Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 19:14   #16
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Keep in mind though that dead roaches and wet mattresses can be a good thing in price negotiation. Most people walk away from such boats but these are minor inconveniences rather than real problems. You'll probably find that poor presentation means a price discounted by much more than the cost of a cleanup and that an otherwise sound but untidy/unclean boat can be a got for a real bargain price.

At the extreme end, I know of a boat bought ultra cheap because the stench of dead rats kept most people away from even boarding it. It's a ferro sloop, about 32', and is a very sound vessel. I'm told that it took about a year for the stench to disappear completely, but the owner thought the wait a small price to pay for an otherwise sound vessel. See the boat here: Angas Inlet: Ferro sloop Remy
True and can be a good bargaining point if the owner is willing. The particular boat I was mentioning wa sway over priced for what it was and the lay out did not suit us either but the state of the vessel rang alarm bells so we dismissed it totally. Too many fish in the sea to worry about a boat presented in that condition.

Now the Rinker 320 next to it was a different story and obviously loved by its owner. We very nearly bought that bought.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 17:24   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Before spending $$ to travel to the boat, I'd seriously consider finding a local surveyor and having the boat surveyed first. The surveyor can fax or email the report to you. If he/she likes the boat and thinks the price is fair, you can go see it and put in an informed offer. If not, the cost of the survey (around $500 in the N.E. U.S.) may be less than the travel expenses, plus you have saved your valuable time.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 17:37   #18

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Thanks again for all the great advice. I've made an appointment to go see it and if we feel it "fits" us. I have a surveyor standing by on call.
I'll keep you informed if you want to know.
Just realize, if I get this boat, you'll have your hands full.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 19:35   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
I agree with alot of pictures.. then full survey.. teh nsee it for yourself... then make an offer.. The survey will be less than your total travel expenses..
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 19:49   #20
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Several people mentioned "on condition of survey" when you make your offer contingent upon the survey, you might want to include what must be done out of the survey. We bought our boat and the survey came back with a couple of minor points, for example the surveyor wanted the plastic sea strainer changed out for brass, and the batteries changed in the smoke detectors, I had an expectation that those would get done but the seller did not want to do either. At that point the question was, did we have the condition of the survey met?
Based on my being satisfied in every other way, no changes were made and we took the boat. However, I learned something here, and that is that when I make my next offer contingent upon a satisfactory survey, there will a decision made on who fixes what needs to be done and/or how it will affect the price. Based on what I have seen, the survey comes back with MUST DO's and Should Do's. Again what happens with that info will be decided in advance.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 20:23   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Subject to Survey usually means you have the option to walk away with your deposit if something of major expense is found... or you negociate a compromise deal.... but if your gonna argue the toss about who pays for a couple of cracks in the gel coat I as a seller would only have one thing to say..... yet again....
NEXT.......

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 20:09   #22
KEG

I'm long distance looking also. I looked at the pictures in the ad of one boat. The owner sent me a link to more. Looking at the pictures, my wife pointed out that the fabric on the cushions is different between the two sets of pictures. Countertops are different colors. Owner claims pictures are of the same unchanged interior.

Red flag? You betcha. Not worth my time to go see now.

Matthew
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat