Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 08:20   #1

How Much Is this Boat Worth ?

Hello, I know nothing about this sailboat I have, and I was wondering if anyone on here could help me.

The only thing i can tell is that its 22 ft long and has 2 leather seats inside.

Ill put a picture of it and if anyone can tell me anymore about it from the boat or an estimate on how much it is worth, that would be fantastic.

Many thanks to all who reply.

Charlie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 09:20   #2

I think if you got $5K out of it, with trailer, you should be very happy for yourself. If it has no sails and/or has no operable engine, I'd knock it down to $2K, on the high side.

That's me, and I'm cheap.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 09:52   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Are you buying or selling?
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 09:57   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Being a twin keeler and that small I wouldn't expect to get more then $2K even with the rusty trailer. I'd donate it to some Sea Scout group somewhere Then write it off on taxes, if you could.

They do make a great floating camper and can really get into the shallows. But my neck already hurts just looking at it.
Old 23-09-2010, 11:39   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Without sails or functional engine...........USD......$1500. With sails and functional engine........USD.......$1500-$3000. Your market may be different though, Where are you?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 12:22   #6

There is a boat in Biloxi of similar size for sale with a 7.5 Evinrude outboard for $600. The one in Biloxi needs a little hull work and paint, has a better looking trailer and also has no sails (or at least I didn't see any). Theses two boats aren't exactly the same, but it gives you an idea of what things are going for in this market. Boats are cheap these days. At the same place, I also saw a stunning wooden, fully rigged 30 foot schooner for sale. The asking price was 15K and there were no takers. It is now a "best offer" deal. If this site had a better system of posting photos, I would post images of both.

Another example of how low the prices are, a guy across the pier from me recently sold his twin engine Bayliner yacht, about 38 feet, for $10K. It was in excellent condition, but one engine kept overheating..that was the only thing wrong with it.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 12:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly38 View Post
There is a boat in Biloxi of similar size for sale with a 7.5 Evinrude outboard for $600. The one in Biloxi needs a little hull work and paint, has a better looking trailer and also has no sails (or at least I didn't see any). Theses two boats aren't exactly the same, but it gives you an idea of what things are going for in this market. Boats are cheap these days. At the same place, I also saw a wooden, fully rigged 30 foot schooner for sale. The asking price was 15K and there were no takers. It is now a "best offer" deal. If this site had a better system of posting photos, I would post images of both.
If you are new to sailing, stay away from all these boats. They are all overpriced, based on what you reported.

some simple rules for the newcomer:

Stick with fiberglass.

Do not buy a boat that is not equipped with sails.

Do not buy any kind of project boat... stick with boats that are in good shape.

In this buyer's market, you should be able to get a very good Hunter or Catalina in the 22 -27 foot range for a nice price. Say $1500 or so for a 22 footer, maybe $3000 for a 27.

Just keep looking... time is on your side.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 12:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
If you are new to sailing, stay away from all these boats. They are all overpriced, based on what you reported.

some simple rules for the newcomer:

Stick with fiberglass.

Do not buy a boat that is not equipped with sails.

Do not buy any kind of project boat... stick with boats that are in good shape.

In this buyer's market, you should be able to get a very good Hunter or Catalina in the 22 -27 foot range for a nice price. Say $1500 or so for a 22 footer, maybe $3000 for a 27.

Just keep looking... time is on your side.
I believe the OP wrote he already has the boat.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 12:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly38 View Post
I believe the OP wrote he already has the boat.
Sorry. My mistake.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 13:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

500 to 1500quid... depending on what she has... I see no winches for a start, no pushpit so assume no pullpit... one could go on....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:30   #11

Boat: C&C Mega 30
looks like a nice tandem axle trailer. Get the boat off of it and plank it with 2x6's and it oughta be worth at least $700.
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:30   #12

I'm with some of the previous posters. Donate and take the tax write off. It does not look like it has sails. Buying sails for that thing would cost more than the boat is worth.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 07:55   #13

Thanks for all the replies so quickly, I live in the UK and I do have sails for it, sorry i didnt mention that in the top, also im selling the boat. Also does anyone know where i could sell the boat, that would be very helpful thanks again for all the replies.
Charlie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:52   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie92 View Post
Thanks for all the replies so quickly, I live in the UK and I do have sails for it, sorry i didnt mention that in the top, also im selling the boat. Also does anyone know where i could sell the boat, that would be very helpful thanks again for all the replies.
Twin keelers have more value in the UK and I did put a US $ value on it, so belay my last.

BTW Do you know the manufacturer? The keels look very similar to a Clipper Marine on the US side but the hull is completely different.

You could sell it anywhere where they have major tidal changes.

Old 24-09-2010, 11:45   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

looks a bit like a Caprice.

or even a Silhouette.

both Robert Tucker designs so maybe a name worth Googling after to see what else he designed.

Robert Tucker British Yach Designer

I'd e-bay it. in the uk seems to be an accepted way of shifting small sailibg boats, not just crap.

Tidy it up. and clean it - and take loads of photos.

be nice to be able to say she also floats and is "all there" and "good to go" (even if that is only once around the harbour and not RTW ).

But if not I wouldn't spend much (anything ) doing anything apart from cleaning / waving a screwdriver around. I'd not try to hide any problems, just be upfront as at that price / age no one is expecting perfection. indeed most would (should!) expect a few things will need looking at............

would be expected to have some sort of engine - my guess is has / had an o/b rather than an inboard. if it's a late model o/b might even be worth selling seperately and putting some cheap & old (but still working!) crappy outboard on the back.

value? in the hundreds. if she gets above £1k I would call it a result
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote