Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2011, 17:35   #1

Good Offshore Jackets

I was wondering on your opinion on a good offshore sailing jacket. I really liked the Gill OS1 Jacket, but when I went to try it on the size wasn't right. Small was to big in the chest & XS was to short in the arms. There is also the OS Racer Jacket but they didn't have one to try on & not really sure if it's really up for long circumnavigation trips. If you have some other makes/brands I would love to hear about them. Thanks in advance.
Azorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 19:33   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400

we are happy with our Henry Lyolds. We bot have a light weight wind breaker and a heavier off shore fould weather jacket and bibs. My wife a a medium weiht fleece lined jacket which she really likes. We had one problem and Team One Newport replaced the jacket with a new one. We use our light weight ones when we I travel on live aboard dive trips.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 19:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
we are happy with our Henry Lyolds. We bot have a light weight wind breaker and a heavier off shore fould weather jacket and bibs. My wife a a medium weiht fleece lined jacket which she really likes. We had one problem and Team One Newport replaced the jacket with a new one. We use our light weight ones when we I travel on live aboard dive trips.
Thanks for the input/reply. I will check them out & do some research. I do have a light North Face rain/wind breaker which I've been happy with. I had one problem with it delaminating from the neck, but since they have a lifetime warranty, they replaced for no charge which was nice.
Thanks again for your comments - Gudgeon
Old 16-01-2011, 17:29   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
We have Gills. Mustos are great too.

We had Henri LLoyd and Burke's pants and they were c()p.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 17:42   #5

Boat: N/M 45
Musto HPX. This assumes you have the budget for top-end stuff, which is ridiculously expensive. If you don't, save up until you do. Keeps the water out, keeps the warmth in. My Musto pants/bibs are going on 19 years now, and they keep working fabulously.

Don't buy unless you can try it on - the fit is important.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:14   #6

Thanks Beetle, I will look into the Musto HPX & after my encounter with bad fit Gill Jacket, I always make sure they fit proper before buying anything. I would rather spend more money & get a great jacket that will last a long time & company has a good warranty.
Old 16-01-2011, 20:34   #7

Boat: Islander 44 (My lemon trying to make lemonade)
I have gill and they are great reasonable priced, remember that the size changes when you have kit under and the life jacket on top,, I have lived in mine for 6000 miles and they are still fine.
Naturally they don't clean up so good ( look a bit grotty) but they have more charm that way
ziptie-ducktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 12:34   #8

Boat: Baltic 37
Re: Good Offshore Jackets

Old thread, but this could be useful for somebody using the search. While the original poster found Gill sleeves a bit short compared to the chest, I found them to actually be a bit longer than Musto's. I've tried on Musto's MPX and Gill's OS1, and in size large both fit me well everywhere except Musto being a just a tad bit short on the sleeves. Of course the models might have changed over the years, and this is with the current ones. I'm 185cm/80kg (6'1"/180lbs).
ilari.scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:52   #9

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

What's the general consensus about high-visibility yellow versus darker reds and navy blues that are harder to see? Has anyone been worried about this as I have been? Even as a solo sailor (having no one on the boat to look for you) it's something I think should be considered. Any thoughts?
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't think red is a problem, but the gill womens gear comes in light blue, which is the exact color of fog. It's the stupidest color choice I can imagine except for possibly black.

One thing I recommend everyone do is buy some retro-reflective tape and put it everywhere on foul weather gear. The stuff lights up like a beacon when it's hit by a flashlight. Strips around the cuffs for favorite (for when you are waving at the boat).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:06   #11

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

Stumble-- good idea... only if the reflective tape sticks well. My current foulie is about 12 years old. (These people don't make a lot of money off me.) Most of it's come off long ago.
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 17:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Sew on retro tape works really well. I haven't had a lot of luck with the stick on.

Fabric glue also works fine, but you have to re glue it from time to time. Not a huge problem, but annoying. If you go this route multiple small pieces would be better. So you don't loose them all at once.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 17:12   #13

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I would be interested in which brands have performed the best. Musto with goretex fabric has been recommended to me. Your favorite?
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 18:21   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilari.scheinin View Post
Old thread, but this could be useful for somebody using the search. While the original poster found Gill sleeves a bit short compared to the chest, I found them to actually be a bit longer than Musto's. I've tried on Musto's MPX and Gill's OS1, and in size large both fit me well everywhere except Musto being a just a tad bit short on the sleeves. Of course the models might have changed over the years, and this is with the current ones. I'm 185cm/80kg (6'1"/180lbs).
I've got Gill 5 dot ocean racer gear , still going strong after 14 years of use.

Dave