Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 00:34   #1

Future Boat Purchase?

Like all you seasoned vets out there, I want to be cruising too ! If a dummy like me was to be in the market to purchase a good cruising boat what would you recommend to someone spending less than 125k and having relatively minimal cruising liquidity ? The freshwater in Oklahoma just isn't doing it!
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 00:47   #2

Re: Future boat purchase ??????

The best boat you can buy is the one that fits the way you will use it.

Ocean passages?
Coastal cruising?
Weekend get away?
Day sailing?
Dock condo?
Bragging rights?
Other?

Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 00:51   #3

Touché! Since I haven't lived that life and I can only relate to my chartering experiences and local times, It would definitely be intended for cruising the Caribbean and would like to expect new experience abroad as well...
Old 24-10-2013, 01:17   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

agree with julie -- when people ask us about a boat the 1st question is always -- what are you going to do with it??

just our thoughts and opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 01:27   #5

Next set of questions:

New, old or something in between? Are you okay with a 30-year old boat (or older) or do you want something newer?

Are you mechanically inclined (good with tools)?

Do you see yourself happier cruising, working on the boat or both?

Do you want a slow and comfy boat, light and fast or a compromise?

Does the $125K include fixing it up and upgrading or do you have extra funds for that?

How long before that Caribbean and trans-Atlantic departure?

(Nosy, aren't I? )
Old 24-10-2013, 01:45   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

to expand on julie --
limited cruising liquidity? not sure what that means -

do you plan to sell you land based stuff and move on board or keep both?

what does your significant other think of this and what do they want?

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 23:35   #7

Well, I realize I will be anchored most of the time so I definitely want to be comfortable yet I don't want a complete turtle so I guess a compromise is what I would want.

I'm handy and what not but I don't want to buy something that needs a complete restore, I would think it would be in my best interest to buy as new as my budget would allow. right?

I guess my original question was more geared to new production boats or independent builders or just other general info like that... I'm only 27 but am setting myself up to be able to do this in the near future and want to be able to learn the market on the boats that will suffice...

I appreciate all the posts!
Old 26-10-2013, 04:17   #8

What I would do is go to Yachtworld.com, click on "Advanced Search" and then type in your parameters - length, year made, price, etc. You'll find plenty of production boats like Beneteau, Catalina, Jeanneau, Hunter. You'll also find Sabre, X-Yachts, Frers, but they will usually be a bit older. I just did a search for sailboats 35-38 feet, 70-125K, built 2000 or later, in the US and 235 listings came up. You can further refine that and keep the search close to home.

If you want to get some idea how fast the boat may be, you can check its PHRF rating. The link I provided is a base handicap rating but will give you an idea how fast or slow the boat may be. The lower the number, the faster it's supposed to be. But you need to know how to make it go fast.

When you're getting somewhat serious about buying, call brokers and ask to see the boats. Ask the broker how long the boat has been on the market and if there has been any price reductions. If you can get an honest answer to why the owner is selling, that helps too. Be prepared to find not all listings have current pictures of the boat. There's a thread here about how far off the listing can be.

FWIW, most asking prices are VERY flexible. One asking vs. sale price list we saw showed boats selling for as much as 40% off asking. Happy hunting!
Old 26-10-2013, 05:46   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Future Boat Purchase?

In any case, I would start with the smallest boat you believe will suit you and also one in the best technical condition.

I routinely encounter boats priced in the 20-40k bracket that could be brought to sail able condition for another 0-40k. Hence my wild guess is that with 30-60k one can get a 30'+ boat and go cruising.

Then comes your cruising kitty that will vary depending on how much you cruise, where you cruise and what your level of zen ;-) is.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 05:49   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i bought a derelictish formosa with decent bones and left san diego for mexico and points onward after replacing th edead engine and some deckwork, like, adding a not yet rotted backing plate for my foredeck and 2 bulkheads in bow.
so far i am refitting boat in mexico. is a lot less pricey here than in usa.
i sailed this boat 3000 plus miles in process so far of refitting her. this can be done. it is discouraged by those who favor immaculate yet needy YACHTS..lol...mine is a sailing boat.

if you have questions, please ask.

cruising is merely refitting ones boat in exotic locales.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 17:20   #11

Great info guys! One of the reasons I made the post was because it seems that most of the "cruisers " are in boats that I'm not very familiar with so I wasn't sure if I should keep looking at Beneteau, Catalina, Jeanneau, Hunter etc. I would like to have something over 40' and 2000 and later which seems very doable in the 100k range... I do understand that where will be additional cost in getting situated but that would be with any boat... I'm still a ways away probably although there was a '90 benetesu for 30-40k locally but it was demasted from a storm but still not a bad deal ... I could come up with about 200k right now and go but then I would be cashed out and hungry in a few years! Haha
Old 26-10-2013, 17:30   #12
cruiser

Our friends bought a 10 year old Beneteau 461, a boat that would be quite nice for what you intend to do. I believe they paid approx. 125k.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 16:05   #13

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hey there, we are in the same situation as to location and lack of inventory around here to look at. I would suggest a trip down to Kemah Texas and spend the weekend kicking the tires so to speak. Unfortunately you just missed the Annapolis boat show but I hear the weather was less than perfect for boat hopping this year. We have done a lot of research and there is no perfect boat. I believe we are leaning towards the leopard 39 and around 9-10 years old. One that has already been fit for blue water and tested. (Not sure we will be successful ) some of the ones we have looked at that were newer have has stress cracks and older had some mildew issues. Not that they all can't but so far that seems to be the trend. We need that size for when the kids and grand kids come along. We are going to be splitting the time between that and the RV. Best of luck on your search and your future off shore.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 21:11   #14

Seashells, Where are you located here In Oklahoma ? I would like to have a cat as well but I'm thinking my funds are going to be more subject to the monohull, I have plenty of time so we will see .. As far as a high production monohull the Hunter center cockpit in the mid 40' range looks pretty nice for the money but it seems half the people love them and the other half hates them...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29   #15

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
Seashells, Where are you located here In Oklahoma ? I would like to have a cat as well but I'm thinking my funds are going to be more subject to the monohull, I have plenty of time so we will see .. As far as a high production monohull the Hunter center cockpit in the mid 40' range looks pretty nice for the money but it seems half the people love them and the other half hates them...
by 'plenty of time', do you mean years before you buy/cruise, or plenty of time to work on a boat?

Tags
purchase