Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:32   #16

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Zydeco - What about when traveling out of the country? Or if out of the US for extended periods?
Dunno. Sorry. I don't think most domestic policies have much if any international coverage. Looks like Doodles might have the answer.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

That's what I'm thinking. And based on the difference in our ages, I bet I could get a really good rate.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 15:17   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I also have IMG through IMIS for my foreign wife - HOWEVER - it does not include coverage "inside" the USA/Canada. She has full coverage anywhere in the world except there for US$1500 a year. Last time I looked to get inside the USA/Canada coverage the premium jumps to over US$5K per year.
- - If you are healthy, single, and young like to OP, having health insurance for outside the USA is not really necessary. Most diseases a young man can get in these little Tropical paradises can be treated with over the counter drugs from the Pharmacia. Accidental injuries can be treated virtually free at public clinics and for ridiculously low prices at private doctors and clinics. My wife is having a series of foot surgery treatments at a first class clinic with the most modern equipment here in Trinidad. For a half hour with the doctor chatting about everything while he cuts away on her foot we are billed US$50 per visit. We spent more than that on lunch for two on the way back to the boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:47   #19

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't know. I posted it as a joke; but I suppose you could call the number.

As a Canadian, I thought it humorous to see health insurance hawked like a kitchen gizmo.
And it might be noted that Billy Mays passed away in June 2009. A great pitchman.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 17:26   #20

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Gord as another Canadian I also found it funny. As an ancient Canadian I get free medical coverage in Canada during the 6 mos. I am here. during the other six months I get coverage through my new Filipena wife's Philhealth plan. which has a family cost of about $100CAD per year. The medical treatments and care in the Philippines is as good as it is in Canada and you have a very short wait time. A standard doctor's visit without Philhealth runs less than $20CAD. The medical system in the US is beyond my scope of understanding. It must be the most expensive in the world. Is it really worth it?
Old 11-07-2010, 17:56   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Grunzster-
" Do I need to change my health insurance every 6 months too? " If you haven't found out by now...You would only have "out of network" coverage in the second location, usually with a second or much higher deductible. Pretty much all medical insurance in the US has become an "HMO" no matter what they call it, your primary coverage is to "enrolled" providers in your local area and everything else is "ka-ching!".
The only national coverage these days might be from the VA.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 19:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't know. I posted it as a joke; but I suppose you could call the number.

As a Canadian, I thought it humorous to see health insurance hawked like a kitchen gizmo.
I thought the "Can" in iCan stood for Canada (as in "I Can move to Canada!). I just assumed the $160 a month is what they charged you for relocation and job-search assitance for your move to Canada.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 17:51   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You would only have "out of network" coverage in the second location, usually with a second or much higher deductible. Pretty much all medical insurance in the US has become an "HMO" no matter what they call it, your primary coverage is to "enrolled" providers in your local area and everything else is "ka-ching!".
The only national coverage these days might be from the VA.
GREAT! So my options are:
  1. Get out of the US for those other 6 months and get one of those travelers policies...in addition to the other policy?
  2. Just go with travelers, and hop on a plane if I need treatment?
  3. Just go with the original plan, I'm young and healthy, **** the insurance?
Old 03-08-2010, 18:23   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
G,
You can go without insurance easy in the US.

There is free medical care for everyone. Has been for years.

Just make it a ER and they (by law) have to treat you. Got a busted appendix or bone - no problem, they will fix it.

You then work out a payment plan after dithering with the charges. 10.00 a month is even in the realm. If they say no then you can tell them they will get the same as if you were a homeless psychopath (sailor).
They will go for a payment plan. Something is better than nothing.

Most don't know that free medical care is already a fact in the US. Not the best but better than most 3rd world places.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:39   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Grunzster-
You'd have to see what policy terms and limits apply. And, "must" go abroad like clockwork every six months could interfere with the rest of life.

Hopping on a plane is all well and good, but these days with global flu concerns, if you look flushed and are running a fever--you may be pulled out and denied boarding. If you're doubled over from appendicitis, you may not be up to flying even if you aren't stopped. Flying halfway around the world for a scheduled procedure is one thing, but if you get hit by a truck..."Take me to the airport" may not play so well.<G>

Which is the downside to "young and healthy". I know two young and healthy people, in their 20's, who were diagnosed with unexpected heart problems. Big time, surgery not optional but because it was caught early, they could schedule it non-emergency. And of course, "hit by a truck" or hit by a boom, applies at any age.

So...the cheaper choice in the US is a major medical policy with a high ($5-10k) deductible and you just hope you're "in plan" if you need it. Or you try to find one of those rare plans that claim to be national.

As Therapy mentions, the reality of hospital billing can be surprising. Some of the hospitals and some of the lab companies make VERY generous accomodations for people with low income and no insurance. Some will charge you the "Medicare rate" which can be half "retail". Some will actually comp the charges--this is an area where negotiation is kept very quiet--but is very effective.

And of course, if Obamacare isn't struck out in the courts, the rules will keep changing over the next 4 years, often radically. You can't tell the players without a scorecard, and there'll be a new one of those about every six months from now on.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:49   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
As Therapy mentions, the reality of hospital billing can be surprising. Some of the hospitals and some of the lab companies make VERY generous accomodations for people with low income and no insurance. Some will charge you the "Medicare rate" which can be half "retail". Some will actually comp the charges--this is an area where negotiation is kept very quiet--but is very effective.

And of course, if Obamacare isn't struck out in the courts, the rules will keep changing over the next 4 years, often radically. You can't tell the players without a scorecard, and there'll be a new one of those about every six months from now on.
That is said better than the way I tried.
Thanks H.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01   #27
Marine Service Provider

I can do the psychopath act...probably without much of a stretch.
Quote:
You'd have to see what policy terms and limits apply. And, "must" go abroad like clockwork every six months could interfere with the rest of life.
Maybe if I tell them up front they can work out some sort of deal, if it means getting a new customer or not? What do you mean could interfere with life? Isn't going abroad every six months exactly what snowbirding is?
Quote:
Which is the downside to "young and healthy". I know two young and healthy people, in their 20's, who were diagnosed with unexpected heart problems. Big time, surgery not optional but because it was caught early, they could schedule it non-emergency. And of course, "hit by a truck" or hit by a boom, applies at any age.
On the other hand there people who go without insurance for years and never have a problem. There are also plenty of people with insurance who have something major (expensive) happen and their claim is denied. In the end, especially in the US, you're paying a lot of money for something that you may never need, and that may not even help you if and when you do need it.

Boom! What boom? My story for DAN is I got hit by the dive ladder when boarding the boat. Maybe my best bet is to just go without insurance, forget snowbirding, and just leave the US since just paying out of your own pocket seems to way be cheaper in the rest of the world.

Tags
health insurance