Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 10:29   #1

Help with Selling Boat

Hello Cruiser Forum,
Not sure if I am in the right place to ask a few questions but hopefully someone could give me advice.
I have a 21' foot powerboat that I would like to sell. This boat belonged to my father who passed away last year. I don't have all the specs. on it at the moment but would like to know the best and most realistic way to sell it. It is a 1960's Brandlymeyer (I think they were made up here in British Columbia). Quite a new engine plus a cabin. As I said I don't have all the paperwork with me right now. It comes with a boathouse also.

My questions are:

What is the best way to sell something like this? I contacted a boat broker who said that he only deals in yachts. I can understand that selling a boat like this isn't really worth it to them.

Would it be better to sell the boathouse and boat separately?

Should I just sell the boat in the classifieds?

As someone who doesn't know one thing about boats I would like to get what it is worth without getting shafted.

Thanks for reading and any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Land Lubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Engine is likely worth more than the boat. I would recommend talking to someone (maybe a surveyor) about the value of the boat and motor. You could list local classified, Graig's list or other online local listing. You need to know the value for starters. Not sure what you are talking about with the boathouse.

Good luck
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Although it is not incredibly common, Ebay is an option. Especially given that you are unaware of all of the specs. However, Ebay has many boats that are not in great condition. I would recommend Craigslist.org and your local newspaper. It is coming closer to season, so maybe even putting a sign up in your yard.
Spencer
Old 04-03-2010, 12:59   #4

Thanks for the responses. I should have been clearer about the boathouse. The boat is in the water at the local marina and comes with the boat.

Thanks again!
Land Lubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31   #5

Go to ur local library & ask for boat trade-in manual. if near water, most librarys have them. ALL brokers will tell u they no good-BUT it gives u an idea of what the boat is worth in the eyes of a banker if he were going to loan money on the vessel. All u need is MAKE, year, model/lenght.
H.Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:38   #6

BTW-yrs ago I had a boat & boat house on lake Erie. I sold my boat, then the house;all in less than 30 days-in the FALL, when no one is supposed to be buying. The guy next door to me had his house & 42' Chris for sale for the 4 yrs I lived there-but would not sepatate them. They were still for sale when I moved.
H.Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
You can gather together the information on the boat. Motor type and size and any extras and then search the web for comparisons. There's always a lot on Craigslist up here and with fishing season coming its a good time to be selling a day runner. Boat houses can be worth a lot depending on size, construction, amenities and where it's situated. Again, craigslist or usedvictoria Boathouse for Sale North Saanich & Sidney , Victoria kijiji and so forth. Boathouses aren't quite as easy to sell.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote