Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2022, 05:25   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460 - Hull # 2
Florida recommendations for a solar arch?

Hey there folks... We are looking to add a solar arch to our 46' catamaran and would like recommendations in Florida (East Coast). Any good or bad experiences out there with something like this..?

Thanks..!
H0BBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 10:58   #2

Re: Florida recommendations for a solar arch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0BBES View Post
Hey there folks... We are looking to add a solar arch to our 46' catamaran and would like recommendations in Florida (East Coast). Any good or bad experiences out there with something like this..?

Thanks..!
I'm fairly sure you need to get a custom quote. Price range for quality seems to be about 5k.. which is ridiculous but you own a boat so
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 12:57   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
I'm fairly sure you need to get a custom quote. Price range for quality seems to be about 5k.. which is ridiculous but you own a boat so

I think you’re low (for fully custom) because good labor costs a lot.

But I’ve seen several and installed two of these

https://www.atlantictowers.com/products_sail_arch.php

They’re quite good for what they are. Trim to fit and look nice.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 16:15   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

If all you are doing is holding up solar panels, aluminum kit arches are a reasonable solution. But if you are doing more, including davits, or a radar mount, or antenna mounts, or other custom modifications, the kits start to lose their appeal.

My arch is made by Klacko. I have done serious damage to mine and am looking at them to make a replacement, about 12 to 14,000. I know other people who have had them do a new arch long distance, and it works well.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 19:03   #5

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0BBES View Post

Thanks..!
I just had my solar arch made by Thomas Little Marine (Green Cove Springs marina just south of Jacksonville)
Highly recommended & experienced stainless steel fabricator & very busy
(386)559-8432
ThomasLittleMarine@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/100094531294435

Installing off-the-shelf arches will actually cost more because of the various adjustments that will inevitably have to be made & which are harder to do compared to starting from scratch; best to do this custom
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 19:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
I just had my solar arch made by Thomas Little Marine (Green Cove Springs marina just south of Jacksonville)
Highly recommended & experienced stainless steel fabricator
ThomasLittleMarine@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/100094531294435

Installing off-the-shelf arches will actually cost more because of the various adjustments that will inevitably have to be made & which are harder to do compared to starting from scratch; best to do this custom
The idea that an Atlantic Tower arch will cost more installed than a custom stainless steel one is just totally unrealistic. Just no way. You are talking total nonsense. I have installed Atlantic Tower Arches on several boats and NEVER had to spend a dime to "make adjustments."

There is a benefit to the aluminum arch, and it matters not if you go the custom route or the pre-fab one: Weight. You are putting a significant amount of metal on a part of the boat that is very weight sensitive. A quality stainless arch is going to SIGNIFICANTLY outweigh an aluminum one. Adding weight to the ow and stern of a boat is ALWAYS a bad things.

No question that a custom arch, if REALLY customized to be integrated with the rails and structure of your boat can be a very impressive piece of kit. But if you just want to hold up some solar panels, a pre-fab unit will do that as well at a tiny fraction of the cost.

I am one of those unreasonable old curmudgeons who think that dinghies do not ever bleong on davits for an offshore passage. Ever.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 19:29   #7

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Well I'll have to take your word on the Atlantic arches not needing any adjustments but it should be noted that if anyone thought finding a qualified, capable, experienced marine SS welder was hard try finding on that does aluminum welding well! The cost of adjustments needed god-forbid, just went up.

(Thomas Little Marine does both btw)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3053.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	265521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3054.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	265522  

Click image for larger version