Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2021, 17:30   #1

How to make offer for newbie, first ever boat viewing

Hi,

I've found a boat in my budget and I would love some advice about how to arrange a viewing, having never sailed or looked at a potential boat for purchase before. This isn't about how to survey a boat, but more how to manage expectations between myself and the seller when this is the very first boat I have ever looked at and will likely not be buying it (at least right away until I have seen others). You never forget your first time, they say :P

This is the boat: https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...ew-york-164150

So, all that said, forgive me if this is not the right place to ask this, or perhaps it's gauche to ask at all, but here goes...

I understand that to view a boat, it's customary to make an offer first. Is there a rule for how much to offer vs the asking price, sight unseen?

Does anyone see any obvious problems with this boat from the pictures?

Does it appear to be worth what they're asking?

What should I offer for this boat?

This is complicated by the fact that there's noplace to put her right now if I do purchase her, as I live in upstate NY and all the marinas are closed for the winter. How do I handle that?

Okay, I guess that's enough questions for now. I very much appreciate your opinions and advice and I hope I'm not being a horrible human by asking them.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 17:51   #2

Re: How to make offer for newbie, first ever boat viewing

I should add, feel free to PM me if you don't want to be part of an open discussion.
Old 19-01-2021, 18:24   #3

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
This is complicated by the fact that there's noplace to put her right now if I do purchase her, as I live in upstate NY and all the marinas are closed for the winter. How do I handle that?
It's a beautiful boat and pretty much what I'm looking for. The only problem is that it's located in the wrong country ;-)

Picture 81 has the CD player (I suppose, but the cover/buttons are missing).
Could be a theft deterrent and stored elsewhere. Not expensive to replace.

I would try $7,000. Why not?

The boat is probably on land now and I suspect storage for the winter is already paid... The ad mentions 'Currently winterized'.

The good news: You can probably leave it there until spring. If you _really_ want to move it closer to home, there are lots of people who can do it.

The bad news: If it's winterized, taking it for a sail is going to be a problem. Getting it inspected/surveyed is also a problem as any water may be frozen (it is up here in Canada).
Old 19-01-2021, 18:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

I understand that to view a boat, it's customary to make an offer first.
No, No, No NOOOOOO !

First one views the boat then decides if one wants to make an offer.
Old 19-01-2021, 18:59   #5

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I certainly would never make an offer on it before looking at it.

Where to put it is a big consideration. If you do not have a trailer for it, then you will be forced to moor it year round, which is a big chunk of change, or pull it out of the water, which means you still have to pay to store it. Also it costs to haul it out, and put it in as well, gets expensive fast.

Maybe you should look at a trailer sailor instead? That way they come with a trailer, you can take it home to work on it, and no moorage fees at all, unless you want to moor it for a few months in Summer.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
It's a beautiful boat and pretty much what I'm looking for. The only problem is that it's located in the wrong country ;-)

Picture 81 has the CD player (I suppose, but the cover/buttons are missing).
Could be a theft deterrent and stored elsewhere. Not expensive to replace.

I would try $7,000. Why not?

The boat is probably on land now and I suspect storage for the winter is already paid... The ad mentions 'Currently winterized'.

The good news: You can probably leave it there until spring. If you _really_ want to move it closer to home, there are lots of people who can do it.

The bad news: If it's winterized, taking it for a sail is going to be a problem. Getting it inspected/surveyed is also a problem as any water may be frozen (it is up here in Canada).
I assume the faceplate for the stereo is removed for security reasons but like you say, it's easily replaced.

Thanks for your feedback and I wish you luck in finding your boat!
Old 19-01-2021, 19:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No, No, No NOOOOOO !

First one views the boat then decides if one wants to make an offer.
Yikes. See this is where too much reading leads to confusion. I thought I read somewhere that a lot of sellers won't show a boat because too many people just want a free cruise. Certainly not the case here as it's on the hard, but I just assumed it was custom. Thank you for setting me straight!
Old 19-01-2021, 19:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
I certainly would never make an offer on it before looking at it.

Where to put it is a big consideration. If you do not have a trailer for it, then you will be forced to moor it year round, which is a big chunk of change, or pull it out of the water, which means you still have to pay to store it. Also it costs to haul it out, and put it in as well, gets expensive fast.

