Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 02:00   #1

Getting ready to sail off. Need advice, tips, etc.

Wow, this is long, but I kept having more and more questions. Sorry!

I have been planning to circumnavigate for about 5 years now. I am looking for advice or tips on moving forward. This is obviously a big step. Kids are gone. I have my investments and full military retirement for income. I plan to finance with investments vice just paying cash (I have my reasons).
I have been sailing on and off for about 5 years.
Have lived aboard for a year on the Chesapeake Bay on my own 1988 C&C 30mkII.
I can fix just about everything, engines, ac, wiring, etc.
I have chartered a Lagoon 440 from Florida sailing to a couple close islands in the Bahamas and sailed back. What a good time even with crappy weather. dragging anchor, non-existent auto pilot, etc.
I have taken several ASA classes.
--------

Now, finally, I have my 20% or more down payment for a boat (2010-2013 Lagoon 450 or Helia 44) in the $300,000 - $370,000 price range. I’ve found several on the internet for sale, but have not visited any. I assume they all will need 20-40K to fix up.
It seems I will likely have to travel to the Med to buy one as they are more affordable there than the US and Bahama/Caribbean. I’m fine with buying there. It seems as though the US and island boats are about 50 to 80k more.
My plans are to fly to a boat show in France, the October 2020 Les Occasions du Multicoque (large only used only catamaran) boat show. IF I find one, then I can plan to do the following:
· After assessment, making a giant list of what I need to purchase, and the actual purchase of the boat, come home to New Mexico and continue to work for the next 4-6 months to earn the money to fix it up ($20-40K).
· While I am in New Mexico working, put the boat on the hard somewhere close in the Med, Spain, France, etc.
· While I work my last few months in the US, downsize more, sell my house, cars, RV, etc.
· Setup a cargo container or boxes to get my stuff to the boat in the Med.
· Make my finances able to be handled while gallivanting around the world.
· Retire and spend a few months fixing the boat. I do not plan to buy a project, but likely, it will need some stuff, water maker, sails, rigging/lines, updated electronics, solar, lithium and associated charging system updates, maybe wind, etc.
· Build on my sailing experience in the Med for a year or 3 year. If I am there, might as well see everything.
Things I think I need to do and advice is appreciated:
Consolidate down to a primary and secondary bank.
Signup for my Iridium Go plan for data, weather routing, and phone if required.
Activate plan for my Garmin InReach for tracking for family and texting.
Purchase insurance somewhere.
Figure out how to navigate (know how) by either updating the boat’s built in electronics or go mobile system (iPad, android, etc.).
Keep a couple empty credit cards, close everything else.
Develop a daily/weekly/monthly maintenance list.
Learn to dive and purchase gear and compressor setup.
Put boat payment and insurance on some type of auto payment so I do not have to worry about it.
Not sure if I need to arrange a mailbox in the US? Or, maybe forward mail to my daughter to open, read, and forward my mail if needed.
Need advice on how to do taxes. Where to register the boat (I do not plan to be in the US for many years). Thinking of registering in Florida someday for taxes. If I bought the boat out of the US, I don’t know what to do about sales tax (advice please).
Not sure how to handle buying a boat in Europe and VAT stuff. How to register or document the boat. I will likely need a boat broker who is more educated that I.
When everything is sold in the US, send a cargo container/pallet, or whatever to the boat yard. When at the boat yard, make one giant purchase of all the items to fix it up using saved pool of money. Start working on the boat.
I am not sure what is required for sailing paperwork. I have a passport…. I need to learn how to travel between countries. I have been to the Bahamas and did the customs and immigrations once. What boat paperwork must be presented, etc.?
I “assume” I will just use my ATM card to pay for stuff. Maybe I need to put everything on a credit card to be safe and then pay it off every month. Perhaps I need to carry a few thousand in cash. I am not sure how to handle paying for all my expenses. How do you all accomplish this? Food, port fees, goods, food, etc.
What other questions or concerns should I consider? Any advice on how to make the jump would be appreciated.
I don’t know what I don’t know.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 07:30   #2

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565
Re: Getting ready to sail off. Need advice, tips, etc.

[emoji41]
Waiting to see responses.....
D
Old 30-01-2020, 07:57   #3

Wow, after reading that all I can think is baby steps, one foot after the other. It seems like lots of additional costs trying to get started from a different continent. Good luck.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 08:14   #4

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
I don’t know what I don’t know.
This was definitely the case for us, and I image most new cruisers as well. But it sounds like you have a handle on many of the possible challenges.

Quite frankly the only thing you can really predict when outfitting a new-to-you boat is that it will cost more than you initially budget and take more time than you think. I think your plan of waiting 1-3 years before your circumnavigation is a reasonable amount of time for learning the boat/refitting.

I've never been to Med, but I agree with Iaangus that this whole process might be cheaper and definitely easier if you do it stateside.
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 09:46   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you can get over your fixation on cats, you can accomplish your dream for about half as much money. In addition, everything is 25-30% more expensive in the Med.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you can get over your fixation on cats, you can accomplish your dream for about half as much money. In addition, everything is 25-30% more expensive in the Med.

Yes, unfortunately true. However, the cost of sailing it home to Texas would also be pretty high....
I'm waiting for the only used, only catamaran boat show there in October, so I guess I have to wait.

I did live on a monohull for an entire year. Lots of fun and excitement, but did realize that I do not want to sail the world in a sail boat; its just not for me.
Unfortunately I only know of many people going from sailboat to catamarans and have never seen one go from a catamaran to a sailboat. Must be a reason for that. I certainly do like monohulls, but just not for me.
Old 30-01-2020, 12:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
I did live on a monohull for an entire year. Lots of fun and excitement, but did realize that I do not want to sail the world in a sail boat; its just not for me.
Unfortunately I only know of many people going from sailboat to catamarans and have never seen one go from a catamaran to a sailboat. Must be a reason for that. I certainly do like monohulls, but just not for me.
I'm a little confused. There are sailing catamarans, and there are power catamarans. You say you want a catamaran, but apparently not a sailboat. So you are talking about a power catamaran?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I'm a little confused. There are sailing catamarans, and there are power catamarans. You say you want a catamaran, but apparently not a sailboat. So you are talking about a power catamaran?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, only sailing catamarans. I couldn't afford a motor cat that would get me across the oceans. And, if I could afford to buy on, I probably couldn't afford the fuel.
Sailing is the only way for me and I enjoy it.
Old 30-01-2020, 12:46   #9

A-ha, I get it. I said I don't want to sail the world in a sail boat.....my mistake, I don't want to sail the world in a monohull.
Old 30-01-2020, 13:27   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

you're talking about a 45 foot cat - this is pretty good size to single hand - why so big if you are going to be alone? a 40 footer would be much easier and still have plenty of room for one person

jes askin'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 14:30   #11

Boat: EDELCAT33

Have you try following some of the YouTube cruisers out there. Most of them started not knowing what to do and documented their struggles. Some of them have sailed in the Med. look for MJ sailing, the Wynds, adventures of an old sea dog, sailing zíngaro, adventure adrift, sailing follow the boat, sailing project Atticus, RAN sailing, sailing UMA, sailing Nahoa
There are about another 50of them that has good documentation on the perils of moving from one country to another in a sailboat
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 15:14   #12

I will be sailing with my wife of a few decades.

I do watch them you tube sailors a lot. I have my favorites to include Wynns, Nahoa, and a few others. They help keep the desire to sail the world alive. I don't think they really show how much work and $ is involved in these endeavors, but do make it look fun. I been watching (no longer though) vagabond back when they wouldn't hold hands in the Med when they met.
I'd consider a little smaller boats, but a few things make boat bigger; island bed (wife mandatory), large rear deck/lounge. I've considered all the way down to the FP Lucia 40, but ultimately only 38'6' long and less than 22' wide. I'd like something in the 42 range, but seems more of the 44-45' meet my criteria.
Old 30-01-2020, 17:49   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Most everyone started sailing at the beginning. I think you are on the right track. I would suspect, without proof, that your prep budget to convert an older boat (at that price and desired boat it isn't new) will be more than you've budgeted. For world cruising you will need new standing rigging and probably upgrading a ton of systems, all of which are expensive. Spending time close to home (med in this case) is all good. I miss the crazies with their plans. You ain't one of them.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 19:05   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Shouldn't have too much trouble with VAT as long as you purchase the boat ex vat and then clear off out of Europe. Strongly recommend to find a good lawyer in Europe who can help you with translations and contract details and make sure you get the paperwork right.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 03:46   #15

I live in Florida and am managing a refit in Ensenada MX, 2500 miles away, south of San Diego (I now live in Florida). Not for the feint of heart due to logistics, availability, banking (TransferWise works well for Intl money transfers), and of course simply managing from such a distance. I have 100s of hours in sketches alone to ensure the outcome, and I have almost 30 years of experience, many of them as a full time delivery skipper.

France is 230v/50hz so if you buy a French boat, it will have gear you may not be familiar with - watermaker for example. Household appliances being another. There are workarounds for this, but add cost and complexity to reliably convert energy.

Between the above, travel costs, and storage fees during which time you will have zero enjoyment of the boat, you could easily wind up blowing through an $80k savings. As others have pointed out, you will be in one of the most expensive yacht regions in the world. Which might help explain the reduced cost of purchase.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail