Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 18:44   #1

I Live in Kansas and Nobody Knows Anything About Sailing. Buying Advice? [pics]

Hi. I am a young gun with absolutely NO sailing experience. However, I am quite keen on learning, and buying a boat soon. I joined this forum to get the advice of all you veterans out there about a boat I'm looking at.

Flickr: mljsmith31's Photostream

Here are the vague specs:

It's a 27' Luger Kit Boat called a "Fairwinds 27"

The previous owner died of cancer before finishing the interior. It comes with plans for the berth and cabinetry.

It has only been sailed twice and has been sitting in a yard for years.

Its sails are apparently perfect.

It has a 9 HP outboard motor.

The Price is $2500. Is this a deal? How much should I expect to spend on repairs and the interior?

Thanks in advance.
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 19:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well my experience is more with larger boats so not sure if this is a deal or not. To some degree it depends on how well built the boat is. If it is a cheap, lightweight junker then no. If it is solid, well built, heavy duty then maybe.

You say it has only been sailed twice, meaning since it was new it has only been in the water twice? Have the sails been stored inside and out of the sun? What other gear comes with it? How old is the boat and the motor? Was it stored carefully or has water been seeping into the wooden parts including the deck which is very possibly plywood in between layers of fiberglass, called a core. If the boat has a plywood core deck that is wet and rotting then run away.

Biggest question, how are your carpentry and fiberglassing skills? If you have to pay someone to finish the boat then it will NOT be a deal. The cost is hard to estimate from pictures and would depend hugely on how fancy you want the interior and what gear you want to add. In boats the sky is the limit on spending.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 19:42   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Run, do not walk away from the deal. You can get much better value for your dollar than that. If memory serves me correctly, Luger was a Hunter kit boat from some time in the early '80's. It was not a great value then and is probably less so now. You need to consider that you will need to spend much more to finish the interior and get the boat outfitted which will raise the cost to much more than the boat is worth.
Nice trailer, though.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 20:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Go look at New Boats And Used Boats For Sale By Owner And From Dealers and compare what you find there to the kit boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:27   #5

Great, I'm glad I sought out some advice before buying! You fellas have been really helpful and I'm glad I didn't get swindled.

The hunt continues...
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:52   #6

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
I completely agree with Jentine! The wife and I just bought our second boat in the last year, and I can tell you from looking to buy that there are MUCH better deals out there for that size. We sold our Columbia 26' that was in decent shape for $1300. The market here in southern CA is probably softer than most anywhere else, but you should be able to get a better deal than that.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:49   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Yeah except for the 9 HP outboard. If that thing is in good shape and fairly new, it is worth a couple of grand all by itself, the rest of the boat then is only $500 which is not bad.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 12:46   #8

Boat: O'day 26, 26' Rojo Grande
Of course people sail in Kansas (and Missouri) Not sure where you are located but Lake Perry has an active sailing group, and there are several places in the KC area as well. As to it being a "Deal"? if the sails have been cared for and are in good shape, if the 9HP has as well, and if it comes with the trailer, could be. But from looking at the pic's there is a lot of work to be done. Depends on how you are equiped to handle the finish of the boat. Do some online shopping for the outboard, sails and trailer, get a feel of how much it would cost to buy those items, then take a hard look at the work needing to be done. When the season opens up again, take a trip to your nearest lake,(Perry, Jacomo, Smithville) hang out around the docks on a weekend, you might find someone who is willing to take you out with them. Also check into the local yacht clubs, someone is always looking for "meat" for the races.
joeybkcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 13:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You don't want that boat. Its hard to explain exactly why but it is not going to sail very well and you are quickly going to get tired of assembling it and disassembling it every time you want to go sailing. It always happens with trailer boats like that. No way is it worth that much either.

I would start out with a smaller sailboat and see how well you like sailing. I'm thinking something in the 14 to 16 foot range that can hold two people. I really do think those that start out in a smaller and less stable boat do tend to become better sailors. Small boats give you instant input as to whether or not you are doing things right. Get a self-righting boat that does not swamp so that if you do capsize all you have to do is pull down on the daggerboard and and off you go. I'm thinking a Laser with a beginners rig or a Sunfish or similar type of hull. I would avoid someone else's broken down project boat.

Project boats are fun at first but after hundreds of hours in to it, you will grow tired of it and not have even sailed it yet. I don't think it is worth the effort to put all that much work into a low value boat...but thats just me.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 14:30   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
You can get a factory completed boat for a lot less than what it's going to cost you to buy and finish that boat.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 14:36   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
I totally agree with David. You didn't mention how you'd use the boat, but if you're just looking to learn, nothing in the world is better than a Laser. Find or borrow an older one for a season and see if you like it. If so, try to purchase a new (or almost new) one and treat it like gold- it will last you a long time and you'll never get tired of blasting along on a reach.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 15:05   #12

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
PappyChris is up there in Kansas and has to move down here to SOTex. He has a couple for sale. Talk to him and see what he's got, but it won't be that cheap I'd bet.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Pappy Chris
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 15:40   #13

Boat: 1977 Marine Trader 40' Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy Chris
You better ask someone who actually owns one of these boats.
I do.
Most of the (negative) information I just read here has left me absolutely just speechless.....
--- because I should.
Pappy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money, price