Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 08:48   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Head on collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
IMHO this is most often false thinking. Being free from the helm you don't pay as much attention to watch keeping as you would while hand steering, especially in low trafic areas. You get distracted as you are not actively occupied in a physical task and get pretty soon sloppy in keeping watch. Besides that autopilot keeps in most conditions straight course, as they are supposed to do and any blind spot stays excactly in place. While hand steering I regularly take a peek on blind spots changing the course a bit to check those spots, no need to for another pair of eyes even when there're others on deck.

I think both of you guys - and I have enormous respect for both of you old salts - have a point.

In general I think that the autopilot does help a lot reducing workload and allowing you to concentrate on watchkeeping. Helm and lookout are separate jobs on larger vessels, aren't they?

But Teddy's right that being onloaded by the pilot does lead many rec sailors to goof off, losing concentration. Seen it a million times.

So I think you're both right. Pilot can improve watchkeeping, but not for everyone.

When I crossed the Atlantic two years ago, I insisted on vigilant, continuous watchkeeping even when we hadn't seen another vessel in days. We had two commercial mariners in our crew of 7, one of them an unlimited class master. The difference in quality of watckeeping of those guys, compared to the others, all very experienced and good rec sailors, was chalk and cheese. I always felt better when one of them was on watch, and I tried to learn from them as much as I could.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:13   #47

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
We had two commercial mariners in our crew of 7, one of them an unlimited class master. The difference in quality of watckeeping of those guys, compared to the others, all very experienced and good rec sailors, was chalk and cheese.
Ha! I don't know how many times I have encountered commercial vessels that just plow on regardless of anyone in the vicinity and when you try to raise them on the radio you get nothing! A few times I have come close enough to view the bridge with binoculars and could see no human beings. Obviously, not every commercial vessel is like that, but some are. Fishing boats, tugs, and ferries are notorious for ignoring everyone and everything in their way. I am reminded of the offshore trawler that ran ashore directly below Beavertail Light (64 feet, 15 mile visibility, fog horn) in Rhode Island. Someone had obviously plugged the waypoint in then fell asleep.
Old Today, 14:30   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dockhead, exactly what was different about the watchkeeping of the pros vs the yotties? You make it sound like there were startling differences ("chalk and cheese")... what were they?

Jim

Tags
collision, head