Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What insurance do you carry for your boat ?
Fully insured 120 50.63%
Liability only 55 23.21%
Uninsured 62 26.16%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 11:52   #241
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Going Uninsured !?

mr b--sounds like cruising!! smooth sailing......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:50   #242

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mr b--sounds like cruising!! smooth sailing......
Thats cruising allright, Just lucky that I am capable to fix every thing that can go wrong,

These things happen, But how many people out there that cant fix things that go wrong,

Tere Hau Nui, Means smooth sailing in Tahitian,

My biggest worry was if the Mast broke or fell down, ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06   #243

Ok, I have not read the entire thread, but most and didn't see anything about wood boats.

I have always been insured (and ripped off) but I'm thinking of a home built scow at 30/32'. Too big to fall under my homeowner's policy.

I hear that there are two big draw backs to wooden boats. 1. That many marinas won't allow you in and 2. You're probably uninsurable, or at a very high premium.

I'd like to do the Great Loop, that would put me through metropolitian areas, maybe stopped by who knows what authorities, do any require insurance cruising through "their waters"? And, in such areas, are there no marinas that will serve you or just the "yachty club" types?

Seems to me that having such a boat any damage could be fixed short of sinking or a total loss, I don't thinkthat is likely at all.

I also think liability risks would be rather limited so long as I take extra measures to keep away from others and maybe use three anchors and tie up to a tree whil away. My boat will be beachable, run up on shore, so I see less risk of floating away and hitting your boat.

Which makes me lean toward taking my chances. Unless cheap liability coverage would be available.....any suggestions?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26   #244

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Boat US would provide cheap liability. The boat type/condition isnt of much concern when they aren't insuring it, just the damage it can cause, which that price is reflected by your experience as a captain.
In fact BoatUS now doesn't even require a survey for liability, they just send you a self survey form to fill out.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32   #245

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

If you own a home you can probably add it to your homeowners insurance, as an additional endorsement
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39   #246

Thanks! I've had about 45 years on boats, all under 30'. Never required to take any test due to my age in Mo. and I don't hold any license.
So I guess that's a high risk? Maybe it would help if I built in an air chamber around the boat at the gunnells, like a RIB, baby buggy bumpers.

Ya think I'm insurable? Good driving record if that helps....
Old 03-03-2012, 06:46   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
If you own a home you can probably add it to your homeowners insurance, as an additional endorsement
All of my past boats were insured this way, there are limitations even for liability, length, horse power, age, materials....I think they actually look at it as if they would provide comprehensive coverage on the boat they will provide liability only (hoping you'll get more coverage later I guess) and it's a pool of known risks associated with such boats, so they have a better idea of potential losses.

Anyway, my HO policies won't go with a 30' boat, per agent.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47   #248

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Actually they just ask how many years, never asked for verification, so I suppose you could lie and they'd never know. I'm not sure how much of a discount the experience gives, I think I told them 30 yrs, but I've been boatless the last five.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51   #249

I think I've always had a boat over that period....if my canoe counts.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Boat US would provide cheap liability. The boat type/condition isnt of much concern when they aren't insuring it, just the damage it can cause, which that price is reflected by your experience as a captain.
In fact BoatUS now doesn't even require a survey for liability, they just send you a self survey form to fill out.
I'm fully UN-insured now.
No boat insurance, no workers comp insurance, and no health insurance.
May look into liability only for the boat.
My insurance company dropped me because I had a claim, even though the other party admitted liability etc...
I checked prices with other companies, but they were high priced and uninterested really. Previous claim was issue.
I even inquired about liability only - they were not interested.
The one pompous ass even said something along the lines of "you are lucky" we even quoted you. Reminded me of that monty python sketch...
f them....
Having insurance is not necessarily "having" insurance anyway - I reckon they are all crooks...Have only had negative experiences...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19   #251
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
This has not been my experience.
Several years ago, I had a "liability only" policy with Boat US on a 25' Coronado. When I tried to move coverage to an Islander 28, with no change in location, operation or season, they told me that I would need a full out of water survey from one of their approved surveyors. I was flabbergasted, as we are not talking about a wooden homebuilt; but a well known production boat with a decent reputaion for design and construction. I had held a policy with them for 6-7 years prior with no claims. I might add that I hold a USCG 50T Master, ASA Instructor, STCW, etc. They held firm on the survey requirement so I went to Progressive at 20% less premium than I had been paying for essentially the same coverage.
Boat Us still sends me generic emails asking for my business and still requires the survey. Go figure
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26   #252
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Go figure"
You can't, Steve. Each insurer has their own criteria, as they are allowed to have. Each has their own market share and loss experience and each one (like the children of Lake Woebegone) is above average in their actuarial expertise. Which in theory tells them who to market to, and how to price their policies to make a profit while underselling the competition.
And that's all "trade secret" that they are not going to discuss in any detail. So you shop around, and read fine print (they actually pay people to render the policy agreement unreadable despite laws requiring legibility, two different things) and try to find information about claims payments and customer satisfaction. Oh, what, you don't have full-time staff to do all that research? <G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34   #253

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Typical boat insurance executive.
Attached Images

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:08   #254

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Typical boat insurance executive.
ROFL!!!!

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24   #255

A few years back when I bought a boat, BOAT US was the highest bidder for insurance.... by a long way too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote