Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 19:11   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
FYI: my boat took a direct hit from Ike in Kemah, TX. It survived undamaged. Still for sale....

Mine also, you must have been at south shore.
Volksdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 21:08   #32

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
My boat came out unscathed, but then again I prep'd her for the storm. I am livaboard here at the Kemah Boardwalk marina and noticed that most damaged boats were not prep'd at all before the storm.

Many of them still had their biminies up. Others left their furled jibs up and suffered ripped jibs blowing (most still blowing) in the wind. Alot of debri washed up around the marina, but mainly at the finger piers near the parking lot. Those boats were ok from the surge and storm but some were scratched by the boards with nails in them and such. It amazes me how many damaged boats have not even been looked at by their owners yet, very sad.

Watergate marina's fixed docks took a beating. I will never moor at a fixed dock in the future after seeing how tore up it got on their north side. The fixed docks there were only capable for a 6 foot surge or so.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:50   #33

I was at Watergate before I moved over to South Shore but I still had friends who had boats at Watergate, some coming out with hardly any problems what so ever if you can believe that. I guess I should be glad Watergate said my boat wasn't up to par with the quality of boats they keep.
Volksdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 12:18   #34

Watergate has floating docks has well... and I've heard, less absentee owners.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 13:48   #35

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I had my boat at Bayland Marina in Baytown TX and the whole damn thing floated off its pilings and sailed off down the bay. We have about 80 boats layed up on the bank mostly without major damage.The city of Baytown is going to charge us to put our boats back in the water. Those without full coverage a beginning to worry if they will be able to afford it. The pilings were only 8-10 ft above water at regular high tide.

I was lucky(sort of) my boat was stranded just 45 ft from the water. She took some heavy damage. The bobstay attachment was bent at a 45* angle and torn part way through the stem. My starboard sheet winch was pulled out through the coaming and lost and she lay beam on to the wind and waves and beat a 2in by 3ft hole along her rub rail. Her port chain plates are bent and all the interior wood on the port side was pushed in went the hull finally chewed through.

I emptied the boat the day after the storm to leave nothing for looters. We owners and livaboards banded together and worked(armed) security in 4-6hr shifts 24/7 for 23 days before the city finally got us a fence and 3days later an armed constable at the gate.

We had several run ins with a couple of local fat black women who demanded to know who we thought we were to keep them out of a public park. Well the sign did say the park was closed to the public. The police were called and they had somewhat less polite words for these people.

I stood up and blocked up "Turtle" my 1978 pacific Seacraft 25 right where she was still tied to her dock and did all the repair work right there. I didn't want any rain to get in and do any more damage. We didn't have any rain for 3wks after the storm.

This past Saturday myself and 7-8 of the guys from the marina, livaboards and other owners, lay Turtle over on a big skid and muscled her to the water. It took 9hrs of brute grunt work to move her 45 ft over broken concrete and then soft marsh ground.

She is the only boat to back in the water since the morning after the storm. We got 4 other boats away from their docks before the water receeded and could have gotten several more but were unable to do it due to not having anything to tow with in the strong winds.

In my opinion the docks failed because the pilings were to short. The city is of course claiming it was an act of god and they aren't responsible to put our boats back in the water. The entire hurricane prep from the marina management was "Lock the door when you leave". The only boat management tied up is also the only boat to have been sunk. When asked for a security guard the answer was "I'm not sure if thats my responsibility".

I am free to go with my boat but I am so sad to have to leave what I think was one of the best small marina communities ever....................m
Old 15-10-2008, 12:27   #36

cantxsailor:
Those pilings are ridiculously short. The tide can be as high as 3' under occasional, but normal, circumstances. That leaves 5 to 7 feet for surge? What were they thinking?
Old 15-10-2008, 18:28   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
cantxsailor:
Those pilings are ridiculously short. The tide can be as high as 3' under occasional, but normal, circumstances. That leaves 5 to 7 feet for surge? What were they thinking?

Could it be $$$$$$$$$$$$
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 19:31   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I think we have a very good case but the city is claiming an "act of God". I'm pretty sure God didn't have much to do with the engineering or building of those docks. One the "professionals" from Land and Sea amde the comment "but you knew they were to short so why did you stay". He may have a point but he's still a prick to say that to my face while trying figure out how much money he can make off my misfortune. Well not mine as such as Turtle is in the water although a bit worse for wear........m
Old 16-10-2008, 19:07   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Could it be $$$$$$$$$$$$
Well sure.... they could save money by using rubberbands for elevator cables too. Doesn't make it a responsible thing to do.
Old 03-11-2008, 20:14   #40

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
cantxsailor:

I am/was a neighbor of cantxsailor. (much better looking too I might add) My 32CC Oday suffered only a few scratches from the storm and when I found her resting securely in her slip I was relieved; but damn she was 50 yards from the water!

I have heard that the city had been advised during construction that the pilings for the floating docks were too short. (I think the piling height was closer to being 7 -7 1/2 at mean) I was also told that the city was advised to anchor the docks to keep them in place if they ever over-floated the pilings.

In searching for a new slip I havent seen any floating docks that failed (other than ours); and it seems that they all experienced a higher surge then we. As slips are now hard to find, I believe that more docks were lost than boats.

On another note, Progressive Insurance has treated me beyond my expectations. They were prompt, considerate and kept me advised. The adjuster came out, done a quickie assessment, told me they would look her over again once she is staged, and they would take care of anything we found then. I received a check in 5 days.

I merely mentioned to Progressive in passing that my new slip rent started Dec 1. They told me if we cant splash in time they would pick up my December slip rent.

After 12 years being insured by one of the majors, I just renewed my autos with Progressive too. They've earned my business.

BTW I have no affiliation with Progressive other than being a policy holder.

I visited Pleasure Island Marina east of Galveston Bay in Port Arthur. (all fixed docks) Without any exaggeration I estimated 98% of the boats are damaged and strewn all over the hard, with a hell of a lot of them totally beyond repair.

It was a solemn visit for me, and what really got me was walking through all the expensive boating gear strewn about and partially buried in the mud; anchors, Magma Grills, electronics, blocks, rigging, chain, cordage, compasses, etc. Things that we average boaters scrimp and budget for months in order to buy.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shopping