Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2008, 08:17   #91

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Funniest Stock Market Quote This Week

"This is worse than a divorce. I've lost half of my net worth and I'm still married".
Old 28-10-2008, 08:47   #92

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
"This is worse than a divorce. I've lost half of my net worth and I'm still married".
Excellent!
Old 29-10-2008, 09:21   #93
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Dave - thanks for the quote. I haven't had a lot to laugh at this last two month but that one got me going. I'm passing it around to about everyone I know.

Hey - the good news if if you have any money and want to buy a boat in Europe, it got 15% cheaper this month.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 11:53   #94
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
Dave - thanks for the quote. I haven't had a lot to laugh at this last two month but that one got me going. I'm passing it around to about everyone I know.

Hey - the good news if if you have any money and want to buy a boat in Europe, it got 15% cheaper this month.
It would be more correct to put it this way, rigmarole:

"If you have any $US, and want to buy a boat in Europe, it got 15% cheaper in Euros this month."

The recent phenomenon of the rocketing rise in the $US should be regarded with a great deal of skepticism, in my view. It is largely a function of the panic which swept the markets over the last couple of months, as investors all tried to sell their equities at the same time and then moved the proceeds into the "safety" of US Treasuries.

Keep in mind the adage that "nothing grows to the sky," so just as the rising $US looks like a rocket launch on a chart, it will resemble a rocket that fails to reach orbit, runs out of fuel, then falls like space-junk as order is restored to the markets.

So many buy orders went into US Treasuries that the yield dropped to levels well-below the rate of inflation - in other words, investors were paying the government a premium for the privilege of lending it their money. Incredible.

A lengthy period of inflation is already "baked into the cake," as they say. But don't take my word for it. The following is from Anna Schwartz, who wrote A Monetary History of the United States with Milton Friedman:

Tearing Into the Fed and Treasury Plans - Barrons.com

TaoJones
Old 29-10-2008, 12:19   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
so just as the rising $US looks like a rocket launch on a chart, it will resemble a rocket that fails to reach orbit, runs out of fuel, then falls like space-junk as order is restored to the markets.
There are also boats in the Caribbean which are priced in Euros and Pounds. So, someone holding dollars (or better yet, yen) may have a window of opportunity to get a substantial discount. However, Tao is right. The dollar will likely fall back soon - just today the Fed cut rates.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:53   #96
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Tao, thanks for the correction. Narrow minded of me for such a worldly diverse forum as this. I'm still watching prices for boats. Regardless of denomination there should be some good deals on the horizon.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 13:01   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Lost half his net worth? ...Thats why you diversify, and I don't mean having more than one wife.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 13:12   #98
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Lost half his net worth? ...Thats why you diversify, and I don't mean having more than one wife.
Yes, diversification is a plausible theory under stable market conditions, but in the recent panic-selling there was literally no place to hide. When sellers are desperate to sell at any price, one sees the mirror image of Greenspan's "irrational exuberance." That is, irrational panic.

In such conditions, it's probably safer to have more than one wife than a fully-invested portfolio.

TaoJones
Old 29-10-2008, 13:15   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I'm diversified. I've got Shell AND Exxon.... Hey, wait a minute...
Old 29-10-2008, 13:59   #100

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
For what it's worth, we're extraordinarily diversified in our investments and have been in a defensive mode for years. The current market has wiped out all of the gains we saw over the previous 12-years. Playing by the rules doesn't always mean you'll win, nor will obsessing about it restore lost funds. The upside is that, for at least a little while, the U.S. will have a chance to grow up and start acting a little more responsible. Unfortunately, our government is more concerned about a citizen revolt than really solving the problems (as in let capitalism work and let the markets collapse and let the companies go under the way they're supposed to do when they screw up!).

Cheers!
Captain HoBo
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 18:54   #101

To quote an advisor who is either wise or mad... (and I'm certain that I misquote)

The only animals who'll get hurt are the chickens and the pigs. The chickens who've sold their equities after the plunge and locked in their losses, and the pigs who are 1-2 years from retirement and overweighted in equities.

To the rest of us; Dollar Cost Averaging, Baby.
Old 30-10-2008, 04:59   #102

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
there was literally no place to hide.
There's always cash if you see it coming.
Having fun now buying it all back.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 06:54   #103

So what have we learned in 2 millennia?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must once again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero-55BC

Apparently nothing.
Old 30-10-2008, 07:18   #104

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
There are also boats in the Caribbean which are priced in Euros and Pounds. So, someone holding dollars (or better yet, yen) may have a window of opportunity to get a substantial discount. However, Tao is right. The dollar will likely fall back soon - just today the Fed cut rates.

Nevermind
Old 30-10-2008, 07:20   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I doubt that Marcus Tullius Cicero ever actually wrote/uttered such a statement.
Do you have any documentation supporting the veracity of the alleged quotation?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote