Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2024, 13:56   #1

Import boat part to Canada from US

I am a US Citizen and Cap is a USCG Registered vessel. While in Vancouver BC we are having repairs done, and some parts are being FedEx’d to us from the US to be installed on the boat in Vancouver. It was my understanding that we did not have to pay import taxes on the cost of these parts. The total cost will be around $600. As I said, the boat is a US registered boat. Can anyone explain the taxes to me?
Capesterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 16:30   #2

Re: Import boat part to Canada from US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capesterre View Post
I am a US Citizen and Cap is a USCG Registered vessel. While in Vancouver BC we are having repairs done, and some parts are being FedEx’d to us from the US to be installed on the boat in Vancouver. It was my understanding that we did not have to pay import taxes on the cost of these parts. The total cost will be around $600. As I said, the boat is a US registered boat. Can anyone explain the taxes to me?
There really is nothing to know if you are shipping by any of the major shipping companies, they will handle the details. In the USA, there is a de minimus for commercial shipments that was $2500 last I checked. This is why you can buy things direct from vendors in China without fussing on duty. I would imagine Canada does similar, although not all countries do this exemption by any means.

We once shipped a boat part from France that was below the de minimus amount when the paper work was prepared, but by the time it arrived at the FedEx center in the USA a currency value shift bumped it over the de minimus value by $0.25. FedEx called for a cc number to cover the duty we now owed. It wasn’t much but it needed to be paid before the package could be released.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 16:57   #3

Boat: Grampian 30

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/p...drttx-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html
Choose Automotive and Parts for boat parts.
When I enter your info: BC, Automotive, Parts, $600 CDN I get $72 duty owing.

If you can have the seller provide a proof of manufacture that the goods are 100% US made then you will pay lower duty.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 19:49   #4

Don't ask us amatoors!

The tariff (customs duty payable as a percentage ad valorum) of the item will differ from item to item depending on what the item is.

As Nekton sez, "Country of Origin" of the gizmo also affects the tariff.

Phone a reputable firm of Customs Brokers in Vancouver, such as Davidson & Sons, and read to them how the part is described on the invoice. They will tell you the tariff.

When I was involved in customs brokerage years ago it was possible for non-Canadians to obtain a "draw-back" (refund of duty paid) if the article on which the duty was paid was subsequently exported from Canada (and could be shown to have been exported!).

There would be 12% GST (VAT to you) payable on top of any customs duty.

So as I said - don't ask us amatoors. Get it from the horse's mouth. Phone a customs broker!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada, import