ones like your photo on the right are the ones that the bonito like.

Skipping the lure on the surface can attract some attention from the birds, though. I had a flock of brown boobies following me once. One of them got his ankle caught in the crook of the hook, I assume, because he got himself free as I was reeling the line in.

You know, I've never tried bonito. I just believed a fisherman friend who said it was very "fishy" tasting, and that dark purple flesh reinforced his comment in my mind.
Old 16-12-2008, 17:10   #33

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Most of the dolphins I've caught have been on cedar plugs. I use 60 to 90 pound test line. A nice green and yellow cedar plug will do it. I used to have those fancy rubber lures but a cedar plug beats them all.
Old 16-12-2008, 17:54   #34
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
You know, I've never tried bonito. I just believed a fisherman friend who said it was very "fishy" tasting, and that dark purple flesh reinforced his comment in my mind.
All but for one time, the only way I've ever had bonito is in fish flakes. Shaved bits of dried bonito. It is used as a garnish in several types of Japanese cooking and is also often used as an intermediate way to make fish stock. Dashi no moto is instant fish stock (like fish bullion). True homemade fish stock is done with fish bones and a variety of herbs/spices. The intermediate way is to boil bonito flakes and strain to get the basis for the stock. This is normally how I make miso soup. They sell it in bags from small to very large family-size-potato-chip sizes.

The upshot of this is, I'm sure there's people that eat it, but, the Japanese, who are artists when it comes to using fish, normally use bonito processed. To a lesser extent, this is also the case with white fish.

I actually had bonito sushi once. It was even more fishy tasting than mackerel. Don't have to have it again. But I'd try it cooked. I'll always give something a chance.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 04:03   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlearl View Post
Coke bottles and rolling pins?? What kind of sailor would pass up another use for rum bottles? Gotta have some of them around!

Actually, this sounds like a neat trick. I'll have to try it soon.

Ok, I might have over looked the fact there might be a small empty bottle of rum on board......lmao.

Hud,

Your recipie sounds wonderful, I was getting hungry as I read it.

Todd
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 06:05   #36

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
fish jerky

Hi from the S. Hemisphere,
Does anyone have a recipe for making fish jerky (drying fish ) and which varieties of fish are best for this purpose, red or white meat? Would appreciate any input as I tasted great fish jerky whilst cruising the Caribbean but have lost touch with fellow cruiser/fanatic fisherman.
Regards,
Clyde
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 07:35   #37

Boat: Lagoon 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
Ok, I might have over looked the fact there might be a small empty bottle of rum on board......lmao.

Hud,

Your recipie sounds wonderful, I was getting hungry as I read it.

Todd
speaking of rum, we keep some cheap liquor just for the trick of pouring liquor over the gills to make the fish go comatose
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 16:12   #38

MahiMahi (Dolphin Fish)

These are prehaps one of the tastiest fish in the sea. Trolling is a great way to catch them, however another alternative is catching them on fly, if you ever come across some sort of floating object there is normally a good chance there going to be Dolphins there. Catching them on fly with poppers is some of the best fishing that i have ever done. Understandable this can be hard when under sail.
jayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 19:31   #39

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I was happy to see most of the lures recommended were of the single hook variety. I think using treble hooks or mutiple hooks on lures is pretty dangerous when you bring a thrashing fish on board. Any hooks not in the fish are liable to wind up in you!
I believe spoon type lures are the most prone to tangle lines, there is a trolling sinker made which has a keel moded in, it helps reduce line kinking. Have a good sharp gaff close at hand so when you get the fish up close to the boat you don't lose him at the last minute.
Good Luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 20:31   #40

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I have two rod holders, and both lines are in the water most of the time.
The New Jersey Coast has good fishing.

You might tire of eating bluefish...before hooking a swordfish. You'll want to put a wire leader on. You might also want to send one line to depth with weight and troll another just below the surface... Striped Bass, Bluefish, Weakfish, are likely catches. Know the seasons and the size limits on Stripers. I toss the Blues back...But the Bass will make a tasty treat. This year Fishermen had trouble keeping blues off their lines while trying to get their lures down deeper to the stripers

You can troll with Bucktails and pork-rind...or shiny spoons.....Don't worry about speed....you can catch fish at 6 knots....

If motoring, put the engine in neutral right away, unless you want to dive under and unwrap your prop. I usually turn the boat broadside to the fish and walk the pole to the beam, and bring the fish over the side. Have a net handy!

If sailing, I'll stall the boat by heaving-to and then walk the pole to the beam.
Keep your hands away from a bluefish mouth, a pair of needlenose pliers works best for me.

Good Fishing!

Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing