Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 10:49   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)
Re: I'm rejected. NEED Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernleyE View Post
Latest reason for rejection is the jump in size from previously owned boats. My biggest is the current on at 25'.

Emphasis on, "owned." Apparently have sailed/ raced Larger boats for several years is not relevant
This is one of the reasons why we own our current 34'. We will be upgrading to a 40-44' in a couple of years, and wanted the ownership history. Since we still own a house getting a combo of boat and umbrella liability coverage was pretty easy through our home/auto insurer.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:41   #17

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I

The latest issue of "Good Old Boat" magazine (May / June 2022) is a theme issue devoted to getting insurance for older boats -- lots of articles and very specific advice.

Wish I had it last year when I was stuck, too. (Here in Canada, I eventually got insurance after weeks of hunting because I engaged a very well known and highly regarded surveyor, who gave me the advice "Go with such-and-such an insurer. I have a relationship with them. I'll call them and tell them your boat is worth a policy.)
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 13:27   #18

1982, a very old boat, at 40 years young. That is going to make insurance underwriting more difficult to obtain. Perhaps a liability only policy might be available.

If you do find value coverage, be sure to note the depreciation clauses, especially with Geico / BoatUS, as their recent policy change decreases value by 10% per year on boats over 10 years of age, so basically goes to nil.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 14:52   #19
Marine Service Provider

Try calling a true yacht insurance broker. There are several good ones..these are two of the best.

https://www.gowrie.com/Marine-Insura...atsYachts.aspx

https://www.markelinsurance.com

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 16:09   #20

Boat: LH43-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Hi, FernleyE,
I am working out insurance myself, so have been taking notes from the recent insurance challenge threads. It is going to depend on where you are, where you want to use the boat, what kind of insurance you want, and the age of the boat among other things. Also, it is going to require some digital leg work, though maybe you can find a good broker that does the let work for you. Here are my notes, still early in the process:
Thanks for this. Just did a refit practically caused by GEICO. Would not renew with them ever! Decided to go through a broker with our latest survey.
JollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 11:38   #21

Boat: Hunter 46

BoatUS apparently does not insure boats that old. Go to a marine insurance broker. I did that and selected Chubb for my 1984 boat.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 11:51   #22

Boat: Hunter 49 - 2007

Try Admiralty Insurance. They specialize in marine policies and I have used them for over 20 years. https://admiraltyinsurance.com/
Daziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 12:01   #23
Marine Service Provider

I have liability only for my 1969 built Newport 41" which is required by most all marinas and yacht clubs.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 12:05   #24

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernleyE View Post
The refusal occurred before I was even able to request any specific coverage.
BoatUS/Geico told you they don't insure boats of that age. A longer discussion with them will not change that. Time to see if you can find another insurer. As suggested above, perhaps one that would issue liability coverage.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 12:06   #25

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Hi, FernleyE,
I am working out insurance myself, so have been taking notes from the recent insurance challenge threads. It is going to depend on where you are, where you want to use the boat, what kind of insurance you want, and the age of the boat among other things. Also, it is going to require some digital leg work, though maybe you can find a good broker that does the let work for you. Here are my notes, still early in the process:
  • Progressive
    6/2/22: Spoke with Dave.
    Progressive insures up to 50’.
    There are hurricane restrictions of 35’ max for some MD zip codes.
    $60K max hull coverage on boats over 20 years old.
  • Markel
    Two agents in MD.
    Gowrie Group, Annapolis, MD, 800-262-8911, overall good google reviews, though one was scathing about duplicate billing and very high premiums.
    Jack Martin & Associates, Annapolis, MD, 800-497-5804, https://jackmartin.com/, good google reviews.
    6/6/22: Submitted request for quote online, based on ‘81 Mariner 39.
    6/7/22: Received Progressive quote of $1068/year.
  • American Marine Insurance
    Based out of CA.
    6/6/22: Received quote form to fill out. They also want a copy of the most recent survey.
  • https://maritimeinsuranceinternational.com/
  • Pantaenius
  • Edward William and Northern Reef are scams.
  • International Waters Insurance Services - Australia only?
  • Al Golden at International Marine Insurance Services (IMIS) - Brokers ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lden-1840.html. Expect he's long-retired, but might still offer some useful advice.
  • IMIS ➥ https://gowrie.com/Marine-Insurance/...neProgram.aspx
  • Chubb
  • Bluewateryachtinsurance.net
  • ANJO, a Massey company.
    They can not cover any USA navigation, only vessels permanently in the Caribbean.
  • Club Marine - For Australian boaters
  • jackline
Minor edit- Sadly, Al Gooden passed away, but his son is on the job.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 13:13   #26

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Progressive insured my 1975 Tartan 41 (agreed value) without even requiring a survey. I sold the boat in 2020, so they may not insure now.. But worth a try. It was inexpensive as well. $800/yr ish for $40k value I think I paid.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 13:28   #27

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I know the NAIC license insurance companies, but I don't know if your marina requires all boat insurance to be NAIC licensed. If you have access to $300k or $500k (whatever the min your marina req's), What prevents you from registering a Corp and underwriting the insurance on your boat yourself? Assuming you are okay taking the risk. Does it break any laws...? not that I know of but it's not my area.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 13:31   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38

Hi, I am a sailor and insurance agent, if you’d like to email me I maybe able to help. Laurs@Marineimsurance.cc
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 13:32   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38

Sorry, Laura@Marineinsurance.cc
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 14:24   #30

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
BoatUS apparently does not insure boats that old. Go to a marine insurance broker. I did that and selected Chubb for my 1984 boat.
This is not an advertisement for BoatUS or Geico.
My boat was built in 1983 and I am still insured with Geico. They just renewed me again this year. Or course the premium went up again as it does every year for probably any insurance company and the hull value was decreased slightly, but I have to say that Geico was very good to me with my last two claims. My boat really got beat up bad in hurricane Florence and I was very pleased with Geico‘s response and service.
Yes, this may not last, but as long as they honor their claims and don’t raise their rates too high I will stay with them.

Al, S/V Finlandia

Tags
insurance