Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 10:46   #211

Re: Frugal Cruising Idea Exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I can catch all the water landing on my deck. There is a thru hole on the low point and hose inside. I let it settle in containers then syphon to get what floats and sinks out, then filter it once through a cloth. I syphon with a small hose to control flow rate, and the cloth draped over a bucket. This is good water for washing clothes, and it's plenty of water. No hauling water needed.

I want to get a 10-20 gallon gallon sealable container. The idea is to plastic weld, or rivet and seal 4 helical fins a few inches wide to the outside. Inside will have straight fins to make baffles. From there, tow it behind the boat or put it in the water in a current at anchor, and let it spin, it needs a good bearing, not sure anchor swivel is ideal. Then it can be washing the clothes in fresh water inside. Will it work?

Could it be mounted on the deck with a windshield wiper motor geared to a belt to rotate it? Those motors draw less than 2 amps, so it's no problem to run it a few hours off solar. It may take 2-3 hours to wash since it's turning slowly, on sunny days doesn't matter.

It could also have a belt to a large 6ft diameter windmill with 6 or more blades to turn it possibly. Then there are ways to make it work with wave action either hanging in the rigging, in the water. even possible to anchor it in breakers
A black drum tied somewhere on deck/cockpit would be much easier and cheaper than building anything.
Hoisting it up the rigging or anchoring it are good ideas!
Fai Tira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:18   #212

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Frugal Cruising Idea Exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai Tira View Post
A black drum tied somewhere on deck/cockpit would be much easier and cheaper than building anything.
Hoisting it up the rigging or anchoring it are good ideas!
I once saw a big polyurethane black ball to show that a vessel is anchored, a requirement for 12m and above. And I thought that would make one of the best solar showers ever. Maybe 3 gallons. You just have to drill a hole for filling and 1 to attach the hose. No algae and tons of pressure. And no problem with funny dirt dwellers who think solar showers should not be used.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising