Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 19:43   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Getting Sponsors

Hello, We have completed an extensive refit and will be doing "shake down" crusing this spring off the coast of NJ with our already proven Allied 39 sloop (see it at www.allied39.blogspot.com) my question is how do we go about getting a few "sponsors" that would like to advertise on our blog or boat? Like clothing, sails with their name on it, nav equipment, or just about anything. We're not looking for any handouts and really don't need any sponsors to complete what we started, just thought it would be a "win-win" situation for some company, we have hundreds of viewers a month on our blog and we're well exposed at the marina and "Yacht Club", etc. and we'll be traveling the globe soon... I haven't tried to get anyone except mention it on the blog, is there any other way to get someone/some company interested in our sailing project? Thanks
John
Southerly
John McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 02:53   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Sponsors

Unfortunately, it will be a tough sell to get paid advertisers for a blog with 100s of readers. You would need to have a readership in the thousands to get interest and even then its hard. There are just too many blogs out there with people doing essentially the same thing. Unless there is something that really sets you apart from other sailors- such as being very, very young or traveling with a crew of bikini models.

You might try using Google Ads on your blog. Anyone can sign up and you get paid for click throughs. Its pennies a click but if you get a big enough readership it could add up. I will tell you I have an acquaintance who has a very popular blog who netted a whopping $18 from Google ads.

Amazon also has a similar program for advertising and you might look into that.
Good luck.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

send $50 to my paypal a/c and i will tell you how......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 06:46   #4

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McLaughlin View Post
We're not looking for any handouts and really don't need any sponsors to complete what we started. Thanks
John
Southerly
But if you don't need the handouts why are you asking for advice on getting them John? Just asking.
Old 26-09-2011, 18:29   #5

Re: Getting Sponsors

Good question, I really never thought of it like that, I have a lot of years into this boat and sailing boats, now just about complete with this one and will be sailing off soon, I guess I thought it would just be kinda "cool" to be involved with "the sailing industry" so to speak. We really don't need any help with anything, products, etc. You have me thinking maybe I'll take the "sponsor" tab off the blog! Who needs them anyway!!!!
John
Allied 39
www.allied39.blogspot.com
Old 26-09-2011, 18:41   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

You can always look into being a product tester. I was a "Beta Tester" for a major manufacturer of marine refrigeration systems for many years. Every six months or so a technician would come to my boat and rip out the reefer, and install some new state-of-the-art design that was supposed to be better than the last one.

We always thought it was cool that we never had to defrost our systems because they'd never last long enough to build up significant ice.
Old 26-09-2011, 20:24   #7

Dani and I have had some extensive discussions on seeing donate links or sponsor links. Sometimes we see posts in blogs about products, or begs for help winning something or the other.

You know, that is all fine with us for other folks, but we'd never do it personally because we don't need to. Sure some money might be nice, but really....

We are pondering putting a button on the side that says "Donate" and if you click it, it directs you to put a dollar in your own piggy bank to save for your own adventure.
Old 26-09-2011, 20:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I think you first need to do something which will attract a sizable repeat audience. Then the advertising will follow.

It's not enough to ask people for money so you can go have fun, no offense intended. Many people will see it this way unless you are doing something truly different which is entertaining to a large audience. And then they might contribute because they are being entertained or believe in your cause.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 20:32   #9

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I'm guessing your best bet would be something local with which you have a relationship -- maybe a seafood restaurant would pay part of the cost of your next spinnaker or mainsail if you put their name and logo on the sail.

Or, there are many charity events (Leukemia Cup, etc.) in which you could raise money for some established charity; that's the sort of thing that local businesses and professionals are more likely to ante up something. Or you could get on the sponsorship committee for a regional regatta and muscle local waterfront businesses into donating door prizes to your event -- and then you might get lucky and win one of the door prizes you collected, grin!
Old 26-09-2011, 21:46   #10

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Dani and I have had some extensive discussions on seeing donate links or sponsor links. Sometimes we see posts in blogs about products, or begs for help winning something or the other.

You know, that is all fine with us for other folks, but we'd never do it personally because we don't need to. Sure some money might be nice, but really....

We are pondering putting a button on the side that says "Donate" and if you click it, it directs you to put a dollar in your own piggy bank to save for your own adventure.
Do it... it's a great idea.
I might 'borrow' it when I get to sailing and blogging, but I'm an IT disaster zone so I might need you to 'donate' some expertise

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 14:23   #11

Arrow Re: Getting Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post

Your right as I said in my reply earlier, I will now remove that "sponsor" page from my blog! I like your attitude! As I said I Don't need any sponsors we're on our way..
Thanks for the advice
John
Southerly
Old 27-09-2011, 14:45   #12

Well you have inspired me. check it at www.allied39.blogspot.com I have removed the "sponsor" page and titled a blog--"Your own adventure" You couldn't be more right..---Thanks
John
Southerly