Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2008, 13:50   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 38T
Insurance Estimate

Dear Cruisers-

My wife and I have (at your encouragement) decided to sell off our worldly possessions and hit the sea. We do not yet own the boat we want, but will have it and be on the water in 18 months max.

We are working on budgets and lists right now, and I'm trying to get an estimate what insurance will cost. I have had zero luck getting a ballpark figure from ANY companies. They simply won't give me an estimate until I actually own the boat and have a survey done.

Can anyone please give me a ballpark what a reasonably high-deductible insurance will cost on a 40', $125K boat? What about just liability insurance? There won't be a bank loan to worry about.

Thanks!
jkirstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 13:56   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just like the insurance companies that will be a difficult one. I am sure people will start popping in with comparisons, so you can kind of get a feel for the cost.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 14:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I would think you would be looking in the area of $2000. per year
Old 18-03-2008, 14:06   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
It depends a lot on where you will be sailing, and where and how you will store your boat during hurricane season, if that applies to where you will be.

My insurance, with a 2% deductible (4% for named storms), sailing area Caribbean, stored onshore in a steel cradle on Antigua in the summer, would cost about $2,500/yr for the hull value you mentioned.
Old 18-03-2008, 14:06   #5

It depends on the boat condition and your experience. We have a 1977 41' Ketch and our insurance for replacment value of 125K is around 2K a year. Of course I can't travel anywhere I want which is one of the sticky things with insurance companies - they have you by the .........

If I were to leave on extended cruising, I would drop the insurance all together but that's just my choice and I would not recomend that for everyone.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 14:09   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 38T
Thank you. I have an idea now. I don't mind NOT having insurance, it just sounds like at least liability is required many places these days.

jk
jkirstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 14:12   #7

We are less then 1% agreed upon value here in the Great Lakes but have a rather short season.

The quotes I have for going offshore are ~1.75% of the agreed upon value plus passage insurance.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 14:19   #8

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirstein View Post
Thank you. I have an idea now. I don't mind NOT having insurance, it just sounds like at least liability is required many places these days.

jk
Hello
I found buying just liability insurance a very hard thing to do. All the companies I talked to refused to even quote a price unless I also bought hull insurance. If you come across a company that is willing to sell just liability please post it on the forum.
Thanks
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:49   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Among other things it will depend on your sailing resume, whether you have every owned a similar boat before, or havelogged hours on it. Or have taken a boating safety course or other formal training. And the age of the boat. And the survey. And the sailings water that you are asking coverage for.

All of that before deductibles and limits are mentioned.

You might try calling Al Golden at IMSI, 1-800-541-4647. Catch them when they are not very busy and he'll gladly explain some of the variations--including the ones in poilicies that you'd never think to ask about--and he might even give you some ballpark figures.

Mind you, between this year and next year those numbers could change wildly, if there is a lot of storm damage this coming season.

I suspect that a lot of companies here "I only need liability" and to them it sounds like "I have no concern about my own losses but someone said I have to get this stuff" which sounds like a much greater risk than "I've got this really valuable boat that I'd like to insure and protect and take great care of...."

Al and IMSI are not the cheapest--but they are top-line pros and old-fashioned gentlemen. And often very competitive.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 08:47   #10

Al and IMSI are not the cheapest--but they are top-line pros and old-fashioned gentlemen. And often very competitive.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to Al's people at IMSI and they have no interest in quoting on liability only saying there is not enough premium to make it worth their while.
Old 24-03-2008, 09:03   #11

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Shop around. I insured with my broker just to have it at first: over $900 per year for a decent policy. Shopped specialty companies some were lower some were not. Finally bought a policy from a local broker (where the boat is moored) for less than half, including a towing benefit and lower deductables. It really varies. And, bless you for insuring, you're the boat I want next to mine!
Old 24-03-2008, 09:05   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Do you have home or auto insurance? Maybe an umbrella liability policy would take care of that for you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 15:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Do you have home or auto insurance? Maybe an umbrella liability policy would take care of that for you.
Hellosailor
Yes I have home owners insurance, auto insurance for 5 cars, liability through a company that I still own and a large umbrella policy on top of it all. The insurance company will most likely pay in case of injury to others but they like to have items like boat, car and house covered separately. I race a small car with the SCCA, the car is not street legal and cannot be insured in the normal way. When at the race track it is covered by the SCCA's blanket policy and when not at the track my liability policies as above cover me, so I don't see why it would not cover the boat. I guess I will just have to beat up on my insurance broker to do a little research for me.
Old 25-03-2008, 08:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I doubt that policy would cover the boat properly...you need to be covered for things like an oil spill, destroying marine environment. Not typical to a land based liability policy.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:52   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
IMIS will indeed offer liability only policies (as a general rule). I would encourage you to contact Al directly if an agent who works there has told you they will not do so, or send us a PM.