Maybe you should look at a trailer sailor instead? That way they come with a trailer, you can take it home to work on it, and no moorage fees at all, unless you want to moor it for a few months in Summer.
If I buy a boat I'm leaving NY forever and heading south to live on it. So, as EarlWer suggested, hopefully I can leave it in the yard until spring. The chances of this boat being the one are pretty slim but I'm starting early because I want to be on the move as quickly as possible. I'm done with life in the cold! Brrrr.
Old 19-01-2021, 19:14   #9

The process is not weird and mysterious. In the price range you are looking at treat it exactly like buying a used car, and you'll not go wrong.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The process is not weird and mysterious. In the price range you are looking at treat it exactly like buying a used car, and you'll not go wrong.
Thank you, that is very helpful. It does feel rather arcane.
Old 20-01-2021, 03:48   #11

Quote:
Yikes. See this is where too much reading leads to confusion. I thought I read somewhere that a lot of sellers won't show a boat because too many people just want a free cruise. Certainly not the case here as it's on the hard, but I just assumed it was custom. Thank you for setting me straight!
Listen to Boatpoker, Lance.

He is a exceptionally experienced boat surveyor (what he doesn't know about boats isn't worth knowing) and also a august, and genuinely helpful, Forum Member.

Good luck!
That Cape Dory looks just about right (but be wary of pictures. Go see her).
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 04:41   #12

Lance - looks like a nice boat, fairly priced.

To follow on the back of Boatpoker, process is

1. Look at boat to see if general condition pleases you. You should be able to view as much as you want, though for $10k, it's pretty easy to become a pest.
2. Make offer contingent on whatever inspections you chose to do - hull, machinery, rigging, and sea trial. On a $10k boat, it's tempting to skip a few bases, but are often false economy - a repair costs what repair costs regardless of cost of the boat. Offer is typically accompanied with a 10% refundable earnest money deposit (see note below on FSBO-type).
3. Closing. If all goes well, you exchange money for the title and the boat is yours.

FSBO transactions - as someone else mentioned, think of this like buying a used car. When you use a broker, they have an escrow account to hold deposits. In a pure FSBO transaction, I'd be hesitant to give the seller a deposit for fear they wouldn't return it. Assuming you move forward with survey/inspections, you'll have significant cost outlays, so the seller may be okay foregoing a deposit, but it's something you'll have to discuss/negotiate.

NOTE ON WINTERIZED - this means the boat is in hibernation, possibly wrapped. Sellers are a bit leery to open-up the boat for inspections since they'll probably have to re-winterize at some cost/expense if you decide you don't like the boat. This is a negotiable item. On one side, the buyer can say "if it's for sale, seller bears cost to make it available for inspection."

Good luck -

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 04:48   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Sellers do not normally offer “ cruises “ to first time viewers. You inspect the boat, in the water at the dock , or on the hard. If you want to proceed you , enter the buying process which normally includes a test sail. This is done after a deposit typically.

If the boat is winterised , I let any buyer know this and explain that I will only launch and recover at their cost ( ie a sea trial )

As a result I avoid selling out of the water and I personally will not make offers on boats not in the water
Old 20-01-2021, 06:18   #14

Boat: Saving up for my first boat

Quote:
Nice-looking boat! Especially for the price. Looks like she's been well-maintained and all the fundamentals appear to be sound. I'm jealous.

I'm a year and a half away from getting my sail-away boat... Looking right now for a "learner" in the $3K-6K range. My first boat!
Jamesiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 07:35   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Hi,

I've found a boat in my budget and I would love some advice about how to arrange a viewing, having never sailed or looked at a potential boat for purchase before. This isn't about how to survey a boat, but more how to manage expectations between myself and the seller when this is the very first boat I have ever looked at and will likely not be buying it (at least right away until I have seen others). You never forget your first time, they say :P

This is the boat: https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...ew-york-164150

So, all that said, forgive me if this is not the right place to ask this, or perhaps it's gauche to ask at all, but here goes...

I understand that to view a boat, it's customary to make an offer first. Is there a rule for how much to offer vs the asking price, sight unseen?

Does it appear to be worth what they're asking?

Okay, I guess that's enough questions for now. I very much appreciate your opinions and advice and I hope I'm not being a horrible human by asking them.
========================================
PM sent
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, offer