Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 02:17   #46

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Funding the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttamg View Post
Hi

One of the original questions on this forum was the cost of maintenance. I'm by no means an expert on this, but my understanding of the major maintenance costs you might have and can budget for over the longer term are for a 40-45ft quality yacht:

Haul-outs and antifouling (annual) = 2-4k
if annual more like 1k

Rigging (once every 10 years) = 10k
had mine done about 5k (standing) running do as and when needs.

Batteries (every 5-8 years) = 5k
way off the mark about 400ah will do fine 1k, and more like 2-5 years
if living aboard and using heavily.

Engine (10 year budget) = 10k
more like 20 years and about 12k will get you a 55hp
do your own servicing maybe 2-3 hundred per year

Electrics and upgrades of Nav (once every 10 years) = 10k
most will last far longer an if hands on 5k will do a not bad electronics set up

Sails (5-10 years but depending upon use and type of sails) = 10k
well as low as 4k and the skys the limit

Other consumables etc = 2-4k per year
probably more like 2k or less

It's not very scientific, but together this would get to around 10-15k mark a year... but clearly it is lumpy so you need funds in a rainy-day fund as all may come at once.

I think you are way on the high side of things, staying in a marina for a year will probably cost more than the annual running costs

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:50   #47

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuitp View Post
Please don't scare people by quoting costs that may be unrealistic.

Cost conscious sailor
It's got nothing to do with scaring people in my opinion, the poster is just giving his vision on what he thinks is realistic. You don't need to spend the same, it gives an indication of what things CAN cost if you make certain choices. If you want to be helpful, you just give YOUR assessment of what things cost and the TS can decide for themselves.

From my perspective, his costs are fairly in line with what I've experienced refitting my 30YO boat (which, BTW, had a refit 7 years ago). For electronics, I wanted to upgrade to a system where everything talks to each other, added radar and AIS. That meant I spent way more than $10k. So no, I don't think his assessment is unrealistic at all - at least for me and for the choices I make. Is it necessary? That is up to you to decide.

Everything in boating is about making choices between what you need, what you want, what you can spend and what you can't have (for instance, on my boat I can't place a furling gennaker and had to go with a snuffer).

What I will say is that I have spent much more than I anticipated refitting my (according to everyone who knew the boat) "perfect" boat. What I will also say is that it has been worth every penny. But hopefully spending will be a lot lower the next 6 - 7 years....

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06   #48

Boat: Gib sea 43

Yes you can spend as little or as much as you like, electronics? tridata,wind,gps,radar,vhf,ais you can do a pack for less than 5k no probs
5k for batteries?
4k for lift out/paint?

all way at the very far upper end of the spectrum!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 14:14   #49

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hisnt hard to do this,is only the fear of the unknown that scares most of ye off, i am thinking. life isnt that difficult out here in cruiseville. it really doesnt take too much dough to make go.
Congratulations on achieving the American dream.

I guess I better get back to work, or else my ex-wife will not be able to make her house payment, my children will not be able to attend their figure skating competions, my current wife will not be able to maintain her maritini and wine lifestyle, and most importantly Zeehag will no longer be able live a life of sailing and doing nada.

I guess I'd better tell my wife that she is going to have to give up her lifestyle, because I am under court order to pay the lifestyle expenses of my ex-wife, children, and Zeehag - it looks like the rest will have to go.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 15:09   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Congratulations on achieving the American dream.

I guess I better get back to work, or else my ex-wife will not be able to make her house payment, my children will not be able to attend their figure skating competions, my current wife will not be able to maintain her maritini and wine lifestyle, and most importantly Zeehag will no longer be able live a life of sailing and doing nada.

I guess I'd better tell my wife that she is going to have to give up her lifestyle, because I am under court order to pay the lifestyle expenses of my ex-wife, children, and Zeehag - it looks like the rest will have to go.
So, you having an ex-wife to pay for and a wife, kids and boat dreams you can't afford is someone else's fault? Perhaps it's time to be making better choices rather than blaming others?

Just an idea.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26   #51

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
So, you having an ex-wife to pay for and a wife, kids and boat dreams you can't afford is someone else's fault? Perhaps it's time to be making better choices rather than blaming others?

Just an idea.
The choice I made was to make a higher than normal income which is now declining. I don't remember making a choice to earn a declining income, nor a choice to make my ex-wife's house payment.

Also, I did not blame anyone for my choices, or for those situations, but only pointed out that I am under court order to support all those people in a way that I have no control over, so it is not a choice at all.

Nor did I make any choices about who should or should not be on a government paycheck, nor about how much of my paycheck should be taken to support them.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:16   #52

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
If you want to sit on the pitty pot, that's fine. Passing judgement on people who are disabled, whom you don't know, is lame. You are 100% resposible for your situation. I'm going to sit back and watch. Many people here like Zee, and I suspect you might be the target of considerable abuse shortly.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:55   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I see a huge difference in what costs are required to maintain a boat. Some people look at new equipment and services available among retail suppliers and boat yards; then, they make a selection and have it done. I almost never do such a thing! Actually, I more often feed from the scraps of those that spend the big money. I knew a guy who had his new radar installed with the yard putting a crimp in the condensation tube drain that ruined the unit. He upgraded to a larger Furuno, but urecieved the new replacement for the smaller unit. I bought the new Furuno and the stainless gimbled mount for $600..... Garmin Chartplotter, $400...... VHF $200..... Depthsounder $100 ...... huge cruising chute,- used, but like new, $700. I did repower for about 10K in 2001 after having my boat for 16 years. I have replaced my standing rigging three times since 1985 for about 3K each time. I did re-epoxy my entire hull-deck joint for about $200 & my own labor. So, I've done this and much more to my boat that I bought for 65K in 1985 (traded my old boat plus 30K). I've had this boat for 28 years and I'm comming up with a total of about three thousand a year for maintenane and equipment. Much of these costs are related to what work you do yourself and what you expect. Nancie and I have had more amenities for the last twenty years, but we cruised for the first twenty with no refrigeration and no depthsounder beyond a leadline. I like independance, my own work and no debt!

Tags
funding, paracelle