Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 20:09   #46
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Have a Large Wad in Mexico

Things do change.

Last June when we traveled out of the country our banker just about refused to do travelers check when we asked for them. She finally talked us into a temp checking account with debit cards for each of us with the card linked ONLY to that one account. We were able to get online to transfer funds in each day for what we needed, and did withdrawals of cash that was the max allowed so as to pro-rate the fees. That way there was never much of a balance in the account, but we had full access to our funds. Worked like a treat.

Closed the account when we got home so no worries about id theft.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:05   #47

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

There is an underlining assumption by the responses/posts in this thread that access to all your financial records and transactions by the US Federal government, IRS and State law enforcement and local legal institutions (courts, lawsuits, etc.) is "normal" and okay. The total invasion of your "privacy" in financial matters by the governments, etc. is a fact of life in "normal" USA living.
- - The only way around this or to assert your supposed "right to privacy" is to not use banks or any form of financial institution - and instead, deal only in cash. Like we used to do 30+ years ago.
- - There are a "few" folks out cruising who are "weird" (in a good way in my opinion) who went cruising to try to reclaim their "rights" to privacy in various areas. So to these people - and others who may live in the USA and have personal or other reasons to want to keep the "Fed's, etc." out of their personal business, dealing with cash and how to transport it and how to "spend it" so as to not run "afoul" of various attempts to "track" you through your financial dealings - questions like the OP has posted come up.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ossiris--unfortunately, government DOES have access to your banking info and account in the usa as of the voting into law of that infernal health care bill thing. is difficult not to use banks when monies received for survival come straight into banks as auto deposits. unfortunately the day of being able to hide from government have looong gone.
cash is good, but ..... we no longer have any kind of "right" to proivacy. that also left our control when 9-11 happened. now we, as recreational boaters, are "the greatest threat to national security" to quote one thad allen , when he was commandant of uscg, before his fun and games with bp.

so we have our choices-- be tracked or get mugged.....simple as that. just be safe and aware.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17   #49

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ossiris--unfortunately, government DOES have access to your banking info and account in the usa as of the voting into law of that infernal health care bill thing. is difficult not to use banks when monies received for survival come straight into banks as auto deposits. unfortunately the day of being able to hide from government have looong gone.
cash is good, but ..... we no longer have any kind of "right" to proivacy. that also left our control when 9-11 happened. now we, as recreational boaters, are "the greatest threat to national security" to quote one thad allen , when he was commandant of uscg, before his fun and games with bp.

so we have our choices-- be tracked or get mugged.....simple as that. just be safe and aware.
As a cruiser in a USA flagged yacht this would amount to Government PIRACY
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:22   #50

mexdon--i kinda agree with ye on this one......
Old 07-10-2011, 09:40   #51

Boat: Cooper 416

Go open an account here, Banamex USA Then take about 1000.00 cash with you. You can use the ATM and write a check that will be accepted any where in Mexico for your marina services.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49   #52

gato loco--- be safe and see ye when ye get here-- i need to see that ye dont have a black eye from being mugged.....
Old 07-10-2011, 10:11   #53

Boat: in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's for sure! I have extensive dealings with an outfitter in La Paz who prefers to be paid via PayPal.

PayPal requires a bank which Zee doesn't like to deal with -as a last resort, convert the "Wad" to cashier's checks and stash/carry . . . they're good at any bank that has a SWIFT code, which would be any ligitimate bank in the world.. . . JMO
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20   #54

i use a bank--i HAVE to as i receive ssdi as my sole income, and without a bank i do not receive my income. i also have and use paypal as is the best way i know of to transfer funds, even tho it takes a few days

Tags
Mexico, mexico