Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 08:05   #166
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Frugal Cruising Idea Exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The initial draw was something like 10.5 amps whilst the slow cooker was on full heat warming up, so that will have included the inverter which by chance is quite well matched at 350w.

Agreed not something to use every day or life will be very boring having stew everyday. I am thinking more of curries etc, chuck it all in and let it simmer for 5 hours whilst away doing other stuff.

Age-old retained heat cooking is probably more practical. A couple of fleece blankets folded in quarters work well. Just boil it and it will continue to cook for up to 8 hours, depending on the insulation. I use it for rice, soup, and stews, both at home an cruising. The problem with slow cookers is that they are not well insulated and waste a lot of energy.

(see item 5)

Sail Delmarva: 100 Best Buys--Chapter 1
Old 21-05-2018, 16:30   #167
CLOD

Boat: none

Frugal = going out during happy hour
Old 21-05-2018, 18:32   #168
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

A bit off subject but, a college friend is finally getting married. The preferred hotel in a fairly rural area is $180 per night. I know several of us going single to wedding so I suggested a few of us share rooms. Keeping in mind a decent hotel could ve had for less than half anyway.

"People out age can afford $180" I was told. But that's like $360 for 2 nights not put towards the rest of my life!

Shared AirBnB accommodation looks like with will be about $25/ night plus get to meet some new people when not involved in wedding activities
Old 21-05-2018, 20:21   #169

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai Tira View Post
I realise my statement was a bit harsh. Good tools saves you lot of money and can earn you some.

In my opinion solar cookers can be made at no costs, bikes can be had for free. I've been offered 2 good folding bikes lately(which I refused). I've also gave a set of oarlock and got a navtex in return!
I go by the one year rule. If I dont use it it goes to another cruiser.

I'm curious about pumping your rainwater??? Can you explain?
after my decks have been washed off, the gunnels channel the rain water into a bucket where the heavier particles settle on the bottom (even after days of raining there are still dirt particles in the air) A float switch will trigger the pump which draws the water a couple of inches off the bottom through aquarium filter floss and then pumps it through a standard dual canister 10"Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180521_231235.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	170297 water filter.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 00:42   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A cruiser I know 12 mths ago installed a hardtop, this is on a hunter 49. He built decent gutters on the sides, hasn't used his watermaker in 12 mths. Also now has additional solar panels up there, very rarely dosent meet his electricity needs. Something I'm considering in the future, it's very functional, water, electricity and better weather protection when nice sides are rigged.
With a Spectra watermaker which can run off D/C and solar alone, why bother collecting rainwater since the cost to run the watermaker would be zero? Not sure what kind of watermaker your Hunter friend has, but wouldn’t this be a good example of how ultimately the Spectra units are the most frugal means of obtaining fresh water?

No labor intensive (calorie or fuel burning) trips to shore to fill jugs etc, no dependence on rain and no need to ration water. Ultimately, anyone with a Spectra unit and solar panels is sitting on top of an ocean of fresh purified water.

It seems to me that some folks looking to save or stretch a buck are often times so focused on not spending any money, that the obvious or best solution is overlooked. Sometimes one needs to spend a little in order to save a lot.

‘Just a thought.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 00:58   #171

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Sometimes it's a question of having the funds up front to buy expensive equipment such as a Spectra (which is surely a great piece of kit).

Rain gutters rairly fail and if so, are easily fixed.
Old 22-05-2018, 01:03   #172
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Sometimes it's a question of having the funds up front to buy expensive equipment such as a Spectra (which is surely a great piece of kit).

Rain gutters rairly fail and if so, are easily fixed.
Rain gutters frequently fail when it doesn’t rain.

Ultimately, our Spectra watermakers have been the cheapest and most useful equipment onboard, and have paid for themselves many times in several ways. Example: We never need to stay in a marina to take on water; we can remain in anchorages indefinitely.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 02:01   #173

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

I have used one of these for a few years at home. Plan to take it on the boat when we shove off for adventures. Its extremely well made, cooks our rice and stews to perfection and is a good size for my entire family.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-CC-45...thermal+cooker
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 03:48   #174

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...It seems to me that some folks looking to save or stretch a buck are often times so focused on not spending any money, that the obvious or best solution is overlooked. Sometimes one needs to spend a little in order to save a lot.
+1.

As I’ve said many times, frugality is not just about saving money. And sometimes the most frugal tool is the most expensive — at least up front.

But yes, sometimes those of us on the finically poorer side of life simply can’t afford the upfront cost. This is part of the way it is sometimes more expensive to be poor .
Old 22-05-2018, 04:50   #175
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The cost per gallon of watermaker water is still extremely high and hard to justify financially in almost all areas.

And of course if you row to shore, that's free gym membership right there.

I do have a Spectra HP pump and parts to build up a unit as on a smallish boat with a family of 4 it's a near necessity for ocean crossing.
Old 22-05-2018, 05:09   #176
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Still, it is amazing what stuff you can do without, especially when you don't have it.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 05:38   #177
CLOD

Boat: none

$14 for two collapsable water jugs. So far in 20 months of full time cruising I think I’m spent $15 on fillets no them.
Old 22-05-2018, 06:32   #178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
+1.

As I’ve said many times, frugality is not just about saving money. And sometimes the most frugal tool is the most expensive — at least up front.

But yes, sometimes those of us on the financially poorer side of life simply can’t afford the upfront cost. This is part of the way it is sometimes more expensive to be poor .

Or need to. We both sail in areas were the biggest problem with water is keeping the stuff out and the boat dry. South Coast of England still has free taps for public use which we have used occasionally. A WM just wouldn't be used enough in our existing or future sailing areas. However, in areas with poor water quality or availability then I can see the need.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 06:47   #179

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Still, it is amazing what stuff you can do without, especially when you don't have it.
Very true. When something is out of reach, it just doesn’t matter what might be. We all learn to manage without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The cost per gallon of watermaker water is still extremely high and hard to justify financially in almost all areas.

And of course if you row to shore, that's free gym membership right there.
I don’t have a watermaker, and have never had one. But it’s one of those things which seems attractive as a way to keep off the dock. For me, I’ve learned the best way to remain financially frugal is to stay away from docks, and urban areas in general. These are places where the money starts to flow.

When on board we tend to spend long periods away from any dock, or indeed any urban area (no gym memberships for us … no gyms ). The reasons we come in are to restock: fresh food, booze, diesel and water. A watermaker would remove one of those needs, but as you say, it’s pretty pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Or need to. We both sail in areas were the biggest problem with water is keeping the stuff out and the boat dry. South Coast of England still has free taps for public use which we have used occasionally. A WM just wouldn't be used enough in our existing or future sailing areas. However, in areas with poor water quality or availability then I can see the need.
Agreed. My 200 gallons (750 litres) goes a long way. We’ve never ran out of water, and we are usually off the dock for months at a time. We’ve never had to go in to a dock just to get water, but it is something we usually restock whenever we do hit a dock (usually for food/booze). I’ve never had to pay for water here in Canada.

We’re not miserly about our water use, but we are quite conscious and are certainly not wasteful. It’s just one of those things which I’m still pondering; would a watermaker increase our freedom? Maybe… but is it worth the cost? Not sure…
Old 22-05-2018, 07:00   #180
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

From the blogs I follow it really depends on your cruising grounds and what you want to do when it comes to a watermaker.

I follow Adventure Adrift and they got a watermaker in the Sea of Cortez and before they went out to Isla Socorro for a month where they were technically not even allowed to go ashore in that national park, where they were hundreds of miles from anywhere and a fair ways out into the Pacific. No place to get water, period. So if collection doesn't happen you are out.

We are going to go without until we find we really NEED it to continue on. Then we will either figure out how to do it frugally or change plans and go somewhere else. That's just the way of things.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising